Most disappointing game of this year for you?

Associate
Red Alert 3, completely heartbroken over this one

Warhammer online, paid a fortune for the CE box but didnt play it more than the free month... mainly because friends left for WoW:WotLK.

Associate
Most disappointing game has to be Far Cry 2. I did the first few missions, almost died of boredom, then sold it on.
In fact, I think it's been a fairly poor year in general. Tomb Raider: Underworld was a bit naff compared to the last two, and Fallout 3 had a lot of potential but for me fell very short.
Mass Effect was good, but could have been so much better had they not just copied and pasted the same planet 20 times and left them bereft of anything to do on them. The first planet was great, and had me thinking this could be the next KOTOR, but it wasn't to be.
The better titles this year for me have been Prince of Persia (finally found all the crystals) and the suprisingly brilliant Dead Space.
In the casual section, World of Goo was pretty good.

Associate
and looking back at 2007, it's no wonder 2008 seemed so bad. 2007 gave us Portal, The Lost Crown, Puzzle Quest, Peggle, HL2 Ep2, Tomb Raider Anniversary, Team Fortress 2, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., and the brilliant Bioshock and The Witcher.

Soldato
OP
Most disappointing game has to be Far Cry 2. I did the first few missions, almost died of boredom, then sold it on.
In fact, I think it's been a fairly poor year in general. Tomb Raider: Underworld was a bit naff compared to the last two, and Fallout 3 had a lot of potential but for me fell very short.
Mass Effect was good, but could have been so much better had they not just copied and pasted the same planet 20 times and left them bereft of anything to do on them. The first planet was great, and had me thinking this could be the next KOTOR, but it wasn't to be.
The better titles this year for me have been Prince of Persia (finally found all the crystals) and the suprisingly brilliant Dead Space.
In the casual section, World of Goo was pretty good.

Really? I actually thought Underworld was really nice....

Not played FO3 much yet, but it wasn't really on my list of games I seriously wanted to play, so I probably won't be to disappointed either way.

Soldato
Far cry 2.

For a couple of hours i thought it was ok, but then it dawned on me it was an unmitigated pile of ****.

Caporegime
Mass Effect was great, yes the side worlds were all basically crap, not exactly carbon copies with different types of planets but they all played the same. THe only thing was you didn't need to play them at all, offered nothing except a little extra game time. UNforuntately its not quite as long as you think if you don't do the side missions. But the main 3/4 planets were fantastically designed with brilliant story(been a while, seem to remember the Citadel, 2 main planet mission places other than that and the final planet before back to Citadel, might be forgetting one and the starter area was a "proper" planet design but rather short compared to the others).

Really I would have prefered a longer main story line, far less side mission style planets and another 1/2 main planets. But you can see the design time for a basic planet vs a story driven main planet with lots of NPC's and story takes a lot longer. IIRC Kotor had more main planets but no side mission stuff. I honestly think though that a Kotor length game wouldn't have gone down well with todays console users, those that want achievements went and collected all the crap, those that didn't got a slightly less long game than they deserved.

Caporegime
Far Cry 2.

Doesn't deserve the name, as the original was such a masterpeice and this is, well, an utter bucket of failslop.

Never has a game made me want to lynch the developer before!

Back
Top Bottom