1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MR2 Question.

Discussion in 'Motors' started by Von Smallhausen, 9 Jul 2006.

1. Von Smallhausen

Man of Honour

I have heard that should the cam belt go on an MR2 then it is so designed that the valves will not go with it and the only thing to replace would be the belt itself and it wouldn't effectively knack the engine if it happened.

Does any MR2 owners or others know any more about this or have any info.

Cheers.

2. eidolon

Capodecina

In theory that's correct. The 3SGTE is a non interference engine so you shouldn't bend the valves if the cam belt should snap although I'm not sure if I'd like to be the one to test it out

3. Von Smallhausen

Man of Honour

Agreed totally. :)

I am not saying it to verify and skimp on servicing, I am just curious and think it impressive if it is so designed.

4. Dogbreath

Capodecina

It's not especialy impressive tbh. Modern DOHC engines aren't designed to be "interference", it's a side effect of designing the engine for good performance and economy, i.e. high compression ratio, high valve lift, compact combustion chamber, lots of squish etc.

Being turbocharged, the 3SGTE has a low compression ratio to start with, and relatively mild cam timing/lift so it has a good advantage from the start.