Mountain Biking

Associate
So, MTB clothing. Anyone able to give me some pointers on some more suitable equipment to be wearing?

Currently have some padded shorts, MTB shorts, shoes, waterproof socks specific for the bike, I'm then in the colder weather wearing a running base layer for my legs, sports t shirt and a hoodie as I've got nothing else.

Feels like my first buys should be a lightweight shower resistant breathable jacket and some trousers perhaps. I won't be out in heavy rain if I can help it but I want something that will handle showers.

Similarly with summer coming up, reckon I'll try and pick up some jerseys rather than using running gear, assume they're similar but longer at the back?

Soldato
So, MTB clothing. Anyone able to give me some pointers on some more suitable equipment to be wearing?

Currently have some padded shorts, MTB shorts, shoes, waterproof socks specific for the bike, I'm then in the colder weather wearing a running base layer for my legs, sports t shirt and a hoodie as I've got nothing else.

Feels like my first buys should be a lightweight shower resistant breathable jacket and some trousers perhaps. I won't be out in heavy rain if I can help it but I want something that will handle showers.

Similarly with summer coming up, reckon I'll try and pick up some jerseys rather than using running gear, assume they're similar but longer at the back?

What MTB shorts do you have currently?

My current wet/winter weather kit is the following:

Endura MT500 Jacket (excellent, completely waterproof and excellent breathability)
Endura MT500 Shorts (excellent waterproofing and have taken a good hammering since Xmas and holding up well)
I use Canterbury Cold long sleeve and short sleeve base layers. (anything Merino based would be a good purchase, not cheap but do the job adequately)
Any long sleeve jersey. MTB are slightly longer at the back yeah.
100% Brisker Gloves / 100% Brisker Hydromatic Gloves (latter are waterproof, former are excellent warm gloves just not waterproof. i weat the hydromatics if it's belting down and cold)

It rains a bit here in Wales and since having the right kit, im out in all weathers :D

Madison/Fox/Endura all do jacket for the winter/wet weather months. Not all as breathable as each other.

Caporegime

I've got the endura jacket (MTR lightweight one) I'd get too hot in anything bigger even in proper minus temps plus endura trousers. But I prefer to layer, so I'll wear that with a merino baselayer and a ls tee.

But the best tee I've bought for riding in (apart from my expensive specialized top) is uniqlo dri tech top. Was like £20, feels as good as merino, is nice and long, wicks sweat very well and (important to me) doesn't have any stupid flash logos. Absolutely blown away with it, will be buying a few more.

I agree with rhys, since getting trousers and a nice jacket. I don't even care about the weather, my waterproof even fits in my bum bag. So if it looks overcast, it gets rammed in.

Last edited:
Associate
Cheers folks, the MTR jacket seems ideal for me as I do tend to get warm quickly once I'm moving. Wearing a t-shirt and hoodie at the weekend and I was sweating plenty after the climbs!

Will look at getting some merino layers too, alongside a couple of jersey tops. Will check out those Uniqlo ones too, thanks.

Soldato
Another Endura fan here. Got the MT500 waterproof jacket too, don’t get too hot as its got zips under the arms for ventilation. Also got Endura MT500 waterproof shorts, good for winter riding stops you getting soaked and cold, you just get cold :D got MT500 waterproof gloves which are probably the worst Endura I have, I ordered a size above what I usually wear, should have gone 2 sizes.

put a woolly hat in your backpack for when you stop/finish the ride, a snood or two is good for winter and summer (warmth/dust) it I also use an old balaclava for winter to keep the head warm.

For shirts I get Mons Royale, in the sale! :D

Caporegime
Another Endura fan here. Got the MT500 waterproof jacket too, don’t get too hot as its got zips under the arms for ventilation. Also got Endura MT500 waterproof shorts, good for winter riding stops you getting soaked and cold, you just get cold :D got MT500 waterproof gloves which are probably the worst Endura I have, I ordered a size above what I usually wear, should have gone 2 sizes.

put a woolly hat in your backpack for when you stop/finish the ride, a snood or two is good for winter and summer (warmth/dust) it I also use an old balaclava for winter to keep the head warm.

For shirts I get Mons Royale, in the sale! :D

Endura gloves suck, they barely last 6 months. Shame as I love the other bits I have.

Been riding the same hill for about 4 months now. Looking forward to finally being able to travel further afield.

Soldato
I feel Endura stuff never seems to last well, we got some custom kit made years ago for a charity bike ride and it fell apart within 2 years. I've got some old Altura gloves I got when I first got into MTB in 2006 that have only just started to get holes in. Not worn them much last few years, but they've had use every one of the 15 years i've had them. Velcro went ages ago, but to be expected.

Associate
like most things, i think it's a roll of the dice.

I've got some Endura Hummvee 3/4 shorts that have lasted years, but I've read many comments about their stuff not being the most hardy.

Regarding Altura clothing - my Mayhem jacket has been more than amazing for years too. Waterproof while also being pretty breathable. I'd happily get another, but I think they've stopped making them :(

Associate
Well I've ordered a couple of 3/4 sleeve merino jersey tops and an Endura MTR jacket, just need to look at getting some more shorts I think. Certainly could do with more than 1 pair of padded shorts at least!

Will look at getting some trousers and waterproof gloves but thinking I won't make a huge amount of use of them going forward this year. Got 3 pairs of normal gloves so can always bring spares if they do get wet, and shorts are more my thing on a bike anyway unless it's particularly cold

Associate

So yeah, no riding for me this weekend. Bike won't go into anything other than the 2 highest gears thanks to the shifting mechanism being bent out of shape internally. It's less than 2 months old and covered less than 200km, mostly flat ground. Amazing quality!

Soldato
Question. I can't get the saddle tight on my new bike. I initially thought it was the saddle the bike came with as it was creaking so bought a nice new SPG Bel Air 3 Lux and have realised that it was not the saddle creaking but the rails not sitting quite tight enough. So it may be a slightly imperfect clamp which I can investigate but in the meantime, has anyone had this problem before and is there anything I can wrap round the rails for the short term to get the saddle tight?

Associate
What gears are they? That's wrecked!
Box Four that came stock on the bike, heard many stories of Box shifters being made of cheese, now I see why. Honestly just looking at getting a Shimano 11 or 12 speed setup and binning the lot.

Edit: and with that note I've just ordered a full Shimano XT 11 speed setup, minus cranks/chainring. Will just sell the factory bits once it's been replaced under warranty

Last edited:
Associate
So, went about fitting my new bits today, all went swimmingly until it came chain time. Yeah, seems I forgot (overlooked) that an 8 speed 1x front ring doesn't fit an 11 speed chain. Naively I assumed a front narrow wide was just a front narrow wide.

Oops :rolleyes:

Anyway, got myself a new one ordered from CRC for next day delivery, taking the chance to drop to 32t from 34t too, I'm sure my legs will thank me for that on climbs and, honestly, I think the only time I ever max out the gears is riding down the paved, wide hill out of the local trails. So, sod it!

Soldato
Question. I can't get the saddle tight on my new bike. I initially thought it was the saddle the bike came with as it was creaking so bought a nice new SPG Bel Air 3 Lux and have realised that it was not the saddle creaking but the rails not sitting quite tight enough. So it may be a slightly imperfect clamp which I can investigate but in the meantime, has anyone had this problem before and is there anything I can wrap round the rails for the short term to get the saddle tight?

You could tape up the rails to give them a bit more...girth. Failing that, a new seatpost would be your best option.

Back
Top Bottom