Motorsport Off Topic Thread

Soldato
Ferrari at pcworld today!

:p

20200919-163514.jpg

Caporegime
Laughable.
Why? Because he’s ex Ferrari? He’s been working for VW Group for many years since he left Ferrari. There was talk of Toto Wolff potentially being Carey’s replacement for a while. Would that also be ‘laughable’? He seems like a good fit, knows the sport very well, knows most of the people running the teams too.

Last edited:

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Whatever, I think we can all see how well it's going to play out.

Was Jean Todt a particularly bad choice to head the FIA in the end?

I know I wanted Ari Vatanen to get it. But has Todt proven to be wildly biased? Has he done everything in his power to help Ferrari out?

Because if he has, if he really is biased and helping Ferrari out, then he's spectacularly bad at it! They've won 28 races since he assumed office IIRC. Out of 208 (he took over just before the last race of the '09 season). Now, I'm just a simply country fella an' I got problems of my own, but I've gotta figure that if someone in a position of serious power in the world governing body of motorsport truly wanted a team to win a bunch of races they could probably manage to get them rather better than a ~13% success rate.

Soldato
I assume you perhaps mean the way in which the "oil burning cheating engine saga" was not made transparent to everyone, but realistically who would that benefit anyway?
Despite their obviously performance issues, you can bet there are still ideas on the PU which would be of great interest to others.

It was hardly a surprise that the designs and implementations weren't made public, but equally I can see why other teams are annoyed that they didn't get to pore over Ferrari's PU design.

Still, everyone else has a got a free shot at third in the constructors championship this season, so it's not like Ferrari went unpunished.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Despite their obviously performance issues, you can bet there are still ideas on the PU which would be of great interest to others.

Well, if you think Ferrari should have been made to hand over IP after getting an engine design clarified out of legality then presumably you think the same should have happened to Mercedes after their oil-burning turn in 2015? ;)

Soldato
Well, if you think Ferrari should have been made to hand over IP after getting an engine design clarified out of legality then presumably you think the same should have happened to Mercedes after their oil-burning turn in 2015? ;)
Quite the opposite. I would be have been surprised and a little disappointed had Ferrari been forced to open up their PU to others (and I'm hardly a Ferrari fan).

By "great interest" I meant that as the PU design as a whole, not looking for other issues.

Caporegime
It was hardly a surprise that the designs and implementations weren't made public, but equally I can see why other teams are annoyed that they didn't get to pore over Ferrari's PU design.

I don't really see how this is the issue. They didn't need to give out detailed designs for the Ferrari PU to be open and public about what the issue was, and what they had been required to change, did they? I don't see how.

Soldato
Ferrari seemed to think so, as did the FIA by agreeing not to disclose any technical details with Ferrari's permission. From Binotto in July:

The reason we don't want to open is simple because whatever we need to explain [is] our IP, intellectual property to our project, to our power unit, and I think no one in the paddock would be happy to release information on their design and their project.

I think it's IP, it's confidentiality, it's intellectual property protection, and that's the reason we're not keen to do it.

We can only guess. That the FIA with confiscated power units or other teams couldn't explicitly prove Ferrari's PU was running illegally at the time means we do nothing but speculate. Hence the need for technical information. I mean, we all knew they were doing something they weren't meant to be doing, but you need hard evidence to prove it.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Ferrari seemed to think so, as did the FIA by agreeing not to disclose any technical details with Ferrari's permission. From Binotto in July:

We can only guess. That the FIA with confiscated power units or other teams couldn't explicitly prove Ferrari's PU was running illegally at the time means we do nothing but speculate. Hence the need for technical information. I mean, we all knew they were doing something they weren't meant to be doing, but you need hard evidence to prove it.
The FIA said they could spend millions and still not know what Ferrari were doing. The other teams are being purely selfish and wanted to know what they were doing to see if they could do it too and so the engineers could look at each other and say ‘why didn’t we think of that?’. As usual self serving from the teams. The FIA couldn’t prove conclusively that Ferrari were cheating, hence no real sanction, fine or disqualification.

Back
Top Bottom