Motorsport Off Topic Thread

Soldato
It looked pretty bad to me, and there was a clear "atmosphere" when Collard and Sheddon went to the podium, with them avoiding each other before they stood up for the trophies. Will have to watch it and see if it comes across on the TV interviews etc.

They didn't show the podium on the catch up I watched so couldn't comment on that, I found this on TouringCarTimes.com:

Assessing his weekend, Collard said: “It’s mixed emotions. I’m devastated to lose that win to Gordon – he drove well, there was nothing wrong with what he did. My front tyres were going off and I couldn’t brake and get the car stopped as well.

It seems that after the emotions have cooled down a little, he seems OK with it. I imagine if he hadn't taken the lead in the championship he may have felt a little more aggrieved by it. It wasn't a particularly bad nudge but it was enough to make the pass, and it wasn't the first time Gordon had done it that weekend either (although once it didn't work out for him). I know it's BTCC and there is usually some bumping etc, all part and parcel of the racing.

Soldato
Also on a side note, I know it's BTCC and there is always rubbing and bumping etc, but can Gordon Sheddon ever pass someone without tapping them out the way/giving them a bump on the way through? :p

It looked pretty bad to me, and there was a clear "atmosphere" when Collard and Sheddon went to the podium, with them avoiding each other before they stood up for the trophies. Will have to watch it and see if it comes across on the TV interviews etc.

It was a rough move even for Touring Cars. Shedden gave him a bump then ran him out of track Rosberg-style. Rob made his annoyance known in the next corner with a clout back.

Rob seemed OK with it in the interview pen post race, but was probably seething a little under the surface. Having seen the interview pen up close a few times the drivers are usually on their best behaviour for the TV. You don't annoy Chairman Gow.

Comment from Ash Sutton on Social Media yesterday "Safe to say I am definately feeling second hand this morning! ;) ". Not surprised after that unintended retardation in Race 2...

Man of Honour
Wow they seem quite keen. Assuming he has an option at McLaren still, it would be a tough choice, especially with new rules next year. Think I would make the jump as Williams tend to do well on rule changes.

Soldato
Williams have admitted thay are keen on re-signing Jenson Button but have told the British driver they will not be “waiting around” for him to make up his mind

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/aug/02/jenson-button-williams-mclaren-f1

Button would be an idiot not to jump at Williams. They're not going to offer him a winning car but then neither are McLaren before he finally retires. McLaren are more than likely to kick him out next year in favour of Vandoorne as they don't want to lose their option on him so Williams are his only realistic lifeline for prolonging his career.

Of course Button's track record with team switches is secondly only to Alonso in awfulness so he'll probably pass it up and then get given the boot by McLaren.

Soldato
My personal feeling is that Button will not really improve anything for Williams more than Bottas has already done. I think Button's career is on borrowed time, he probably should retire gracefully, take up being a pundit, and as was said a few posts up, Williams should bring in young talent.

That said, I'll certainly be interested to see what Button actually does bring to Williams.

smr

smr

Soldato
Was just abouts to post Claire's quote. They do indeed seem keen and all of the rumours are true.

I don't think this has been posted but she has been quoted as actually saying

"let's see if he signs the contract then" to a crowd of people after the race at Silverstone... not a contract, but the contract, quite a significant usage of wording then.

So this all ties in with the rumours - it's pretty obvious from everything she has officially been quoted on that she wants him.

Maybe slightly tactical and quite clever as well because it's almost putting pressure on Button's plan B decision... Plan A I expect would be to stay at McLaren, much as I'd love to see Williams stronger than McLaren next year I think it'll be the other way around... but with her giving an ultimatum or sorts and a bit of a time constraint on it - might change the way he's going to have to play this one!

smr

smr

Soldato
My personal feeling is that Button will not really improve anything for Williams more than Bottas has already done. I think Button's career is on borrowed time, he probably should retire gracefully, take up being a pundit, and as was said a few posts up, Williams should bring in young talent.

That said, I'll certainly be interested to see what Button actually does bring to Williams.

“When I talk about the criteria that we are looking at, it is the talent in the cockpit, the intelligence to feed back to the engineers, and for us, as an independent team, the commercial factors are going to play a part in the decision-making process too. You can’t have an unknown driver in your car. It is just not going to work.” - Claire Williams

Translated - "we want Jenson Button" :D

and interestingly...

“Sergio has done a great job this year, he is an intelligent driver, and of course he is going to be someone we are looking at,” Williams, who added that an announcement on their lineup for 2017 will not be made until the latter part of the campaign, said.

“I have only met him briefly on the odd occasion. He is very charming. He is very eloquent, so commercially he would be strong for any team. Of course he is going to be someone you’d consider if he is available.”

Perez and Button at Williams 2017 - the rematch ? - that'd be :cool:

Last edited:
Soldato
Wasn't Bottas meant to be dead set for Ferrari at one point? His star has somewhat faded, not perhaps helped by the car, over the past 18 months or so, has it not?

Man of Honour
Wasn't Bottas meant to be dead set for Ferrari at one point? His star has somewhat faded, not perhaps helped by the car, over the past 18 months or so, has it not?

Massa is pretty average and has made Bottas now look it too. He's gone off the boil a bit unfortunately. Would be nice to see Bottas and JB in the same team, both good characters.

Soldato
Massa is pretty average and has made Bottas now look it too. He's gone off the boil a bit unfortunately. Would be nice to see Bottas and JB in the same team, both good characters.

Massa is another Rosberg - average driver who's been flattered by the best car at certain points in his career.

My biggest problem with Massa is that he's never ever wrong. Every time he causes a crash it's the other guy's fault. Don't think I've ever seen him apologise in his entire career.

Soldato
Massa has not been the same driver since Ruben's spring incident at Hungary 2009, but in 2008, he effectively pushed Lewis to the final turn of Brazil on that freak weather day. Massa won, as he needed to, Lewis (on wets) passed Timo Glock (on slicks) at the hill base.

Soldato
I like Massa too. He pushed Schumacher, he pushed Raikkonen, he deserved the 2008 title just as much as Hamilton and as UTmaniac said above he really hasn't been the same after Hungary 2009, whether as an effect of his injury or simply being out of the car for so long - but yes, after a fairly promising start to his Williams career, he's looking lost again and I'd be surprised if he keeps his seat.

People only ever moan about him here, but anytime he's being discussed by F1 guys in the paddock they say he's one of the nicest, most genuine guys you could meet.

Soldato
My biggest problem with Massa is that he's never ever wrong. Every time he causes a crash it's the other guy's fault. Don't think I've ever seen him apologise in his entire career.

Sounds exactly like a certain British driver to me also

People only ever moan about him here, but anytime he's being discussed by F1 guys in the paddock they say he's one of the nicest, most genuine guys you could meet.

He may well be , but that doesnt exactly say much for his talent if even those inside his career profession can only say kind words about his personality.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom