Motorsport Videos Thread

Man of Honour
I think this video is probably the best evidence of why sound is important in motorsport. It's poor quality, but get it to 2 minutes and 20 seconds and the capturing of atmosphere is just fantastic.

[

Turn it up loud....really loud.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
HOT ROD Drag Week 2017 Day 1 archived livestream from Cordova International Raceway

Day 2 archived livestream from Gateway Motorsports Park

Day 3 archived livestream from Byron Dragway

Last edited:
Associate
I think this video is probably the best evidence of why sound is important in motorsport. It's poor quality, but get it to 2 minutes and 20 seconds and the capturing of atmosphere is just fantastic.

Turn it up loud....really loud.

Saw my first F1 cars in the flesh at Silverstone in 1989, went to qualy every year after until 1995. The sound is astonishing, nothing comes close to a howling Ferrari V12. It's a sound that invades your whole body as well as your ears. Sad to think I'll never hear, or indeed feel anything like that ever again.

Man of Honour
Saw my first F1 cars in the flesh at Silverstone in 1989, went to qualy every year after until 1995. The sound is astonishing, nothing comes close to a howling Ferrari V12. It's a sound that invades your whole body as well as your ears. Sad to think I'll never hear, or indeed feel anything like that ever again.

My first was 1979, Williams's first victory :D

Associate
My first was 1979, Williams's first victory :D

The late seventies/early eighties is my favourite F1 era, I would have loved to witness. My first experience of F1 was back in 1991; by gum, the noise! (1992 video as comparison from YouTube):

First race experience was a 1000km Group C race (Silverstone 1988). The noise and speed of the old circuit. Sports cars have lost the edge nowadays.

Whenever someone asks why I go to see a F1 race (as its boring) the noise, speed and the stopping power. Witnessing a car braking from 100 yds never ceases to amaze, or watch an F1 through Copse at Silverstone, just mental.

Man of Honour
My first sports car race was the 1980 Silverstone 6 hours and I never missed another until mid 90s. Never missed a WEC Group C race in the UK, was trackside for all of them, including 1988 @ Silly.

Soldato
It's not testing - it's going for outright lap records, having been retired as a race car at the end of 2017. It's quite well modified from the standard too - all ancillaries removed (wipers, headlights etc), more (non-legal) downforce from a repositioned rear wing as well as other bits, increased power from the 2.0 V4 and more from the hybrid system.

I'd rather Porsche were still racing in the WEC (although maybe their departure will finally stop the ACO/FIA chasing manufacturers so much and make regulations where privateers can thrive), but despite not being their biggest fans, it's pretty bloody cool.

Back
Top Bottom