Motherboard up in flames - Advice please

Associate
Hi All,

Just after I had purchased a new SSD, and re-formatted and installed windows 10 onto the new hard drive, i had power issues. If you look on the image below, the fire broke out where the MemOK! & EPU Switch is... Before this happened, the computer would not respond to switching on. The green light at the bottom of the motherboard was on, showing a current of power, however that was about it, theres also normally a red light towards the top (thats on when everything is ok) and this would NOT light up. After leaving the computer off and disconnected from the mains for a few hours, I re-attempted to turn it on, this time it did turn on for enough time to display a windows 10 blue screen error stating something along the lines of CRITICAL ERROR, and boom, the smell and white flashes started coming out of my computer, as well as the smoke from the motherboard (which has marked the white chasis of my case, and appears to have come from the back of the motherboard, beneath the memok and epu switch. Im a student, and an amateur system builder, I know the majority of the system is pretty old but all fairness this system has run under 30 degrees celsius on optimal usage, near 40 degrees celsius on max gaming. Now, coming up to 4am in the morning, i attempted to switch on the computer again, and funnily enough it turned on? after a few seconds it would restart, and then remain on for awhile.. however whenever I tried to plug the monitor in to see what was going on, the computer system wouldnt turn on? After research, It appears to be the VRM that blew, but im no expert, how could this have been caused? is this a result from a faulty PSU?? Any help, and tips, id hope my CPU/RAM atleast works, how could I test all of my other components.. also when I turned the PC back on at 4am, I noticed the CPU cooler fan would not spin? all chasis fans worked fine.

Entire system is almost 6 years old, apart from the graphics card and psu.. My system specs:

Intel Core i5-2500k 3.3GHz
Asus P8P67 Intel P67 DDR3 motherboard B3 Revision
Corsair Veneance 8GB (2x4GB)
Akasa AK-CCX-4002HP Venom CPU Cooler
MSI GeForce GTX 970 Gaming Edition 4096MB (2 YRS OLD)
Antec High Current Gamer M620W "80+ (2 YRS OLD & 5 YR Warranty)

https://www.asus.com/websites/global/products/Qx3PdnZI9Pq9BcIU/product_overview.jpg

** Do Not Hotlink Images **

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
If you look on the image below, the fire broke out where the MemOK! & EPU Switch is...
i attempted to switch on the computer again, and funnily enough it turned on? after a few seconds it would restart, and then remain on for awhile.. however whenever I tried to plug the monitor in to see what was going on, the computer system wouldnt turn on?
Any help, and tips, id hope my CPU/RAM atleast works, how could I test all of my other components..
My first tip is don't switch it on again - ever.

You were lucky that no other components were taken out when it blew initially. The more you power it on the more you'll increase the odds of damaging other components.

Unfortunately, you'll need another 'known working' compatible motherboard to test your components.

But you could test the PSU with a multimeter - but only if you know what you're doing.

Associate
OP
Hi Plec, noted, wont switch it on again. I've been looking on the overclockers site, LGA1155 sockets are pretty outdated nowadays arent they? mobo/cpu bundles arent as cheap as they used to be (for my budget atleast). I've looked up the multimeter, I'd try to avoid it I guess, hopefully Antec offer me some support, but do you think this issue has arisen from the PSU? or a mobo thats just died of old age? Im just afraid of purchasing replacement parts for it to be blown up again.

Soldato
Hi Plec, noted, wont switch it on again. I've been looking on the overclockers site, LGA1155 sockets are pretty outdated nowadays arent they? mobo/cpu bundles arent as cheap as they used to be (for my budget atleast). I've looked up the multimeter, I'd try to avoid it I guess, hopefully Antec offer me some support, but do you think this issue has arisen from the PSU? or a mobo thats just died of old age?
Yes, the 1155 boards are ridiculous money on the bay - i've struggled to get a few members decent second hand boards - but it's not possible without MM access (You need 1000 posts). You're looking at £100+ on average for decent z68/z77 - which is nuts...

You may need to consider selling the parts individually and buying a new format - Ryzen.

Could be the result of the PSU but could equally be the motherboard gave up the ghost. It appears on the face of it that the MB died - but i would still check the PSU before connecting to another PC.

Associate
OP
Yeah I was having the same thoughts, been checking online and obviously prices have kept up to what they were six years ago when I purchased the mobo. Im going to try and look around, maybe a local shop is kind enough to test my PSU and CPU if possible, best case scenario I'll have to purchase a new motherboard & cpu, maybe update myself to a 1151 socket... PC gaming will have to be put on hold :(

Soldato
Yeah I was having the same thoughts, been checking online and obviously prices have kept up to what they were six years ago when I purchased the mobo. Im going to try and look around, maybe a local shop is kind enough to test my PSU and CPU if possible, best case scenario I'll have to purchase a new motherboard & cpu, maybe update myself to a 1151 socket... PC gaming will have to be put on hold :(
You mentioned that you're a student - any chance your college has a tech department?

