Motorcycle Accident

Soldato
I was taught to ride in the path of where a car's right wheels would be when riding in the dominant position. I guess that's easier to explain and understand than to ride on the 3/4 line.

Same, well I use the rear lights as a guide and position to be seen in rear-view and right-wing mirror.
Though tend to fall a bit further back as well if there's a lot of left-side junctions, to be seen better if someone tries to pull out behind the car in front.

That's generally what I do anyway. But I do tend to ride to the best of the condition, sometimes you have to just think "What if" on some roads and ride differently. e.g. behind a lorry or tractor, car with rear-view blocked, van with wing mirror missing, lots of bends with minor road junctions etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
I was taught to ride in the path of where a car's right wheels would be when riding in the dominant position. I guess that's easier to explain and understand than to ride on the 3/4 line.

Effectively, this is the same things I was taught - but my instructor simply explained it differently - it's dead easy to split a lane into two and them plonk yourself in the middle of the second half; if you're following a wheels patch (certainly in the rain) you could be following a very changeable route.

Soldato
Same, well I use the rear lights as a guide and position to be seen in rear-view and right-wing mirror.
Though tend to fall a bit further back as well if there's a lot of left-side junctions, to be seen better if someone tries to pull out behind the car in front.

That's generally what I do anyway. But I do tend to ride to the best of the condition, sometimes you have to just think "What if" on some roads and ride differently. e.g. behind a lorry or tractor, car with rear-view blocked, van with wing mirror missing, lots of bends with minor road junctions etc.

You do indeed - I think the 'dominant' position, is just the default position they teach you to adopt - so as to give you control over your lane, and not invite a dodegy overtake form a car behind. But you have many different positions to take in the real world application - if I have an oncoming lorry or large vehicle, I will move into the middle, or left of the middle position; as you never know.

Soldato
For you and I, sure. But have you seen the general level of intelligence of road users? :p

Well, to be fair - this only really applies to bikers, and it's in our best interest to take control of or space on the road - not wishing to tar anyone on an L plated two-wheeler; but I'm sure that this tidbit of CBT training gets filed under "don't care" (probably along with life savers!). Whereas people with a restricted/full license are likely to have it ingrained a little more - as they have simply trained longer/to a higher standard (i.e. larger cc bikes).

Soldato
We all make mistakes and I believe it’s not always down to the skills and abilities of one person as we all make mistakes.

You're STILL adamant that it wasn't your fault entirely? your distance and lane positioning was terrible and you ran into the back of someone who didn't even make an emergency stop. If she had you'd have gone over her car at that distance!

Go through insurance.

Associate
Just to echo what others have said... for your own good and future health, try not to ride too close to the vehicle in front.

We all make mistakes and I've had offs that have involved other road users myself but you must bear in mind that the vehicle in front stops suddenly and you're too close, you may end up greeting that vehicle's occupants by smashing through their back window, head-first.

The number of cars that tailgate one another on A-Roads and motorways with no clear reason (ie: Not obviously trying to 'prompt' them to change lane to allow an overtake - not that this is safe either!) is ridiculous, but they at least have crumple zones, airbags and cages to protect them. As a biker, you're largely screwed in that scenario. Stand off.

Back
Top Bottom