Moving M.2 SSD to new PC query?

Associate
Hello everyone,

I’m new to PC building and will be moving some of my hardware to a new PC this week. I’m moving my RAM and M.2 (Sabrent Rocket 500gb Gen 4) from my Corsair 275R build to a CM NR200P build. In the new build I have a new CPU and MB to build with, I currently have my OS on the M.2 drive.

How would be the best way to transfer the M.2 drive to the new PC?

I am not worried about (Data loss) as it is only a few months old. I would be happy to move just the OS if possible? I would also be happy to format the M.2 and start fresh in the new build (if this is even possible, formatting a drive whilst the OS is stored on it ).

I do have a 2.5 in the current build, could/should I move the OS to that drive and then format the M.2 drive?

Sorry about all the questions, but I would really appreciate any advice from experienced people with this matter.

I have done some browsing, but not finding a solution.

Thank you in advance for any advice

Ste

Associate
OP
That’s what I’d prefer to do TBH.

but can I format it whilst my OS is currently on the drive?

or

Is there a way I could move the OS to the 3.5 HDD or 2.5 SSD I have in my current build then format the M.2?

Permabanned
Hello everyone,

I’m new to PC building and will be moving some of my hardware to a new PC this week. I’m moving my RAM and M.2 (Sabrent Rocket 500gb Gen 4) from my Corsair 275R build to a CM NR200P build. In the new build I have a new CPU and MB to build with, I currently have my OS on the M.2 drive.

How would be the best way to transfer the M.2 drive to the new PC?

I am not worried about (Data loss) as it is only a few months old. I would be happy to move just the OS if possible? I would also be happy to format the M.2 and start fresh in the new build (if this is even possible, formatting a drive whilst the OS is stored on it ).

I do have a 2.5 in the current build, could/should I move the OS to that drive and then format the M.2 drive?

Sorry about all the questions, but I would really appreciate any advice from experienced people with this matter.

I have done some browsing, but not finding a solution.

Thank you in advance for any advice

Ste

Depends whether you have an OS key. Not a good idea to re-install Windows if you don't. I normally just transfer the drive and it sorts itself out. Windows will usually tolerate a total hardware change without the need for a new key.

Back
Top Bottom