1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motorola Cliq/Dext - Android device

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Tablets' started by Hen_Dawg, 11 Sep 2009.

1. Hen_Dawg

Mobster

Hi

Just been reading about this upcoming Android phone from Motorola. It's called the Clix in the states but the Dext elsewhere and is due out here next month in Orange.
    I've never liked any Moto phone but this seems nice and reports are saying it's interface is nice as well as quick too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/U...nd-Services/Mobile-Phones/Motorola-CLIQ-US-EN

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2009/sep/10/motorola-cliq-dext-launch

Last edited: 11 Sep 2009
  2. JBod

Soldato

Motorola... so no. Also I think the Android OS is quite bland without the HTC SenseUI.

3. Tunney

Capodecina

Motorola have pulled out of the European market so it'll be interesting to see if they're released over here.

4. Kamakazie!

Wise Guy

Pretty sure this is already announced for Orange so it looks like they might be selling again..?!

5. thecremeegg

Sgarrista

Had a motorola once, it broke 4 times....never again!

6. FatalSaviour

Gangster

I've been considering this, but it'll be quite a toss-up between that, the TP2 and the X2...

7. DanH84

Soldato

is the pity.

8. jrodga2k5

Sgarrista

It actually looks pretty good :)

Though the screen res does suck :(

Last edited: 13 Sep 2009
  9. krooton

Caporegime

I'd not bother with the X2, hardly much different from the X1, TP2 4TW!

10. gbradders123

Hitman

any update on this phone now its released?

11. Robbo

Capo Crimine

The Hero is better! :p

12. Hen_Dawg

Mobster

Not if you need a proper keyboard and like MOTOBLUR. I'd still take the Hero myself.
    Would be good to hear from an OcUK owner though

13. Zarf

Mobster

Just bought an unlocked Motorola Dext for £150 delivered to replace my 5800, which I hope to sell and get at least £100 back. £50 to go android isn't too bad, the Dext is confirmed by motorolla to be getting Eclair 2.1 soon as well.

Anyone on OCUK got one of these? What's the story on Rooting / Custom Firmwares?

I really wanted a 800x480 res android device, but prices are still out of my reach for now. Hopefully the Dext will last me the rest of the year and I can see what comes out at Xmas (A reasonably priced Dell Mini 5 would be perfect!)

14. VortexA1

Wise Guy

I use a DEXT and it's a nice phone.

My partner uses the Hero and I just don't like the slowness of it.

Thumbs up for the Dext. :)

15. Robbo

Capo Crimine

Your partner should update the firmware on it then :p

16. VortexA1

Wise Guy

It was mine;and has latest firmware .

It's not laggy on everything.:p

Last edited: 23 Mar 2010
  17. PermaBanned

Capodecina

This is available on Beepy, £150 on Orange 5.

18. Zarf

Mobster

Been playing around with my new Dext, I'm really enjoying the Android OS. Capacitive touch screen is great too, it's much more responsive than my Nokia 5800.
    The Dext has got a physical keyboard, which is good for emulators and games, but for typing I'm using Swype - an awesome new touchscreen predictive text system. Swype is much faster than any other text entry system i've used on a phone, even my Blackberry physical keyboard.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKSSOl4f9RA

Motoblur (Motorola's messaging and social network tools) is good too, I can post and recieve facebook updates in an on screen widget (if I used twitter or myspace it would integrate those too) and It merged all my facebook contacts with my SIM contacts, so when they call their profile pic shows up.

Very impressed by it all so far, It's only running on Android 1.5 at the moment so i'm missing a few features and some performance polish, but Motorola has committed to pushing out an update to 2.1 in the next few months.

One negative thing I have noticed is annoying line noise through my earphones if I have the physical keyboard out.

19. Sumanji

Sgarrista

Hey,

I was looking at the Milestone/Desire etc, but I just can't stomach spending that much on a phone - found the Dext for £160 on the Orange website, which seems like a good deal. Will it be Orange branded and/or locked? If so, how easy is it to unlock?

How good/bad is the battery life on the Dext? And is there any definitive word on an Android 2.1/2.2 update?

Thanks,

Su