Mountain Biking

Associate
Why so many wheels :D
The 29" Rovals that came with the bike were a bit soft and needed truing after a few rides.
I found a set of 29" DTSwiss HXC1200 going cheap so picked up a set, but decided I wanted another set in Alu with a mullet for trails etc. so went looking for some HX1501's

By buying extra wheels I've also ended up with all the different hybrid freehubs too. XD, microspline and HG, so one less thing to worry about when changing drivetrains/cassettes.

Last edited:
Soldato
I did have 2x 29x2.6 vittoria mezcal.
Recently I purchased a new dt swiss 27.5 wheel for the rear and have ordered a schwalbe johnny watts to try out. I may still buy another 27.5 mezcal..
I also now have a second set of dt swiss wheels in carbon, currently with 2x 29" maxxis hookworm for commuting/road use.
Thanks. That's useful.
My fork manual states max tyre width 2.25 (although I think this is a guide?). I think at the moment it is a nicely balanced set of wheel to tyre to frame size. The bike is very nimble/twitchy which I kind of like and that's part thanks to the 2.25 tyres I think whereas on my mate's 2.6 boost I can feel that there's more contact patch on the ground so whilst more grip, not as twitchy? I think if I did go wider I'd go 2.3" max as that looks like will leave enough clearance for the fork arms and even rear chainstay if I did the rears in future.

The Rocket Runs are night and day vs the stock tanned wall tyres that came on the bike though! SO at least I know that tyre compound and technology makes a big difference even when staying the same width!
What you say about "titchiness" chimes quite a bit with the feeling I get from the Wild Rock Rs. Also, the advice I've had elsewhere is that speed is far more about selecting a harder compound (and less aggressive tread) which exactly what you're saying too. Thanks.

After a bit of looking around I'm going to get some Continental X Kings - a 2.3" for the front and a 2.2" for the back - and see if that makes a difference.

Associate
Really need to get myself a wider saddle to suit my sit bone, using the stock medium width Nukeproof one and it feels like I'm sitting on the edge constantly but stock just seems non-existent as with anything bike related currently!

Soldato
Well, as my last little bit of crypto bullrun profit taking... I'm building a new bike.

Frame lands tomorrow! Can't wait.

Ordered some more parts. The frame is beautiful.

Bought:
- Deviate Highlander 140mm (Matt Black)
- Fox Float X2
- Hope Carbon Handlebars
- Hope F20 Pedals (Purple)
- Hope AM-FR 35mm Stem (Purple)
- Hope Headset (Purple)
- Hope 4 Pro Hubs (Purple)
- Hope Bottom Bracket (Black)
- Hope Tech 3 V4 (Black calipers + levers) + Purple Rotors 203mm both (only ones in stock)
- Shimano XT 12 Speed groupset minus chain (Black)
----------------------------
On order to shop:
- Fox 36 Factory Grip2 160mm in Black
----------------------------
Left to buy / find:
- Seatpost: Fox Transfer Dropper, Kashima coating
- Grips: Idk, black.
- Wheels: EX511 Rear & XM481 Front
- Tyres: Recommendations? Going to go Tubeless.

Nearly all done, but it's a nightmare trying to find the parts. They're coming from all over the place lol.

Soldato
Following on from my earlier post.

I upgraded to an rct3 charger and debonair on my 2018 revelation. Wow what a difference. Its basically a Pike fork now and it feels so much more plush.

Need to probably make a few tweaks to perfect it but it's awesome. My bike feels so much better.

Associate
Following on from my earlier post.

I upgraded to an rct3 charger and debonair on my 2018 revelation. Wow what a difference. Its basically a Pike fork now and it feels so much more plush.

Need to probably make a few tweaks to perfect it but it's awesome. My bike feels so much better.
I think I will do he same on my Yari during first service.

Associate
So, perhaps I'm being a bit mad right now but I've got a mad itch to treat myself and build a new bike up with a load of the parts off my current one, then turn the current hardtail into a bit of an XC-type ride and have a proper trail/enduro full susser too.

Done a bit of maths and I can get everything I need for the new setup for just over £3k, then maybe £400 or so to replace parts on the current bike i.e. tyres, possibly wheels needed too.

Is it a mental thing to do? It just so happens I've found a couple of 'end of line' bargains to make the price affordable - I think you'd be looking at £4.5k+ off the shelf.

Soldato
So, perhaps I'm being a bit mad right now but I've got a mad itch to treat myself and build a new bike up with a load of the parts off my current one, then turn the current hardtail into a bit of an XC-type ride and have a proper trail/enduro full susser too.

Done a bit of maths and I can get everything I need for the new setup for just over £3k, then maybe £400 or so to replace parts on the current bike i.e. tyres, possibly wheels needed too.

Is it a mental thing to do? It just so happens I've found a couple of 'end of line' bargains to make the price affordable - I think you'd be looking at £4.5k+ off the shelf.

It's only mental if you haven't got a disposable income.

I have a desire to build a bike with a Chinese carbon frame myself.

Caporegime
It's only mental if you haven't got a disposable income.

I have a desire to build a bike with a Chinese carbon frame myself.

I'd like to see how it goes, I have heard there is good frames. Always scares me though, and the weight saving is nearly meaningless unless full on XC racing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZHWi2Ou5U8

Ordered some more parts. The frame is beautiful.

Nearly all done, but it's a nightmare trying to find the parts. They're coming from all over the place lol.

Need pics, such an awesome looking frame!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom