motherboard usb power surge?

Soldato
Well, I have been using the Gigabyte M5 Sniper mobo for about 6 years now, but yesterday I keep getting this message for usb power surge and some of my usb ports at the back of the mobo stops working or become unstable.

So I reset the computer but it seems the surge killed my usb pass though on the keyboard and I can't seem to use the usb ports on the monitor for a external hdd anymore. I suspect its my usb hub, but even when I am not using it and just using the back port to charge the phone sometimes I get this message.

This has never happened before, and I wonder if anyone else ever had this problem, is there a fix or is the usb controller on the mobo broken or something or maybe its something different.

Associate
What USB hub do you have?
Is it a branded one or some obscure brand?
Can you provide full specs please?

As I have had components short on me due to the Mrs insisting on cheap-o Ebay electronics - that USB Surge message should immediately raise red flags.

It would be nice if you coud explain in detail (short diagram), of what is plugged into where, in which order..:
For example:
- Motherboard has 4xUSB ports:
1USB port - plugged into mouse
1USB port - plugged into keyboard
1USB port - plugged into USB Hub
1USB port - nothing plugged into it
- Monitor connected to motherboard by HDMI
Monitor USB port plugged into..
etc etc..

Just so we get an idea of what was plugged into where, and where this is all coming from (or what has caused it).

Also, I strongly suggest you take this seriously and disconnect all devices except your keyboard (so you can boot into Windows), and then connect/disconnect 1 device in every port, once port at a time, to find the 'faulty ports'.
Do this with multiple devices (to rule out the device being the 'faulty one').

Finally: You can buy these little USB Port testers that act as a bridge between a USB Plug and USB Port connection, they come with a little screen that displays the voltage/current passing through, and are an amazing way to test a port/usb charger/dodgy or untrusted device...I cannot recommend this enough.

USB Voltage & Current Tester Kit

Back
Top Bottom