Moving from Mac to PC but need to know if this build is compatible.

Associate
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to move to PC after years of using an Imac but I just wanted to know if this build is compatible. I want to use the PC for gaming and video editing and I want to use Win 7 so I will be going with the Intel i7 6700k CPU.

CPU - Intel i7 6700k

Motherboard - ASUS LGA 1151 STRIX Z270E GAMING Intel Z270 ATX Motherboard

GPU - ASUS NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Expedition Graphics Card

Ram - Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB DDR4 3000MHz

HD - WD Blue 2TB Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 5400 RPM

Case - NZXT S340 Mid Tower PC Case

CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212X CPU Air Cooler (would this be good enough to overclock?)

PSU - EVGA 650w GQ (would 650w be enough?)

Would this build be compatible?

Soldato
Hi, welcome to the forum.

It is.

Some thoughts:

If you go with Windows 8.1 you should get some support till 2023 instead of 2020. Bear in mind Microsoft trying its damndest to get everyone on 10, and could fail to support it before then or be a pest.

The system will feel sluggish without a solid state drive. Especially with a 5400 RPM spinner. If you could add one to use as OS/programs drive, better. Preferably 500 or 250GB but even a 120GB would be better than none.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £278.67 (includes shipping: £8.70)

The Crucial MX300 525GB SSD is discounted for £115 right now, elsewhere, and is also a good choice. After Black Friday, all prices should go up again.

650W is overkill for a 6700K and 1050Ti. It would be a good choice for a 1080Ti. So if you want to be covered for such upgrades, then go for it. If interest in gaming/upgrading is more casual, then a 450/550 would be fine. Have a look at Seasonic Focus Plus Golds with 10 year warranty, might find they aren't too much more than EVGA GQ.

The Hyper 212X will allow some overclocking. I'd put any extra money into SSD first and foremost.

Associate
OP
Just wanted to say thanks for all the help Soldato. I ordered the parts and I went with the crucial MX300 ssd
smile.gif
I have decided to go with the a better GPU. I have a gift card and have to chose between a EVGA SC 1060 6GB or a Asus Strix Rog 1060 6gb (not the overclocked version). These are the two 1060s the shop sells so I have to choose between the 2. Which one do you think is better?

Soldato
Just wanted to say thanks for all the help Soldato. I ordered the parts and I went with the crucial MX300 ssd
smile.gif
I have decided to go with the a better GPU. I have a gift card and have to chose between a EVGA SC 1060 6GB or a Asus Strix Rog 1060 6gb (not the overclocked version). These are the two 1060s the shop sells so I have to choose between the 2. Which one do you think is better?

You're welcome. Name's Danny. Soldato is one of the silly mobster titles you get after making a certain amount of posts in the forum. :)

In this case the Asus Strix. The EVGA SC model has one fan? So the Strix already being a very good card, wins with its 3 fans. Keep it cooler. EVGA support is terrific though, and you do get the option with EVGA of buying an extended 5 year warranty for not much more. Either is a good choice, just the SC would be a bit warmer, likely a bit noisier. The Strix will look nicer in that case, fill it up a bit more than the SC.

Since you're going to spend more it looks like, do you have enough for an even better CPU cooler, now?

Associate
OP
You're welcome. Name's Danny. Soldato is one of the silly mobster titles you get after making a certain amount of posts in the forum. :)

In this case the Asus Strix. The EVGA SC model has one fan? So the Strix already being a very good card, wins with its 3 fans. Keep it cooler. EVGA support is terrific though, and you do get the option with EVGA of buying an extended 5 year warranty for not much more. Either is a good choice, just the SC would be a bit warmer, likely a bit noisier. The Strix will look nicer in that case, fill it up a bit more than the SC.

Since you're going to spend more it looks like, do you have enough for an even better CPU cooler, now?

Thanks for reply again Danny and sorry for getting your name wrong XD Yeah the Strix has a lot of good reviews but I wasn't sure if I should buy it as the shop I'm getting it from only sells the normal one that you can't overclock. I always hear people saying that its good to overclock your GPU so I thought that the EVGA SC would be better because its overclockable. Would the Strix perform better then the EVGA even though its the non OC version?

