Motorbike filtering...

Soldato
I hope you get caught by the cops...

Far too many vandals on these forums, little ******* who key peoples cars ( 2 people on this forum at least) and raging bikers who seem to think it's funny to knock peoples mirrors off, I hope you all get what you deserve one day ( though unfortunately , seeing what the police does about it, unlikely)...

Soldato
Wow, I know some bikers hate car drivers, but I never thought that it would lead to them damaging people's property.

I keep an eye out for bikers as I would any other vehicle, lots of bikers die here in Lincolnshire though.

Associate
You're wrong I'm afraid. That is just guidance on safe driving (ie watch out for other road users). It says nothing about whose responsibility it is to ensure they are filtering safely. This, on the other hand, does (and it's a pro-biker article)

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/community/Forums/Categories/Topic/?topic-id=357452

Responsibility for filtering, as with any overtaking move that does not involve access to an exclusive overtaking lane (eg a dual carriageway), always lies with the individual undertaking the move, not with the one being passed. This is clearly established by several decades of precedent.

Yes, I should be aware you might be there, but if I'm not, and you hit me, it is not my fault unless there were very exceptional circumstances.

I've read that article before ;)

Caporegime
Responsibility for filtering, as with any overtaking move that does not involve access to an exclusive overtaking lane (eg a dual carriageway), always lies with the individual undertaking the move, not with the one being passed. This is clearly established by several decades of precedent.

That's clearly untrue, even by your own link, i.e. Davis v Schrogin.

Associate
The number of bikers who sit in the likely or obvious blind spots of cars is crazy...

An irrelevant argument. Drivers of cars are responsible for checking their blind spots for cyclists and/or motorcyclists before performing a maneuver such as a change of direction or a lane change.

Caporegime
An irrelevant argument. Drivers of cars are responsible for checking their blind spots for cyclists and/or motorcyclists before performing a maneuver such as a change of direction or a lane change.

True, but that doesn't stop sitting in someone's blindspot being a dumb move, especially when you're as unprotected as you are on a motorbike.

Associate
True, but that doesn't stop sitting in someone's blindspot being a dumb move, especially when you're as unprotected as you are on a motorbike.

When filtering on a motorcycle, it's physically impossible to not, at some stage, be present in a car's blind spot for even a small period of time.

I'm willing to argue that such an amount of time is negligible, to the point of making your argument irrelevant. I believe that the majority accidents occurred while a motorcycle is filtering is due to careless observation from the driver (a lack of mirror check entirely, let alone a blind spot check).

Caporegime
When filtering on a motorcycle, it's physically impossible to not, at some stage, be present in a car's blind spot for even a small period of time.

Well, of course. But sitting for a prolonged period in the blind spot should be avoided, no? I mean, I try not to sit in people's blindspots when in a car, and I've got a tonne and a half of metal protecting me.

Man of Honour
Moron...

it's and at risk manoeuvre and as such you have no right to be angry and certainly not to cause damage.

And you wonder why people out here hate riders. No surprise really is it.

Associate
Well, of course. But sitting for a prolonged period in the blind spot should be avoided, no? I mean, I try not to sit in people's blindspots when in a car, and I've got a tonne and a half of metal protecting me.

It's suddenly become unclear to me what point you are trying to make. It goes without saying that deliberately sitting in someone's blind spot is not wise, but how has that got anything to do with filtering?

Soldato
I'm just shocked that he still seems to think his actions were justified because the driver was a chav in a corsa. I hate chavs too, but criminal damage is a game for them to play, not normal people.

Bikes pee me off all the time but I'm not going to start punching them in the nuts as they pass in traffic. Likewise, other car drivers pee me off but I dont damage their property either. I really think the OP needs to consider anger management - thats not a joking or sarcastic statement, this really isnt the behavior of a well balanced individual.

He only held you up for a few seconds by the sound of it, his actions werent dangerous and this indicent is not comparable to the same thing happening at speed. The latter would be a deliberate attempt to knock you off and hurt/kill you, this was just a mild annoyance.

Caporegime
Dolph, AKAICT, was not referring to filtering, but to bikers sitting in the blind spot.

prior to attempting to filter usually.

We had this on the north york moors meet. Driving up some lovely driving roads on the north york moors, stuck behind a campervan

A group of bikers came up behind us, and were pulling some outrageous manoevres, crossing solid white lines, overtaking on blind bends, sitting in blind spots etc.. just acting like gerenal idiotic bikers do.

And quite a few of them were sitting in my blind spot, prior to crossing said white line on a blind hill while cars went past.

Soldato
prior to attempting to filter usually.

We had this on the north york moors meet. Driving up some lovely driving roads on the north york moors, stuck behind a campervan

A group of bikers came up behind us, and were pulling some outrageous manoevres, crossing solid white lines, overtaking on blind bends, sitting in blind spots etc.. just acting like gerenal idiotic bikers do.

And quite a few of them were sitting in my blind spot, prior to crossing said white line on a blind hill while cars went past.

Some of them probably were being idiots, I won't deny that, but there are some maneuvers that look fairly horrifically dangerous if you're in the car, but are actually very safe if done right, the blind corners bit especially.

They call it, rather dramatically, the suicide swoop, and being the car/lorry driver involved does leave you thinking that some lunatic just risked life and limb to get past, but if it's done right it's completely safe. Look up the inside pass on the outside. And no, it's not that simple before you tell me it's lunacy. And no I haven't done it on anything like a scary corner.

Back
Top Bottom