1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motorsport Off Topic Thread

Discussion in 'Motorsport' started by Shimmy, 2 Jan 2012.

1. Dup

Capodecina

2. Dup

Capodecina

oops

3. Blackvault

Mobster

4. poosemon

Wise Guy

Anyone attending the Williams 40th Anniversary event at Silverstone?

Completely missed that this event was on, gutted considering tickets were free...but have a friend who has gladley told me his is going! They had to cap the tickets at 50k due to so much demand.

Looks a fantastic opportunity to see some of the Williams machinery closeup. Looking through the twitter feed and lots going on....Particularly interesting clip of active suspension working on FW14b - always amazes me when I see clips of it and considering it was on the cars in the early 90's.

5. Steeps

Soldato

1000km for a Honda engine? Hope it gets to the finish line.

6. KiNgPiN83

Mobster

Do you mean to the end of the race? Or to the end of the formation lap? :D :p

7. MooMoo444

Caporegime

Driving the new NSX, I'm jelly :p

8. Matteh

Wise Guy

So Kubica completed 115 laps in a 2011 Renault today including full race sims and quali sims - apparently posting faster times than Sirotkin.

Does anyone here think a comeback is realistic? That type of programme suggests a serious test rather than a bit of a jolly.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/129965

9. Guerrilla

Soldato

I do hope so! Would love a Hulkenberg/Kubica line up.

i do wonder with his mobility issues if he's not able to compete at all circuits could he not do a car share,a bit like in Indy with the ovals/tracks.

10. GravyMonster

Capodecina

Awesome news. I'd really love for him to make a full return to F1. Do we know if he's regained full use of his hand, or was the car modified for him?

Also, being slightly cynical, but was that report from his agent? I remember them spinning some complete BS at the time of his accident which was severely downplaying the severity of his injury.

11. Duke

Man of Honour

Great news, I miss him in F1 :(

12. Matteh

Wise Guy

I haven't read anything about him running a modified car today - I was under the impression that the biggest issue he had was having to use his shoulder to make up for some of the lack of mobility in his arm, and there simply wasn't enough room in the cockpit of a single-seater for him to do that effectively.

As for the trustworthiness of the source - the details of the programme he ran today was from Renault's twitter, so that's legit. Him being faster than Sirotkin was according to another journo (for L'Equipe I think it was) so that could be true or complete BS.

It'd be a great story if he made a competitive comeback and I'd love to see it happen, though.

13. englishpremier

Sgarrista

Sounds promising, though I guess there might other issues like how quickly he can get out of the car. Would be good to see him as a wildcard at a race like Montreal or Spa.

14. Dup

Capodecina

Love Kubica. After his massive 185mph shunt at Canada 07, he came back to win it a year later. It's a shame we didn't see much more of him.

He's been test driving everything lately so I have to wonder what the aim is. I feel he'd be stuck mid pack with little means to make progress if he came back now, the formula isn't what it was when he left.

15. Matteh

Wise Guy

You've got to think he's dipping his toe in the water for an F1 comeback, otherwise, what's the point?

I wonder if Renault will chuck him in the car for some time in one of the in season tests? If they do, then it's got to be a pretty strong indication that it's his objective.

16. MissChief

Capodecina

Sadly I can't see him making a return to F1. If you find a recent picture of him his right lower arm has lost nearly all of its muscle mass. He wouldn't be able to pass the mandatory driver evacuation test.

17. Dup

Capodecina

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/kubica-f1-test-showed-what-i-lost-915113/

Yeah, reading this it seems like it's just a one-off. Just a gesture from Renault. Shame, seems he's in no-mans-land at the moment. But if he can pass all the necessary tests and someone else pays attention to the test, there may be an opportunity around the corner. Seems very unlikely though.

18. Matteh

Wise Guy

Ah, yeah, that does make it sound like more of a one off. Shame, but understandable.

19. vanpeebles

Sgarrista

Huge multi car pile up in the touring car qualifying! Massive damage!

20. Minibiker

Soldato

Just saw the footage of the crash... Heavy rain there! Car after car off :p