Yh I do, I have been looking at the Corsair Hydro H55 but I'm not really sure if its the correct thing to buy?? I'm quite new to the whole build your own PC thing and tbh its confusing as hell =/

Soldato
Thanks for reply again Danny and sorry for getting your name wrong XD Yeah the Strix has a lot of good reviews but I wasn't sure if I should buy it as the shop I'm getting it from only sells the normal one that you can't overclock. I always hear people saying that its good to overclock your GPU so I thought that the EVGA SC would be better because its overclockable. Would the Strix perform better then the EVGA even though its the non OC version?

No worries, the non-OC model actually can overclock. I can see why the name would be confusing. It's just that the "OC" version has a slightly higher clock out of the box (which is then made irrelevant by Boost 3.0 which auto-overclocks each card to what it thinks each chip can take, and then you can add an extra overclock on top if you wish, and if it's a decent chip).

Yh I do, I have been looking at the Corsair Hydro H55 but I'm not really sure if its the correct thing to buy?? I'm quite new to the whole build your own PC thing and tbh its confusing as hell =/

It would work. Corsair have good support too. At 120mm rad space it won't cool quite as well as one of the best big air coolers which might be found for around the same price, or even less. But it should cool better than Hyper 212. Also consider whether you want a more "clean" look to your build without a big air cooler, in which case a 120 or 240mm liquid cooler would be just the ticket. If you want to consider big air coolers, stick to 160mm height (your case's cooler height restriction) coolers such as these:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £247.46 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

Associate
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to move to PC after years of using an Imac but I just wanted to know if this build is compatible. I want to use the PC for gaming and video editing and I want to use Win 7 so I will be going with the Intel i7 6700k CPU.

CPU - Intel i7 6700k

Motherboard - ASUS LGA 1151 STRIX Z270E GAMING Intel Z270 ATX Motherboard

GPU - ASUS NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Expedition Graphics Card

Ram - Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB DDR4 3000MHz

HD - WD Blue 2TB Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 5400 RPM

Case - NZXT S340 Mid Tower PC Case

CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212X CPU Air Cooler (would this be good enough to overclock?)

PSU - EVGA 650w GQ (would 650w be enough?)

Would this build be compatible?

You do realize that processor is 2 years ago's technology, right? You want an 8700K, not a 6700K, and a Z370 board.. and if you want two free cores for your money with comparable IPC performance, you want a Ryzen 7 1700 and a B350 board, both of which are more affordable than intel equivalents.

Either of the suggested platforms supports overclocking, which you should do, because it is so easy now and free performance is good.

Associate
You do realize that processor is 2 years ago's technology, right? You want an 8700K, not a 6700K, and a Z370 board.. and if you want two free cores for your money with comparable IPC performance, you want a Ryzen 7 1700 and a B350 board, both of which are more affordable than intel equivalents.

Either of the suggested platforms supports overclocking, which you should do, because it is so easy now and free performance is good.

It seems the reason a 6700k was picked was due to wanting to run windows 7, which Intel haven't done with the newer generations... However as stated above, Windows 7 support is due to end in 2020, which is pretty close so I would say the only real choices if building a PC now are 8.1 or 10.

Associate
It seems the reason a 6700k was picked was due to wanting to run windows 7, which Intel haven't done with the newer generations... However as stated above, Windows 7 support is due to end in 2020, which is pretty close so I would say the only real choices if building a PC now are 8.1 or 10.

Agreed. Also 7 and 8.1 do not give you DX12 support, which is a major upgrade for gaming.

I think people sticking to older versions of windows is silly, as telemetry (ie spying) has been bodged onto older windows versions by MS anyways and there's no way to really get away from it. Honestly I see no point in running anything but Win 10 if Windows is your environment of choice.

Very very very ridiculous to run Win 7 right now, and exponentially more ridiculous to buy a CPU that is 2 generations old (and a rip off given that it is matched by a current i3) just to run Win 7, which will be EOL in just over 2 yrs anyways. Makes no sense.

Associate
I disagree with all the negative comments about Windows 7 it doesn't matter if MS stop support that doesn't mean it just stops working and 2020 is still well off by that time maybe they would have sorted out Windows 10 at the moment it's awful.

the other thing you can run Windows 7 on these newer intel or amd it just takes more effort to get them running

Back
Top Bottom