Mountain Biking

Associate
I think it's a bit of everything.
So, the knee pain wasn't caused by cycling.

When I was on my racing bike (after a year of not using it) it actually hurt my knees. I assumed it was the force I applied to the pedals going up steep hills.

I assumed the ebike helped as it 'flattens the hills'.

But yes. It could well be position too. The mtb has a bigger frame..

After 2 rides that constant annoying pain was just gone.
Had x-rays and apparently no loss of cartilage. So no official diagnosis. But remedy is always 'physio' which has been very hit and miss.

Genuinely thought that was my life, constant knee pain and eventually replacement, but this has at least put that off for (hopefully) a long time

So this bike is as close to a miracle as you can get. For me anyway.

Below is a pic of my miracle bike

nBKUgvB.jpg

My mate has the same bike and hes followed me down some strong red routes and a couple blacks; his gripe is the seat post doesnt really go much lower than that without having to chop it, which means he can't upgrade to a dropper post. He's also had to replace a few parts as they've took a battering in the samll time he's had it following me down routes he probably shouldn't be doing :D
His knee problems have gone too but I think that was more down to riding a medium frame before. E-Bikes will help as they reduce the force on your knees whilst keeping them moving. I used to have bad knees when I overstressed them until I rode more and more and now I don't get bad knees at all even on big rides (non-ebike user).

I also have Glucosamine and Chondroitin 500mg/400mg High Strength Complex from amazon that I forget to take and only really used/remembered when I got a flare up, which relived it within a day or two

Caporegime
My mate has the same bike and hes followed me down some strong red routes and a couple blacks; his gripe is the seat post doesnt really go much lower than that without having to chop it, which means he can't upgrade to a dropper post. He's also had to replace a few parts as they've took a battering in the samll time he's had it following me down routes he probably shouldn't be doing :D
His knee problems have gone too but I think that was more down to riding a medium frame before. E-Bikes will help as they reduce the force on your knees whilst keeping them moving. I used to have bad knees when I overstressed them until I rode more and more and now I don't get bad knees at all even on big rides (non-ebike user).

I also have Glucosamine and Chondroitin 500mg/400mg High Strength Complex from amazon that I forget to take and only really used/remembered when I got a flare up, which relived it within a day or two

Ha. I've no idea what I've been biking on. I've just been going to random coeds and exploring. No jumps but loads of tree roots and steep climbs (thanks electric power) but it's been so fun

Caporegime
Welcome to join me on a ride anytime mate... :) Where have/are you riding at the mo?

I've not had bike that long. I've been on coastal path around gwent levels area.

Llywn celyn forest, coed Craig ruperra, Cefn mabley, Llywn hir

But I'd love to join you. Don't know many people around here at all

No bike rack in car yet. So just been going for rides nearby

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'd love to go mountain biking in Wales, such nice countryside and views.
I don't drive tho, so by the time I rode there, I'd be almost out of battery (both myself and the bike lol)

I uprooted and moved to Wales purely for the sea and my kayaking. Now I have a mtb bike, I'm reaping the rewards of the land too.

K3RoZL9.jpg

Wales is so pretty

Last edited:
Soldato
Looking for some advice on flat pedals shoes. Had a pair of Northwave Tribes but they lasted less than 15 months and 800km. Obvious choice would be some Five Ten Freeriders but was wondering if anything else is worth a look?

Associate
Looking for some advice on flat pedals shoes. Had a pair of Northwave Tribes but they lasted less than 15 months and 800km. Obvious choice would be some Five Ten Freeriders but was wondering if anything else is worth a look?
I've been on Adidas Terrex Trail Cross ( https://www.mbr.co.uk/reviews/shoes/adidas-terrex-trail-cross-sl-shoes-review ) for the last couple years, and they've been pretty decent. But, I think they're almost 5 Tens without the name, as Adidas have owned them 9 years now. I'm 99% sure I got them ~£60 discounted somewhere, so great for the price - sadly I cant find them discounted & in stock (in any normal sizes) atm.

Before them I rode some Giro shoes for a while, but they weren't great.

I have a couple pairs of 5 Tens and tbh, I prefer riding in the Terrex as they have an elasticated band to trap the laces, instead of having to loop them around to prevent them flapping around... Such a simple thing makes slipping them on/off so much easier, especially after a ride when they're wet through and caked in mud.

I'd also look at Shimano shoes as a more $ friendly option compared with 5 Tens. *edit* just seen that CRC have a load of Shimano shoes in their clearance section, so you can get an extra £10 off them with the CLEAR2020 code (as they're all over £75) ;)

Last edited:
Associate
Hi all.

Does anyone have an idea where to get spares for Shimano pedals, staint mx80s? Or am I going to have to go new, if so any recommendations?
no idea for spared m8, but I think most of us recommend Superstar Components Nano pedals for the cheapest high performance peddles going. Sometimes they have discount codes on their newsletter/Facebook, making them quite affordable. Strangely they don't seem to have any pedals at all in stock atm, so I don't know if it's a mistake or what?!?

https://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/shop/mountain/mountain-drivetrain/mountain-pedals/

Soldato
I have a couple pairs of 5 Tens and tbh, I prefer riding in the Terrex as they have an elasticated band to trap the laces, instead of having to loop them around to prevent them flapping around... Such a simple thing makes slipping them on/off so much easier, especially after a ride when they're wet through and caked in mud.

The tribes had that and it's a brilliant feature! Shame the soles on them doesn't hold up.

Will take a look at the terrex, thanks! Got a couple weekends of bike parks coming up so best make a decision quick!

Soldato
Associate
Thanks for that, I'll have a look.

I have searched for spares but nothing...... really winds me up that I will have to throw away perfectly good pedals because spares are not available....chuck away culture I suppose

Associate
no idea for spared m8, but I think most of us recommend Superstar Components Nano pedals for the cheapest high performance peddles going. Sometimes they have discount codes on their newsletter/Facebook, making them quite affordable. Strangely they don't seem to have any pedals at all in stock atm, so I don't know if it's a mistake or what?!?

https://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/shop/mountain/mountain-drivetrain/mountain-pedals/

Bit out of my price range, are they serviceable?

Soldato
Yes completely serviceable but as mentioned no stock yet. New stock is about 3/4 weeks off yet.

I have just got a pair of Uberbike Flatout pedals. Seem alright pedals. Serviceable too.

Associate
Cool, Ill check out Uberbike aswel.

On a side note, has anyone had issues with Shimano calipers leaking oil? I have had around six sets of calipers and all of them have leaked!! I did read that its an issue with the O ring between each piston not being thick enough. But Shimano insist there is no known issue

Back
Top Bottom