Motorsport Off Topic Thread

Soldato
It should be Calum Ilott really.
Ilott looked bang average last year, but he's really upped his game this season in another team. As said, whoever wins is the obvious contender for the seat (and that's Schumacher as things stand).

Schumacher has always struck me as consistent, patient and mature without often showing a killer instinct. Maybe in this era of F1 that's a good thing though.

Man of Honour
On another note; and don't laugh - Renault are trying to get dispensation to run Fernando Alonso in the "Young" Drivers test in Abu Dhabi at the end of the year.... I think he might be a little old and experienced for that!
In all seriousness though; there are some exemptions available; it would be good to see him running this year to see how his times compare.

Soldato
I don't like that. He'll have a whole pre-season of testing to get used to the car. I'm sure many would actually prefer to see a 'young' driver gain some F1 experience. If they must maybe give him 90mins of something.

Man of Honour
I don't like that. He'll have a whole pre-season of testing to get used to the car. I'm sure many would actually prefer to see a 'young' driver gain some F1 experience. If they must maybe give him 90mins of something.

I don't know why they don't just let him run in FP1 for a couple of races really; presumably Zhou, Lundgaard and other F2 drivers will be lining up for the Young Driver test

Soldato
On another note; and don't laugh - Renault are trying to get dispensation to run Fernando Alonso in the "Young" Drivers test in Abu Dhabi at the end of the year.... I think he might be a little old and experienced for that!
In all seriousness though; there are some exemptions available; it would be good to see him running this year to see how his times compare.

Hahaha are you for real?

Surely Cyril is just having a laugh? "Hi Jean, do you mind if I give the 2x FIA WDC Fernado Alonso a space on the young drivers test?... Pardon?..... Well he's 39.... Jean?...."

Caporegime
Extremely concerned about Renault driving line up next year.

Ocon and Alonso.

Does anyone have any idea how good Alonso is now?
Feels like a downgrade. Gutted Riccardo is leaving.

If Alonso isn't up to scratch will be one of the weakest line up in the top 6 teams.

Mclaren have a great line up for next year

Man of Honour
Extremely concerned about Renault driving line up next year.

Ocon and Alonso.

Does anyone have any idea how good Alonso is now?
Feels like a downgrade. Gutted Riccardo is leaving.

If Alonso isn't up to scratch will be one of the weakest line up in the top 6 teams.

Mclaren have a great line up for next year

I'm not impressed with Ocon to be honest; I thought he would get quicker as the year's got on but he doesn't seem able to match Ricciardo; for someone who was a Merc development driver and hotly tipped he hasn't been great.
Obviously Alonso hasn't run in F1 since 2018 but I think he'll be fine, he clearly still has passion for racing and even in 2018 he still looked like he had the speed (when the car let him).

2022 could be interesting though; Alonso had a contract but if Ocon gets beaten then who do you put in? There's F2 development drivers although I half wonder if they might fancy a speedy looking Frenchman in the shape of Pierre Gasly presuming he doesn't get put back in the Red Bull...

Caporegime
Yeah he was still racing in Indy last season, right? I think Fred will be fine.

He's done some endurance racing, Le Mans, etc. but he hasn't had proper full season race seats. There's not many drivers who've successfully returned after a break, whether they were racing or not. Even Schumi couldn't manage it, and there's not that much difference in age between where Schumi was when he returned and how old Alonso will be when he returns.

I think people expecting great things from Fred will be disappointed.

Man of Honour
He's done some endurance racing, Le Mans, etc. but he hasn't had proper full season race seats. There's not many drivers who've successfully returned after a break, whether they were racing or not. Even Schumi couldn't manage it, and there's not that much difference in age between where Schumi was when he returned and how old Alonso will be when he returns.

True you have to go back to Prost in 1993 for someone who's come back after a sabbatical and won another title; and I suppose aside from Schumacher the most recent other example would be Kimi; but he was a lot younger (and still actually very fast when he joined Lotus-Renault).

Caporegime
2022 could be interesting though; Alonso had a contract but if Ocon gets beaten then who do you put in? There's F2 development drivers although I half wonder if they might fancy a speedy looking Frenchman in the shape of Pierre Gasly presuming he doesn't get put back in the Red Bull...

Renault have some great looking drivers in F2, and if Piastri has a glowing season in F2 next year he could be an option as well. If they're not going to give these drivers a crack at F1 why have the academy at all?

Man of Honour
Renault have some great looking drivers in F2, and if Piastri has a glowing season in F2 next year he could be an option as well. If they're not going to give these drivers a crack at F1 why have the academy at all?

Its a good point; I'm a little surprised there's no space for Zhou or Lundgard next year.. but then Alonso is Alonso I guess.
Renault really could do with a B-Team; there seems to have been some rumours a few weekends ago that Sauber were contemplating it but I can imagine the Alfa Branding comes with a fair wad of cash.

Soldato

Schumacher still had issues left over that Motorcycle race crash. The one that prevented him filling in for Massa. Kimi was fast in his two seasons with Lotus until they forgot to pay him.

I can't see Alonso having any problems really. I'd be more worried that he might effectively end Ocon's F1 career, the way he did Stoffel Vandoorne.

Back in the FI Ocon was looking like Leclerc style potential, but up against a top tier driver he's not cutting it. I can see Alonso being more ruthless than Dani Ric, if perhaps not quite as fast in qualifying.

Renault really could do with a B-Team; there seems to have been some rumours a few weekends ago that Sauber were contemplating it but I can imagine the Alfa Branding comes with a fair wad of cash.

Is the Alfa cash more than the cash they lose from running the crappy Ferrari engines and finishing way down in the championship? That is something they need to weigh up.

Back
Top Bottom