Moving Wordpress to another host

Soldato
I have done a Wordpress site for a friend. It uses a bought theme. I would like to transfer it over to their hosting. What is the easiest way of doing this, so I can say zip up the database/theme/site in one?

Thanks

Associate
Honestly if you're asking then you'd be best using migratewp or backupbuddy or some cheap premium plugin for the cause.

If you want a free version that is technically the easiest for yourself I'd say the quickest way is to install the same version of wp on their hosting then unzip the wp-contents folder into their hosting from your current host and then run "wp sync db" plugin to migrate the db over.

Takes less than 10 minutes if you're used to it.

/ WP Whiz...

Soldato
Download the all-in-one WP migration plugin. It will help you move the site easily enough. When doing the backup you can do a search and replace to catch your URL string and update it with the new one, then install WP on the new host and the plugin and import again. It seems pretty robust. I used to do it all manually, zipping files, exporting SQL, editing etc, but it's long winded.

edit: beaten like a ginger step-child

Caporegime
Moving hosts is easy.

Download all files via FTP.
Create database with same name on new server
Create export of database
Upload files to host
Import database

Job done.

I assume domain name is staying the same?

Associate
There are a few extra steps to consider in editing the database if your domain name is changing. It probably isn't, but thought I'd mention it in case.

Soldato
Another vote for Wordpress Duplicator. I use it when moving dev sites to the live URL and it works so well.

Back
Top Bottom