MOT advisories

Soldato
Did the CV gaiters over the last couple of days. Was planning on getting them all done on Sunday; rather than go through the hassle of taking off the driveshaft I bought a pair of split gaiters to glue together around the driveshaft. Funnily enough, the first one went fine, but the second was a bit more of a chore, the stupid thing kept splitting after glueing, for some reason. Anyway with some more CV grease and several tubes of superglue (having used up the original supplies), we got it sealed the day before yesterday. I gave it 24 hours to properly harden, just in case, before driving it anywhere and gave it a more thorough test-drive today when I took it to Shrewsbury, and it's stayed patent. :)

I wouldn't trust those personally. I know it's a pain taking the hub to pieces but there is no inherent weak link in a proper gaiter. They cost pence and take maybe two hours per side to fit. In your case i'd think it could end up as a few hundred at a garage for two driveshafts.

Keep an eye on them, i split one on my ZX and didn't notice for a few days. Changed the gaiter, a week later and the shaft started knocking.

Back
Top Bottom