Motorsport Off Topic Thread

Soldato
In the latest episodes of "Rules that have been adjusted following Rosberg getting let off lightly", any Qualifying lap now set while driving through a double yellow flag zone will be deleted, which removes any incentive for a driver to drive through the zone quickly.

Euuurgh. Which will probably then lead to drivers in chaotic wet qualifying sessions not having set proper lap times and being investigated for being over the 107% cut off... :p Gotta love F1 rules!

Soldato
So what about all the drivers so far that have been screwed over for not getting technical help during races that could have helped placed them higher, when others just simply got away with the rule breaking.

FIA really have no clue what to do with the sport.

Caporegime
I would tell you to stop trolling, but apparently the mods have decided your 'contributions' are perfectly valid and anyone who questions that is worthy of an infraction.

So yeah, as you were. I think there's a few other threads you haven't posted in.

Ignore him if you can't be respectful - BaZ87

Caporegime
The V8s aren't being made any more. All the machining is gone. They were only cheap because everyone was making the exact same engine for 8 years.

To bring them back now would mean retooling for them. The manufacturers would have to invest in different manufacturing and they would come in a lot more expensive than they were.

And that's before you take into consideration that they are slower, less economic, and old. Plus Mercedes, Renault, and Honda would all leave so it would be a single spec series with Ferrari engines, if it even survived.

5 of the 8 V8 years were won by Renault too, so hardly more competitive.

So I ask again, what was your point?

Caporegime
The V8s aren't being made any more. All the machining is gone. They were only cheap because everyone was making the exact same engine for 8 years.

To bring them back now would mean retooling for them. The manufacturers would have to invest in different manufacturing and they would come in a lot more expensive than they were.

And that's before you take into consideration that they are slower, less economic, and old. Plus Mercedes, Renault, and Honda would all leave so it would be a single spec series with Ferrari engines, if it even survived.

5 of the 8 V8 years were won by Renault too, so hardly more competitive.

So I ask again, what was your point?

This, that and what he said. There were very valid reasons to move to the Hybrid V6 and ditch the V8's. Most of which Skeeter has mentioned. And anyway the current engines have been extended through to the end of 2020 if my memory serves. The manufacturers have spent £100's of millions developing the V6 so won't want to throw all that investment into the bin and then completely retool, again, for a NA V8 that has zero relevance to road car engines and thus makes F1 a very expensive marketing exercise which few manufacturers will swallow, as opposed to at least some R&D.

Oh and improving the V8's and gaining more horsepower also cost millions as even getting an extra 5HP or 10ftlbs of torque was very difficult. That and they were unbearably noisy. Sure, nice to hear for about five minutes then just LOUD.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I would also expect the current manufacturers to sue F1 too, as they committed to the V6 based on it being around until at least 2018 initially (I think), and now 2020. They have an expected income over the next 4 years which they use to justify the initial outlay, and so would be claiming for lost earnings if the FIA back track.

How much were the engines in 2006, first season of V8s?

Soldato
ok
3 teams
renault
Ferrari
Honda

also only a 5 point gap between ferrari and renault

only two

McLaren-Mercedes
Toro Rosso-Ferrari
Renault
BMW Sauber