Motorsport Off Topic Thread

Soldato
You will get exactly the same issues, and probably new ones as well, all that will change is the name of the supplier.

Alonso and Hamilton said that the last time they could push to the last lap in a race on tires was when Bridgestone was there.

But I never saw Bridgestone bring in rules and threaten the teams because they made rubbish tires.

Even Hamilton said the tires are bad.

Caporegime
Alonso and Hamilton said that the last time they could push to the last lap in a race on tires was when Bridgestone was there.

But I never saw Bridgestone bring in rules and threaten the teams because they made rubbish tires.

Even Hamilton said the tires are bad.
Both Bridgestone and previously Michelin and even Good Year many years ago weren’t contracted to provide a particular type of tyre with certain characteristics unlike Pirelli who have been. I’m sure Pirelli could make superb tyres that could last the whole race if needed and have a great performance window without the drop off or thermal degradation but that’s not what they’ve been contracted to provide. Everyone was immensely critical of Pirelli when there were tyre failures last season, they made the tyres stronger and changed the construction to stop the failures and they have been criticised again.

Last edited:
Soldato
I’m not sure what all the song and dance is about on this one. RB and others were running them out of spec, it’s just the politics of calling them out when they were not checking the pressures despite them being a part of the telemetry for all cars.

As the above poster said, Pirelli have built exactly what they have been asked to build. We been through this conversation multiple times already since they got the F1 contract and but people seem to have short memories.

Soldato
I’m not sure what all the song and dance is about on this one. RB and others were running them out of spec, it’s just the politics of calling them out when they were not checking the pressures despite them being a part of the telemetry for all cars.

As the above poster said, Pirelli have built exactly what they have been asked to build. We been through this conversation multiple times already since they got the F1 contract and but people seem to have short memories.

No teams was running them out of spec in the race.

I never heard the F1 say they want blow outs. Hamilton's tire was about to blow as well.

Soldato
Ask yourself the question, who do you need to put new procedures and checks in place to check teams are not running lower pressures or overheating the tyres?

The answer is because teams are doing just that. Teams will do anything to gain an advantage over their competitors that includes cheating if they can get away with it. Exploiting loopholes is par for the course.

If the teams were not exploiting it, they wouldn’t need to do it. Remember when they put in place minimum pressures to stop blowouts after similar incidents at silverstone? The teams want to run lower pressures because they can get more grip.

Lower pressures risk punctures and blowouts, they are well aware of that risk.

Caporegime
Ask yourself the question, who do you need to put new procedures and checks in place to check teams are not running lower pressures or overheating the tyres?

The answer is because teams are doing just that. Teams will do anything to gain an advantage over their competitors that includes cheating if they can get away with it. Exploiting loopholes is par for the course.

If the teams were not exploiting it, they wouldn’t need to do it. Remember when they put in place minimum pressures to stop blowouts after similar incidents at silverstone? The teams want to run lower pressures because they can get more grip.

Lower pressures risk punctures and blowouts, they are well aware of that risk.
And then they do run lower pressures, have blow outs or failures and get to blame Pirelli instead of admitting to cheating. They get no ramifications for rolling the dice, Pirelli gets absolutely slated everywhere for supposedly producing crap tyres.

Soldato
It was also Bridgestone making a pigs ear of the tyres at Melbourne in 2009 which led to F1 and the FIA wanting tyres which degraded rapidly.

What did Bridgestone do or never do?

If you watch the video above.
You will see the real reason why Pirelli came in to F1 :)

edit=you mean the graining?

The tires now grain after a lap or 2

Caporegime
It was also Bridgestone making a pigs ear of the tyres at Melbourne in 2009 which led to F1 and the FIA wanting tyres which degraded rapidly.
And criticism of Bridgestone supposedly soft tyre lasting basically the whole Italian GP giving Vettel his first win at Torro Rosso. Pit stops and tyres specifically engineered to degrade rapidly after a certain amount of wear were part of Pirelli’s contract soon after.

Soldato
I've not seen any graining up there with the 1990s, 2000s or 2010s, where you could easily see the darkening over a large percentage of the tyre and the track strewn with marbles.

Most of the time now you usually just get bit of pick-up depending on which way the last corner went (often confused with graining or blistering) and the occasional actual blistering.

Soldato
Well Pirelli have released their report and eluded to that it must be a parameter on the tyre (pressure or temperature) that caused the failure, however the sensors showed nothing outside of the parameters they set. So the likely conclusion is either:

a) Teams are doing something similar to Ferrari's fuel flow sensors, which can bypass the pressure sensors providing readings to reduce tyre pressure, OR
b) Pirelli tyres are trash and they require a redesign to increase structural integrity, or in the meantime, provide higher pressures within the tyres.

I wonder what the drivers will think in all this. Failures at 200mph on a street circuit are hugely dangerous and I'm surprised Max and Lance came out of both incidents unscathed, albeit shaken in Lance's case.

Think the full picture is probably a little of column a, little of column b :p

But of course Pirelli are getting the full blame when the only reason for the *massive* increase in the regulations around tyre pressures/handling is because the teams were enjoying that grey area...

Soldato
If the teams are now taking the tyre blankets off to cool the tyres, then seems like the move to removing tyre warming could come sooner rather than later!

Caporegime
If the teams are now taking the tyre blankets off to cool the tyres, then seems like the move to removing tyre warming could come sooner rather than later!
Sounds like they’ve been overheating the tyres to make the pressure readings higher when tested and then lower in the race.

Associate
I'd vote for Bridgestone and Michelin to be back as well as Pirelli, with tight FIA control on the tyres and teams being able to choose at the GP which tyres they want to use for the weekend.

I thought that couldn't happen now as the brands pay to be the tyre provider? If they had more than one supplier the owners would no longer make their $$$

The latest remarks sound like the teams have been working their magic to artificially inflate the pressures pre-race. The new checks will involve temperature checks and putting a seal on the tyres such that no tampering can occur. I would have thought this would have already been in use?? The FIA baffles.

Back
Top Bottom