1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving OS from one hd to another

Discussion in 'Windows & Other Software' started by Sul, 28 Jan 2006.

1. Sul

Gangster

Hi,

I just got myself a raptor and I want to move my OS on my other HD to the raptor. I tried doing this using Acronis True Image. I took an image of the windows OS partition and then wrote that image onto the raptor. To test it out I unplugged my other hd, and found that the raptor would not get past the small MS logo screen with the blue background (just before "welcome" displays and the desktop is shown). It would only load if my other hd was plugged in. Looks like it's still wanting to use files from that HD..

How do I make the transfer?

Thanks

2. uknorthboy

Gangster

I think partition magic can do that?
    Anyhow there is a free trial here so give it a go it might be what you want.

3. Mr Blonde

Caporegime

I've used XXClone many times for this exact purpose - http://xxclone.com/xxclone.zip.
    It's free for personal use, simple to use and after 20+ perfect clones I recommend it.

4. Sul

Gangster

I tried partition magic and couldn't figure out how to move it.. so I just used acronis true image to clone the whole disk over (set it running and went to sleep) - was done when I woke up, and just shifted the other two partitions back to disk 2. Worked out!

Thanks for the replies - I'll check those solutions out next time I need to do something like this, they're probably faster.

5. Clarkey

Capodecina

I used trueimage to move and resize partitions to a new hdd, worked spot on.

6. sfx

Hitman

I always use Acronis TrueImage for stuff like this. Use it alot at work.

sfx

7. hybrid

Wise Guy

We use Ghost for this thing at work. Its pretty good. :)

8. Styles

Mobster

I've heard very good things about Acronis TrueImage. May well be worth a look.