1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More TV shows of what I like to call "New Age"?

Discussion in 'Music, Box Office, TV & Books' started by Anominity, 12 Apr 2010.

1. Anominity

Hitman

I am basicly looking for more TV shows of what I refer to as the new age TV shows, you know, the ones which have added a bit more grit to the previous era's shows, as well as seeming to take more care with cinematography, and clean / beautiful sets.

The ones I watch currently which I put into this category are these (I will try to explain what I mean more thoroughly):

Lost - The always guessing, the good acting, the beautiful scenes and excellent camera work.

FlashForward -
    Fringe - Both of these are just leagues ahead of the likes of CSI / 24 / NCIS type shows (imo) as they are more "serious" in that there is very little in the way of joking around, people are in DANGER, so they don't go around making rediculous 1 liners etc. (I would say more "realistic" but, alas, that doesn't seem to fit with what these two are about!)

Legend of the Seeker - When I watch this I think of the old Hercules, and Xena Warrior Princess, but done with good actors, far superior script writers and alot more death :p

Stargate Universe - As above really with Fringe / Flashforward, gone is the tongue in cheek almost comedy feel of the show, and I for one am grateful!

And of course the Godfather of this style, Battlestar Galactica, this as far as I am concerned is the best piece of TV in the past 20 years!

Now if anyone has made it through my WoT, could any of you recommend any other shows that follow this type of "genre"?

2. daz

Capodecina

I think you have to include 24 since it practically kick started this type of television, at least this current wave in the last 8-10 years.

3. Anominity

Hitman

Maybe that is just personal preference, but I never liked it and count it as part of the old kind.

Though a couple more I forgot to mention are:

True Blood

and the FIRST season of Prison Break (went far downhill after that)

4. goujon945

Hitman

I'm sorry but i'm struggling to understand what you are talking about. So basically 'new age' just means shows that you like? Lost and Battlestar have pretty much nothing in common.

5. Anominity

Hitman

Its nothing to do with what the shows are about, maybe I did not clarify enough. To me the ones I have listed just seem more...crisp....gritty....realistic (In terms of the way the characters react to situations etc) than anything else.

I won't discount the possibility that maybe I am seeing something that isn't there though.

6. FoxEye

Caporegime

Personally - talking about SG-1 here - I liked the ability they had not to take themselves too seriously.

O'Neil and Tealc teeing off into the stargate f.t.w :p

[edit: f.t.w is censored?]

7. Edward01

Wise Guy

So The Wire, Sopranos?

8. shorttricky

Wise Guy

Wire
    Sopranos
    Breaking Bad
    Dexter
    True Blood
    Sons of Anarchy

9. SixTwoSix

Capodecina

So basically by "new age" you mean post-2000 :)

10. Shamikebab

Capo Crimine

See I'm confused, you basically described 24 then said that wasn't one :confused:

11. Fubsy

Sgarrista

This.

The OP is just wrong to not include it, sorry.

12. afoster

Gangster

FlashForward isn't in the same league as Lost in my opinion.. It tries to be, but it really isn't.

Shorttricky pretty much summed it up with:

The Wire
    Sons of Anarchy
    Breaking Bad
    Dexter

And perhaps throw in Damages for good measure.

13. d3moliti0n

Wise Guy

Six Feet Under, Deadwood, Carnivale

14. Vonhelmet

Caporegime

Flashforward is one of the worst shows of recent times.

The Wire is brilliant. Watch that.

15. qqg3

Soldato

I really think 24 could be seen as the start of this "new age" as you call it, but really this style was developed at the turn of the century as widescreen capabilities became more popular.

In terms of cinematography, certianly the early seasons of 24 were on top, introducing the close up, hand-held, soft focus look that is now so common.

In terms of production value, this century has plenty of awesome shows, of which Flash Forward is not!

16. daz

Capodecina

I think what the OP is looking for is the development of TV shows with practically movie budgets. The quality of actors, directing, stories and special effects - just the whole package can be pretty impressive these days.

17. Vonhelmet

Caporegime

In that case, Heroes.

18. sid

Soldato

I would agree that 24 definately started it all.

Its the oldest show I still watch, started in 2001, followed then by lost , bsg heroes etc

sid

19. arknor

Caporegime

spartacus blood and sand is truly epic! takes a few eps to get into though.

dont think any uk tv stations have picked it up yet

20. SixTwoSix

Capodecina

Please, for seriousness sake, tell me you only mean Season 1, the following seasons have been absurdly bad.