Most ridiculous world cup merchandising

Associate
There are some lovely England wheel trims in a pub near me, only seen them on a local radio stations 4x4 though, surprisingly.

Soldato
It's all getting rather tiring. Admittedly Im not a football fan, but yeah I do watch the world cup when its on. But come on.........its getting rather annoying to have "OMG WORLDS CUP!!!11!!!1oneoen!!1eoeleven!!" everytime you switch on the TV or radio, or even step outside your front door.

Thing is, its mainly just companies using the world cup to sell a crap load of cheap merchandise, and people are lapping it up. I work in SportsWorld (and hate it) and every weekend when Im on the till, I put through more and more England branded merchandise for people gripped with "World Cup Fever".

Yeah its a big event, but personally Im tired of hearing about it. And you know we aren't gonna win anyway, no matter how much tat you buy.

Soldato
I don't see any problem with this.

Football brings up a passion amongst people. A load of people crowded round a tv in a pub cheering on a team and all enjoying themselves. No harm in that.

Some company making a few extra £'s by branding some daily goods with world cup stuff, it's fun and again no harm done.

Also, if you "hate" your job, why the hell do you do it? You only live once...

Soldato
It's not just the world cup the exact same thing happens at Christmas time and to a lesser extent at Easter, Fathers Day, Mothers Day, Wimbledon, Olympics etc. It's the corporate world we live in and it's not going away

Soldato
Tesla said:
I don't see any problem with this.

Football brings up a passion amongst people. A load of people crowded round a tv in a pub cheering on a team and all enjoying themselves. No harm in that.

Some company making a few extra £'s by branding some daily goods with world cup stuff, it's fun and again no harm done.

Also, if you "hate" your job, why the hell do you do it? You only live once...

Fair enough, I just get the feeling that it if you aren't joining in with it all you are looked down upon. Just can't seem to get away from it nowadays :)

Maybe its the area I live in. I was out in the town on Saturday night. As I walked down the highstreet, coming the other way was a group of very drunk fellas, whooping and hollering about England, etc, looking like they were just out to cause trouble. It's rather intimidating, and I have probably just managed to associate football with hooliganism round here.

It's the same with the England car flags debate. True, not everyone who has one on their car is a complete ****wit who cant drive, but I admit, that when I see a car full of chavs or other similar social stereotypes speed past with music pumping and England flags adorning every available crevice, I can't help but grind my teeth a bit, and then I associate such asshattery with anyone I see with those England flags hanging out of their cars.

And they took over my old company last week, need to look for another job.

Last edited:
Soldato
Conscript said:
Fair enough, I just get the feeling that it if you aren't joining in with it all you are looked down upon. Just can't seem to get away from it nowadays :)
Yeah I agree. My friends were telling me to put an England flag as my MSN avatar. Which I'd probably go along with if it was for St Georges day or some other nationally significant event, but I know it was just about the football so I refused. Well I compromised, I used a union jack so it wouldn't be associated with football.

It's kind of sad that St George's cross isn't really a national flag anymore, it's the symbol for a football team.

Soldato
I wish i'd bought a load of England flags for the cars before the world cup. Especially when you can get a box of 100 flags for £15! Could've made a killing down the local high street. :D

SCM

SCM

Associate
Spunj99 said:
I love the fact Mars, Barclays and other companies have these adverts basically saying, "We're backing England!". But they've also got them in several other countries saying "We're backing <insert country name>!".

Cheap. :/

Thats because they started the advertising in other countries in the UK for England only and the complaints flooded in. Quick change to the campaign in Scotland to make it support our 2010 qualification bid for Mars bars at least.

Still it didnt work for Mars bars as some shops are reporting an 80% drop in sales as people are boycotting them now in Scotland lol

SCM

Tru

Tru

Soldato
SCM said:
Thats because they started the advertising in other countries in the UK for England only and the complaints flooded in. Quick change to the campaign in Scotland to make it support our 2010 qualification bid for Mars bars at least.

Still it didnt work for Mars bars as some shops are reporting an 80% drop in sales as people are boycotting them now in Scotland lol

SCM
The new Mars Bars went on sale the other day, I've scanned the wrapper and reproduced it below....

Support.jpg

Associate
The Pat said:
Theres the football shaped cokes, that are more expense and hold less than cans.

Saw them down in town yesterday, they're something like 80p and hold about the same as those small 30p cans which is ever so slightly stupid...

Also seen things like bread rolls that are in special world cup packaging.

Back
Top Bottom