Wouldn't take them 5 minutes to check your PSU for you.

I would recommend the Ryzen route over the 1151 - longevity of socket and cheaper upgrade path. Plus, they're great bang for buck.

Associate
OP
They do, but unlucky for me I have just finished University in the UK, and returned home overseas! So no physical access to the plethora of tech they have :mad: Just looking into the AMD Ryzen, looks promising! I may just switch to AMD after so many years of Intel.

Soldato
They do, but unlucky for me I have just finished University in the UK, and returned home overseas! So no physical access to the plethora of tech they have :mad:
You could google the multimeter PSU test (not just the paper clip test) - but you need to be careful. If unsure - take it to a shop.

ust looking into the AMD Ryzen, looks promising! I may just switch to AMD after so many years of Intel.

This is an example Ryzen build - you could easily swap out the 16Gb for 8Gb - but more and more games are utilising this amount of memory.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £398.43
(includes shipping: £10.50)

Associate
OP

Thank you Plec! Thats a pretty good combo, especially for my budget, Hopefully i can reuse my 8GB ram that im currently using and maybe match it with another 8GB, but worst comes to worst (if they are dead, ill purchase the 16gb) Going to hopefully test out this PSU, and if all good ill go for the ryzen mobo/cpu!

Soldato
Something like this? or alittle more investment?
That will test the stability/voltage on the rails - but won't test it under load which may be where the problem lies (if the PSU is at fault) - but it's safe test.

You will need to get rid of the Amazon link - it's against forum rules (Edit your post).

Hopefully i can reuse my 8GB ram that im currently using and maybe match it with another 8GB,
Unfortunately not - DDR4 is the standard now.

You won't be able to use your DDR3 memory in any future modern builds

Associate
THopefully i can reuse my 8GB ram that im currently using and maybe match it with another 8GB, but worst comes to worst (if they are dead, ill purchase the 16gb)

Sorry to hear about your motherboard, I had no idea the second hand value of them :O.
Unfortunately, your RAM will be DDR3 whereas the newer chipsets are DDR4.

Associate
OP
That will test the stability/voltage on the rails - but won't test it under load which may be where the problem lies (if the PSU is at fault) - but it's safe test.

You will need to get rid of the Amazon link - it's against forum rules (Edit your post).

Unfortunately not - DDR4 is the standard now.

You won't be able to use your DDR3 memory in any future modern builds

Whoops, sorry about that, link removed. I've also contacted the manufacturer of the PSU, as still has 3 years warranty, just to see what they say, but hopefully I can get it tested soon to really find out if its the cause of my late night hotbox of a room.

Soldato
Whoops, sorry about that, link removed. I've also contacted the manufacturer of the PSU, as still has 3 years warranty, just to see what they say, but hopefully I can get it tested soon to really find out if its the cause of my late night hotbox of a room.
Don't worry easy mistake to make for new members.

It was an old motherboard - not that unusual for them to die at that age. But certainly worth checking the PSU - especially as it's still under warranty.

Your CPU/Memory may get ~£80 towards your build - and you don't have to get 16Gb straight away which saves you a further £55.

So you could get your upgrade for appox £270 - depending brand/part choices etc...

Associate
OP
Don't worry easy mistake to make for new members.

It was an old motherboard - not that unusual for them to die at that age. But certainly worth checking the PSU - especially as it's still under warranty.

Your CPU/Memory may get ~£80 towards your build - and you don't have to get 16Gb straight away which saves you a further £55.

So you get your upgrade for appox £270 - depending brand/part choices etc...

Yeah im going to try and sell off what I can, my RAM and CPU should not have been affected should they? I'll try and get an old mobo to test on anyway before I sell anything off, fingers crossed!

Soldato
my RAM and CPU should not have been affected should they?

No way of knowing until you've tested unfortunately - but hopefully they'll be unaffected.

You can sell them as 'untested' but this will affect their resale - so if you can get them tested that would be the ideal.

Best of luck.

Soldato
What ever part died obviously burnt to open circuit state instead of shorting.
Maybe some solder joint turned bad overstressing component causing it to fail and burn or something like that.

Do you have camera capable to close up of that area?

That PSU is very good budget PSU with high quality capacitors so not first suspect.

Invest in a psu tester maybe?
Actually usefull PSU testers cost four/five digit figure.
Standard multimeter is lot better investment, because of lot better versatility.

Associate
OP
What ever part died obviously burnt to open circuit state instead of shorting.
Maybe some solder joint turned bad overstressing component causing it to fail and burn or something like that.

Do you have camera capable to close up of that area?

That PSU is very good budget PSU with high quality capacitors so not first suspect.

Actually usefull PSU testers cost four/five digit figure.
Standard multimeter is lot better investment, because of lot better versatility.
I will give it a shot, sorry to ask but im new, how could I then upload the image onto the post? The upload image button refers to a link, not a file on local pc?

Back
Top Bottom