Mountain Biking

Soldato
Just had an email from MTB Monster, my Whyte 905 MK3 should be with me in the next couple of weeks, had a deposit on one since June!

Lucky you. After months of trying to source it and finally putting a deposit down, and then three further months of waiting for a delivery date, my new MTB should be getting delivered to the bike shop on the 12th November.

BoJo has well and truly ****** that up with his ill thought out lockdown.

Soldato
My local bike shop are stating that they will currently be staying open unless told otherwise, they said they are taking the view that they were an essential service during the first lockdown so are staying open on that basis. Dont know what others are being told?

Soldato
My local bike shop are stating that they will currently be staying open unless told otherwise, they said they are taking the view that they were an essential service during the first lockdown so are staying open on that basis. Dont know what others are being told?

That sounds exactly like the reply my local shop has come back with.

Soldato
Date been moved back (again) for the Whyte 905, now 25th November. Will it ever arrive? Kind of thinking of getting my deposit back, riding my current bike through the winter and seeing what's about in the spring.

Orbea Laufey H-Ltd due to land in Feb and I am also looking at stock for the Nukeproof Scout.

Caporegime
Date been moved back (again) for the Whyte 905, now 25th November. Will it ever arrive? Kind of thinking of getting my deposit back, riding my current bike through the winter and seeing what's about in the spring.

Orbea Laufey H-Ltd due to land in Feb and I am also looking at stock for the Nukeproof Scout.

That sucks. Mines currently has no date, expecting this month but I'd imagine December is most likely. It's been a long wait! Give me some time to get over the whiplash from Sundays crash :p

Soldato
Wonder when the world will get back to normal.

We've had bikes moved about both ways. Bikes ordered in July still not here but someone walks in and sticks a deposit on the same model but in a different size and it comes a week later!

Soldato
******* typical. Booked today off so I could pick the bike up, phone up too see what time would be best to get there only to be told they have it down as the 17th not the 12th. Apparently the bloke who wrote the form out has atrocious handwriting and his seven looks like a two. Just you watch, with my luck the thing will turn up on the 17th and it'll be the wrong size frame or have 27.5" wheels instead of the 29" I ordered.

Soldato
******* typical. Booked today off so I could pick the bike up, phone up too see what time would be best to get there only to be told they have it down as the 17th not the 12th. Apparently the bloke who wrote the form out has atrocious handwriting and his seven looks like a two. Just you watch, with my luck the thing will turn up on the 17th and it'll be the wrong size frame or have 27.5" wheels instead of the 29" I ordered.

You mean 79" wheels? :D

Soldato
Grrrr....

Got a really frustrating issue with my tubeless tyres.

Went out riding last week and halfway through my ride noticed the rear was flat, so must have hit something at some point. Spun the wheel round to get the sealant to the area and it managed to plug it. Pumped some air back in and carried on towards home. 10 minutes later, sound of air hissing and tyre deflating. Repeat.

Inspected the tyre the following day and noticed a small cut on the tyre. I thought about shoving a bacon strip in there but the hole was so small it would never have fitted. So I topped up the sealant (was probably due as I last filled back in April), spun it round to spread the sealant around, rotated the tyre so the puncture was on ground supporting weight of the bike and pump up with air. Looked to have sealed, so I left it for 4 days.

Went out to ride last right and 10 minutes into my ride, tyre hissing and sealant spattered all over the place. Did what it did first time around but still wouldn't seal. In the end, I cut my ride short and headed home.

I'm using the Muc-Off sealant.

Anyone else had a similar problem? Beginning to think tubeless is more hassle that its worth!

I've got a spare set of tyres, so I''ll look to swap them over. Annoyed that I've just wasted two tyres worth of sealant now as I only topped it up the other day.

Will probably look to apply a puncture repair patch on the inside of the tyre and just have it as a ready back up.

Caporegime
Same, never had any issue with stans. Not a fan of any muc off product though.

Get some glue over the hole, and change sealant. I've had one failure that stans couldn't fix, and in the same day I went through 3 tubes!

Soldato
Well, swapped the tyres over to the new spares I had and have Stan's Sealant installed. Glad I purchased the Giant Control tank the other day. Made getting the tyres to "pop" on the rims a fairly straight forward affair.

But mother of god at the mess when taking the old tyres off and the Muc Off sealant! :eek:

Will leave the tyres for 48 hours before I go out for a ride, as there's a little bit of sealant coming through some areas where the tyre bead meets the rim. Just need to let the sealant do it's job.

Soldato
Yeah I hate the mess of tubeless.

Fitted tyres the wrong way a few weeks ago, wide on rear/narrow on front.

Even after taking the majority of sealant out using the milkit kit the residual sealant made some mess.

Caporegime
Well, swapped the tyres over to the new spares I had and have Stan's Sealant installed. Glad I purchased the Giant Control tank the other day. Made getting the tyres to "pop" on the rims a fairly straight forward affair.

But mother of god at the mess when taking the old tyres off and the Muc Off sealant! :eek:

Will leave the tyres for 48 hours before I go out for a ride, as there's a little bit of sealant coming through some areas where the tyre bead meets the rim. Just need to let the sealant do it's job.

Doesn't that mean it isn't seated correctly?

Yeah those big pumps are a life saver! I've burped a tyre on mid corner when I hadn't seated correctly - that's scary!

Soldato
Exactly as @Begbie has said...
If there's sealant coming through the tyre bead/rim join then there is something wrong. This shouldn't be happening if the tyre bead is seated correctly.
Take the tyre off and check the rim and tyre bead where you can see sealent. Is there excess tape around this area? I.e tape that could be affecting correct seating of the tyre bead?

Caporegime
Exactly as @Begbie has said...
If there's sealant coming through the tyre bead/rim join then there is something wrong. This shouldn't be happening if the tyre bead is seated correctly.
Take the tyre off and check the rim and tyre bead where you can see sealent. Is there excess tape around this area? I.e tape that could be affecting correct seating of the tyre bead?

Yeah, I've seen this loads when people claim they can easily pump their tyres up. It needs to properly popped all around or it'll most likely either burp on itself or come out mid corner. I've pumped mine up pretty high before and went out then drop the tyre on the ground from height a few times.

Back
Top Bottom