Motorbike filtering...

mjt

mjt

Soldato
whilst queuing for the blackwall tunnel once, i moved further into my lane and even folded in my mirrors so that i bike could get passed.
he was so surprised that as he went past, he stopped and gave me a nod. i think he was more surprised than me :p

no harm in being helpful. i usually move to one side of my lane to let bikers filter through anyway. give them more space..

op sounds like a bit of a tosspot really

Soldato
So you caused Criminal Damage because someone wouldn't let you filter? High five!

fair play to him. amazing how that makes people consider their own safety. ;) that said, it was a mild over reaction. :) if he'd have have tried to make you swerve then yes - knock it off. :)

FWIW i've seen a lot worse with bikes and they were, in my eyes, entitled to be a little 'annoyed'. ;):D

Associate
whilst queuing for the blackwall tunnel once, i moved further into my lane and even folded in my mirrors so that i bike could get passed.
he was so surprised that as he went past, he stopped and gave me a nod. i think he was more surprised than me :p

no harm in being helpful. i usually move to one side of my lane to let bikers filter through anyway. give them more space..

op sounds like a bit of a tosspot really

Good Lord! You let him pass and even moved the mirrors, good man! No wonder he was shocked.
Most drivers who have just sat there for several 100miles not even noticing, then when the bikers blast past at a given chance, get a nice birdy :/

Ones that crack me up the most are the drivers that try and race/keep up with you... Enraged that you passed them. :o

Soldato
Whilst it is true some bikers do sit in blind spots, they dont just teleport to the blind spot, had the car driver been using his mirrors correctly, he would have seen the bike approaching his blind spot. Once it was no longer visible, he should know to take some care.

Ofc this statement is not always true, as it is also possible for a bike to approach from a completely blind angle, but it is true a lot of the time.

Man of Honour
Ofc this statement is not always true, as it is also possible for a bike to approach from a completely blind angle, but it is true a lot of the time.

You also forgot the fact you can not look all the time in the mirrors only a quick glance every few seconds or so.

Soldato
Sorry but you are wrong, if your mirrors are set properly, you can see lights approaching, but anyway, my mirrors are used more than most, and being a biker as well I use lifesavers even in the car.

Sounds like you have a slight case of tunnel vision Acid, your perception being your reality and all that!

Man of Honour
Sorry but you are wrong, if your mirrors are set properly, you can see lights approaching, but anyway, my mirrors are used more than most, and being a biker as well I use lifesavers even in the car.

Sounds like you have a slight case of tunnel vision Acid, your perception being your reality and all that!

I was also a biker and use lifesavers even in a car. Your peripheral vision is not that good. Yes you can see lights coming if it's gloomy but certainly not the majority of the time.

Soldato
The point is it doesnt have to be, the great thing about motorcycle headlights is they move, and as a result produce a flickering in a mirror which, if you train yourself to look for, can be spotted. You didn't state "you" can't see bikers the majority of the time, you said "I" cant see bikers the majority of the time.

Yes you can see lights coming if it's gloomy but certainly not the majority of the time.

Which you have no way of knowing unless you have been in my shoes or head. YOUR peripheral vision and mirror positioning may not be strong enough to see them, but you have no idea how good mine is.

This is my point about your perception being your reality, and that doesn't translate to what other people are capable of.

Yes, as soon as a see a flicker in a mirror, I DO look more closely, but its through training myself to use my vision more carefully that this has been achieved. The problem is, when most people drive a familiar journey, they almost go into a kind of trance and at the end of it, cannot even remember driving the journey. Everything is done subconsciously, and as a result their observation skills aren't what they should be. When they drive a very unfamilair route, their observation skills suddenly improve immensely.

The safest drivers are those that can bring about that level of awareness when doing an everyday route!

Soldato
The problem is, when most people drive a familiar journey, they almost go into a kind of trance and at the end of it, cannot even remember driving the journey. Everything is done subconsciously, and as a result their observation skills aren't what they should be. When they drive a very unfamilair route, their observation skills suddenly improve immensely.
In that case it doesn't matter if we have superhuman perception or not, bikers should be riding in way that takes into account the way "most people drive", not just the few that drive well. Is it really that hard to position your self in the middle of a lane when following a car?

Soldato
This was the original one, the guy's serious and an idiot.

Someone then made a thread saying they were a corsa driver and someone knocked their wing mirror off, trying to be funny.

Then someone else, in a feeble attempt to be funny, saw the second thread but not this one and decided to post a thread about being a motorcyclist.

All in all, lots of funny people in Motors past few days

Soldato
In that case it doesn't matter if we have superhuman perception or not, bikers should be riding in way that takes into account the way "most people drive", not just the few that drive well. Is it really that hard to position your self in the middle of a lane when following a car?

Most bikers ride with the perception that all car drivers are morons already, however, sady some of them are morons as well.

Soldato
Most bikers ride with the perception that all car drivers are morons already, however, sady some of them are morons as well.

It's my personal belief that the majority of car drivers are morons. Likewise, I think the majority of bikers are morons too.

Why? Partly because its safer to treat everyone on the road as an idiot, but mostly because I'm yet to find any supporting evidence that the majority of the general public are anything but morons :(

Back
Top Bottom