• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

MSI 3080 i5 7600k benchmark

Associate
Evening,

Had my 3080 now for about a month, and if I’m honest it feels abit ropey, performance of war zone and black ops seem to be no better than on my 2070s, actually at the moment it’s almost unplayable 50fps on low settings (80-90 on 2070s). I know I have a slight bottleneck on the CPU but was still expecting an improvement. Tried all drivers, I’m on the latest windows, today I thought I’d try a different game hoping I was just warzones poor optimisation but on assassins creed odyssey I had trouble getting over 45fps in the busy areas of the game on ultra settings, so downloaded 3D Mark and see attached my results, not sure if they are good? Trying to determine whether the GPU needs RMA.

Hee0BMy.jpg XbzmiKD.jpg

Associate
Well, you do have an old quad-core CPU.

Budget low-cost CPU (in today's terms) paired with an expensive high-end GPU. They`re two extremes.

+1

It's your CPU my friend. And yes you would get that negative impact. When I upgraded the 4690k I sold on here recently for the 4790k I also sold on here recently with my 2080, there was a clear difference in smoothness, microstutter etc.

Associate
Your CPU is more than just a "slight" bottleneck buddy

Its a total miss-match and your 3080 is just being wasted in that rig

In fact that CPU will already have been bottlenecking your 2070s

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
As others have said it's a CPU bottleneck at lower resolutions. Here is something to cheer you up a bit :-

Best update for you is a 5800x cpu and a X570 or B550 motherboard to get the best out of that 3080.

Associate
OP
Thank you everyone for your advice and feedback so with a £400 budget, what CPU would you recommend? I only use the computer for gaming?

C64

C64

Soldato
even 6 cores enough its night and day warzone on my old 4 core vs 6 core 3600
on 4 core was a choppy mess just on the title screen I'd go for 8 core at this stage though even though a 3600 would see you alright may as well go 8 core

Soldato
Thank you everyone for your advice and feedback so with a £400 budget, what CPU would you recommend? I only use the computer for gaming?

Assuming you can reuse your RAM?

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £368.98 (includes shipping: £0.00)

You could save £60-100 by dropping down to the 10400F if you're not interested in overclocking. I'm not 100% clued up on Intel motherboards so should you go this route I'd ask for second opinions on the mobo.

AMD:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £419.98 (includes shipping: £0.00)

Alternatively you could save £140 + by picking up a 3600 instead of the 5600X, honestly at 1440P or above you're probably not going to notice a difference. If you do go AMD you might want to consider your RAM, even if you already have DDR4 Ryzen very much likes and needs fast memory to see the best results. Ideally you want 3200 as a minimum, although if you're on 3000 you'll be fine -- if your RAM is slower than that you could see if you can OC it.

The above are both 6c12t solutions, you could probably fit 8c16t into your budget, but whether or not it's worthwhile is another matter.

With the AMD option you have a better platform and easier future upgrades, it's the route I would go personally.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom