Most disappointing game of this year for you?

Associate
Three games stand out for me as epic failures:

Far Cry 2 - How did they get the gameplay so wrong?? It had so much potential.

STALKER Clear Sky - Buggy as hell, didn't live up to SoC.

CoD5 - Makes STALKER look well coded and tested, utter joke, never buying a game developed by Treyarch again.

Soldato
You're all nuts. Far Cry 2 was one of the games of the year in my very lonely opinion. Respawning checkpoints were better than the alternative (traversing vast wastelands with nobody in them) and I was more than willing to put up with them for the genuinely open-world gameplay it offered.
For me, most disappointing game of the year = Left 4 Dead. It wasn't necessarily anything Valve/Turtle Rock did wrong, I was just looking forward to it so much then found it wasn't really my kind of game.

Permabanned
Spore, because I hate the way that EA took a great idea and turned it into an absolute travesty like they do with every bloody game they touch. Not to mention the fact that they're already churning out micro-transaction add-ons that in reality should have been in the bloody game from the off.

Soldato
I played Need for Speed: Undercover at a friends a couple of days ago and it is genuinely awful. You just have no sense of anything.. It's so bland it's unreal. It's NOTHING compared to Most Wanted.

Red Alert 3

Far Cry 2

Mercenaries 2

GTA:IV (let down by the fact it didn't live up to the insane amount of hype, not that anything else would... Still a good game though, just not THAT good).

All pretty damn disappointing.

Associate
Need for Speed Undercover. Dire. So dire that even EA finally decided enough is enough and canned the series.

I thought that FC2 was ok, but definitely overhyped (mainly by a certain PC Gamer review that lost the mag any credibility it had imo).

Caporegime
Spore, because I hate the way that EA took a great idea and turned it into an absolute travesty like they do with every bloody game they touch. Not to mention the fact that they're already churning out micro-transaction add-ons that in reality should have been in the bloody game from the off.

what has EA got to do with it. IT was a crap game because the guys plan was essentially to creat 5(or was it 6) completely different games and never once, till obviously way to far in, realise that it would take 5 times as long as normal to make 5 full games, so created 5 incredibly cut down pointlessly boring crap games and stuck them together.

THe idea he had was great, but it was NEVER ever going to work. It needed to basically run in the same way right the way through rather than 5 "sub games" but after the idea sounds great can you really come up with a way for the interface for the first stage to suit gameplay wise to the space age stage or any inbetween.

Often the worst flops are games that simply WAY over reach what is remotely possible in the timeframe and ability of what they have. The best games make things simply with a great story line and add maybe 1/2 solid new idea's to an established format... COD4, HL1/2, etc, etc, etc. Almost all the games trying mostly just to be original fail massively.

But blaming an idea that would never work, on EA's involvement is even more stupid IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom