1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving itunes to external drive. Drive letter problem

Discussion in 'Windows & Other Software' started by sswats, 15 Mar 2010.

1. sswats

Wise Guy

I need to move the itunes folder to an external drive.
    I know how to move it and set it in ituns, but The thing I'm worried about is the drive letter changing next time i plug it in.

Any ideas how to resolve that?

2. SiriusB

Capodecina

If you right-click Computer and then click Manage. Then click Disk Management you can assign a drive letter to your external drive.

Choose a letter high up the alphabet, and that drive *should* get the same drive letter each time.

I have just tested the theory with a few different USB drives. I assigned one as T: and unplugged it and plugged it back in. Was assigned T: again. I also tried it in a new USB port, again, assigned T:. Even with different combinations of drives plugged in, and changing the order I plugged them in, the same drive was always assigned T:. This was on Windows 7. This behaviour may not be the same on XP or Vista.

I am not saying it is fool proof, but my quick experiment showed promise :)

3. rhysduck

Soldato

As Sirius said. This will help stop Windows assigning any other drive letter to the external drive and cocking up your paths.
    Also, follow this guide: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1364 :)