Poll: Moving a partner into an owned-home? Finances

Options for finances?

• Total voters
Soldato
How long have you been together? - surprised no one has asked this question yet.

Jono makes some good points that you'd need to think about from a legal perspective.

Ultimately any form of bill sharing can be seen as having an interest in that property.

Also a lot might depend on how much equity you now have in the property. If you're not long into your mortgage term, then that's not so bad. But imagine you're about 75% paid up, and your partner moves in, you'd probably be better continue to pay all bills 100% yourself.

Associate
I was in a similar position with my then g/f (now fiancée) when we purchased a house in July 2015. The mortgage is in my name and based on my earnings only as she has been working abroad for several years and hasn’t had any regular income. I put in a substantial amount more with regards to deposit and fees. We both however pay half the mortgage each.

I looked into getting a declaration of trust drawn up which would state that in the events of a split I’d get initial spend back, she’d get hers back and then any equity gained split 50/50. In the end though we didn’t pay to have this written up. If things ever did go sour I just hope I don’t end up stitched up but hey ho.

Maybe have a chat with your partner about getting a declaration of trust written up for a just in case situation. It also means the terms are documented legally and she’d know she would get any investment made back in the event of a split. I’m unsure how it’d be worded / calculated but the amount returned in the event of a split would only be the amount that pays off the mortgage, not the interest as well as in the full monthly repayment amount divided by two.

Soldato
I always thought that if I met someone (again) who I would want to buy a house with, then I would sell mine/keep_as_investment and we'd buy something together. Not everyone wants to move into someone elses home.

My missus felt like this. She moved into my house but didn't feel like it was her home so we ended up renting mine out and bought a new one together. I put the bulk of the deposit in so we had a deed of trust drawn up so if we did split up I shouldn't get screwed over!

Caporegime
I've been person B twice.

First time, she paid the mortgage, I paid the bills, and all other costs were evenly split between us relative to earnings (I earned about 20% more than her).

Currently I just pay a flat rent, which includes groceries, and my gf pays for all the individual things using that combined with her income.

Soldato
Get her to sign something which states she does not have any right to your property. Make sure it's legally binding, half living bills.

Make sure you cover your self.

KaHn

If person B can demonstrate they are contributing to the household in other ways like utility bills, shopping etc. I believe they effectively claim against Person A's mortgage, should they ever split up in the future.

Can Person B put finances into the mortgage repayments, having sold a property to move in with Person A?

Caporegime
Scenario: Person A owns house, pays mortgage. Person B wants to move in. Not married.

Options for finances?

a) Split equity agreement and share mortgage payments at agreed rate for dual ownership
b) A pays mortgage, B pays bills
c) B freeloads
d) other?

Interested in hearing which options above, or others not listed, any of you folk have adopted.. and any potential challenges/risks associated..

Unless you trust her 100%, get a rental contract drawn up so that she is legally a tenant. If in doubt how to fully protect your itnerests, see a lawyer first.

Soldato
I'm person B and we are currently using option C (as I'm still looking for work). This turns into option B at some point, hopefully next week.

Rather than all the negativity, maybe she (or he) wants to move the relationship on as it's been a few years (Youve given us no idea of time frames)

What do you want?

Soldato
e) Person B pays for increase in utilities & 50% of fixed charges (council tax, internet & phone etc). No payment for, or claim on, equity.

Give them a lodging agreement and stay under the declarable tax free threshold.

Soldato
tricky because even if she pays 'rent' it would be considered by the court to mean she has a share of the house because you were in a relationship (if you break up).

go for B but have her pay ONLY her share of the bills, then you are covered.
You could get her to pay what would be rent into another account - then if you get married etc that money can then be yours as a couple to use, and if the whole thing falls apart she can walk away with that money and you get to keep the house.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
I would be going to seek proper legal advise on this one, as I seen a few cases of late with friends parting ways with there ex's and its not been pretty. So ensure everything is covered including little loopholes.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
tricky because even if she pays 'rent' it would be considered by the court to mean she has a share of the house because you were in a relationship (if you break up).

:confused: Can you provide a citation for this, even one example, ever?

Soldato
Scenario: Person A owns house, pays mortgage. Person B wants to move in. Not married.

Options for finances?

a) Split equity agreement and share mortgage payments at agreed rate for dual ownership

b) A pays mortgage, B pays bills

c) B freeloads

d) other?

Interested in hearing which options above, or others not listed, any of you folk have adopted.. and any potential challenges/risks associated..

We're planning to do B when my OH moves in early next year. I bought property before,well completion was after, we started seeing each other.

Plan is she'll pay all the bills and I'll pay mortgage and anything else to do with property. Not quite decided on the furniture/ homeware stuff yet.

She's happy with that. Her parents just went through divorce and she's seen 1st hand how unfair it was to her dad.

Going forward though we'll buy a place together and rent my place out or sell it if needed, though we shouldn't need to.

Soldato
Oh and this is a bit of advice from someone who has been there and got mildly burnt!

If the man/woman you intend to move in, reacts in a weird manner when you suggest getting an agreement written up then think carefully WHY!?

A normal rational adult will calmly discuss the issue and not resort to the "don't you love me? trust me? " and tears routine hoping you back down and give in.

Think very VERY carefully about just how the person you are hoping to share YOUR house with reacts in this situation....

Soldato
I had the same. I bought the house while we were together, she moved in about six months later. I know friends who have been burnt so I've done the following:

• I paid the deposit, all mortgage payments, legal fees, etc.
  • I pay for furniture, maintenance, etc unless it is something specific she wants that is small and movable (e.g. framed painting).
  • We split other bills such as council tax, utilities, etc with her paying an amount into my personal account.
This basically means I pay around £1,100 a month and she pays £150 a month plus food, entertainment, etc that we split 50/50 via our joint account.

She suggested paying me more (which would be awesome) but got funny when I suggested a contract. She's saving a fortune, I get a few £ for bills.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom