Motorbike filtering...

Man of Honour
I've been riding bikes since I was able to, and in the case of filtering, I've had plenty of people that do make progress difficult, but a quick blip on the throttle and a little bit of patience, and I've never had any problems at all..

I find a not too loud CAN on the bike allows a gentle 'blip' that seems to alert people I'm there, and being on a sportsbike, they tend to just let me through knowing I won't be holding them up..

I can count on 1 hand how many times I've encoutered anyone that endangered me through deliberate action, and even then I had a word with them, and didn't do some damage and ride off..

But that's just me I guess..

I've had a few incidents, but like you not enough to make me vitriolic.

Soldato
As far as I can recall, "cager" is a bit of an "Americanism" as far as a term for car drivers goes. It's used a lot on the AF1 Aprilia forums I frequent which are predominantly used by American riders.

It's not a derogatory term, never has been. :cool:

Soldato
[TW]Fox;14861815 said:
Has anyone ever met a thoroughly nicer biker who insists on calling everyone in a car a 'cager'?

on the other hand some of us call bikers 'donors' :p

On this subject I dsometimes get a little annoyed when a biker filters past me on the left and then pulls in right in front of me - sometimes slowing me down, but on the whole I treat them as very vulnerable little packages and give them as much space as possible.

Associate
Yes, serious.

So what if the chav had positioned himself in a way that blocked the OPs filtering? It's his lane and his right of way to do that.

It's not as if it was at 70 down a dual carriageway is it? They were both stationary!

So it was only once the Chav became stationary he noticed a massive pot hole in on the M4 right in front of him? I think the only "Pot" in this topic was the one he was smoking, and the "hole" was in space under his burberry baseball cap.

Man of Honour
what I notice more and more is when I filter through v slow moving traffic, after I decide to stop filtering the car behind will barge up the inside of me to regain he lost place.

happened last night and last week... I usually move to a position where I can stay safe, but I've had one guy mount the pavement to get his place back.

even had a mini undertake me on a single carrage way at about 60mph to regain a overtake I made on him, I had to swerve to oncoming traffic to avoide being rear ended.

op was a fool in this case... no need to dmg the car, but if I was in his position I would have probably got off bike and had a quiet word (in full CE body armour of course :))

edit: I had some business man ranting at me once, I eventually after many words exchanged signalled him to pull over gesturing for a fight with fist, he skids into layby, jumps out of car, and I just continue riding and wave as I go past :), the art of fighting without fighting (c) bruce lee

spp

spp

Associate
As irritated as you may have been, this was not the way to deal with it. All you've done is lower our reputation even more :/ If someone wants to move in my way to stop me filtering, I hold back, then when it is clear in the other lane I ride past. If I know he has deliberately done it, I give him a wave as I ride past, content in the knowledge he'll be sat there for a while longer. I don't cause criminal damage. :confused:

Associate
Yes, unfortunatly they are.

Difference is in speed only.

Not sure if you ride bikes, but I have had a few car drivers do this to me, as I normally sit back until the car driver is fully aware of my intentions then move out and I have had several cases and so have my mates who I ride with along the A33 mostly when a car driver is in the left lane, we go past and he pulls into the right lane to stop us going by, trying to antagonise us into a 'race' or annoy us. Common to be honest.

ags

I do ride bikes, and rightly or wrongly I do get annoyed when car drivers don't show consideration for 'us'.
What annoys me is they way you're trying to stack it in your favour after you saw that the majority didn't agree with you. You were stationary, and he annoyed you, you lost your temper and did something childish. Trying to justify it by saying he was a chav in a corsa doesn't make you any more right.

People antagonise other road users regardless of whether they're on a bike or in a car. You just have to deal with without coming out looking like an idiot.

Associate
It is not the car drivers responsibility to watch out for bikes filtering, filtering is an at-risk activity (especially when it involves creating an extra lane) with the onus and responsibility on the motorcyclist for the safety of the movement.

I'm amazed at how many bikers do not realise this.

Wrong!

"It is often difficult to see motorcyclists and cyclists, especially when they are coming up from behind, coming out of junctions, at roundabouts, overtaking you or filtering through traffic. Always look out for them before you emerge from a junction; they could be approaching faster than you think. When turning right across a line of slow-moving or stationary traffic, look out for cyclists or motorcyclists on the inside of the traffic you are crossing. Be especially careful when turning, and when changing direction or lane. Be sure to check mirrors and blind spots carefully."

Associate
Wrong!

"It is often difficult to see motorcyclists and cyclists, especially when they are coming up from behind, coming out of junctions, at roundabouts, overtaking you or filtering through traffic. Always look out for them before you emerge from a junction; they could be approaching faster than you think. When turning right across a line of slow-moving or stationary traffic, look out for cyclists or motorcyclists on the inside of the traffic you are crossing. Be especially careful when turning, and when changing direction or lane. Be sure to check mirrors and blind spots carefully."

Oh if only peep continued to do this, not just when they do their driving test.
They should issue frag grenades to bikers, just drop one thro drivers windows who don't do the above mentioned.

Man of Honour
Wrong!

You're wrong I'm afraid. That is just guidance on safe driving (ie watch out for other road users). It says nothing about whose responsibility it is to ensure they are filtering safely. This, on the other hand, does (and it's a pro-biker article)

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/community/Forums/Categories/Topic/?topic-id=357452

Responsibility for filtering, as with any overtaking move that does not involve access to an exclusive overtaking lane (eg a dual carriageway), always lies with the individual undertaking the move, not with the one being passed. This is clearly established by several decades of precedent.

Yes, I should be aware you might be there, but if I'm not, and you hit me, it is not my fault unless there were very exceptional circumstances.

Associate
You're wrong I'm afraid. That is just guidance on safe driving (ie watch out for other road users). It says nothing about whose responsibility it is to ensure they are filtering safely. This, on the other hand, does (and it's a pro-biker article)

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/community/Forums/Categories/Topic/?topic-id=357452

Responsibility for filtering, as with any overtaking move that does not involve access to an exclusive overtaking lane (eg a dual carriageway), always lies with the individual undertaking the move, not with the one being passed. This is clearly established by several decades of precedent.

Yes, I should be aware you might be there, but if I'm not, and you hit me, it is not my fault unless there were very exceptional circumstances.

Yes, but just look before you turn the wheel and hit the gas. Thats all, take about .8 of a second.

Man of Honour
Yes, but just look before you turn the wheel and hit the gas. Thats all, take about .8 of a second.

I always do, and quite frequently see some **** on a bike in a stupid place as I do so...

The number of bikers who sit in the likely or obvious blind spots of cars is crazy...

Last edited:
Soldato
The number of bikers who sit in the likely or obviou blind spots of cars is crazy...
That winds me up no end. The number of times I have passed cars on the motorway with some biker lurking behind me on the nearside in my blind spot waiting to undertake me.

Back
Top Bottom