• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

MSI 980TI caught on fire

Caporegime
Pc randomly closed down while playing wow then I noticed sparks coming out the GPU and actually had flames which I had to put out with a towel, I'm interested to know what actually caught or burst on the GPU from the picture
https://i.imgur.com/SF0hgKt.jpg

From how close it is to the pci-e cable connectors some kind of power regulator or something. Hopefully it only took itself out and not anything else in the pc.

Soldato
you want to look at the other side really.

Looks about right for one of the inductors on the other side to have shorted out... coud be one of the capacitors but looks a little high up.

see the small square component below the shunt resistor here (r68)

x4X0n4d.jpg

Associate
OP
From how close it is to the pci-e cable connectors some kind of power regulator or something. Hopefully it only took itself out and not anything else in the pc.
the rest of the PC works fine, just the GPU is dead, could not happen at a worst time tho, with the new stuff being so close

Associate
OP
you want to look at the other side really.

Looks about right for one of the inductors on the other side to have shorted out... coud be one of the capacitors but looks a little high up.

see the small square component below the shunt resistor here (r68)

x4X0n4d.jpg
ill check it out tmr because im at work atm, im gonna post more pictures of the otherside too

Soldato
Ouch, you have my sympathies.

Yeh, about the worst possible time for a graphics card to shuffle off its mortal coil.

Might be worth asking if you know anybody that has a spare GPU to tide you over until the new stuff hits.

Associate
OP
Last edited:
Soldato
Looks like there has been some sort of short there between the pins or the inductor shorted and burned out the trace to the pins.

I'd say my guess is probably the power inductor failed catastrophically, shorted out and too much current tried to flow along the traces there, copper burned out and took pcb with it.

Associate
OP
What are you playing at the minute? i have a spare 560ti you can borrow for a while. Its not great, but at least you'll have a PC
thank you ever so much for the offer but it's ok, i'll detox from gaming for a bit and wait for the new GPU'S to arrive shortly i hope

Associate
It's generally a good sign if your PC is 'lit up' either with real fire/sparks or RGB. Doesn't matter so much which as when. Ideally when relatives or friends are around for maximum effect. Shame GPU down but fire up another asap and report back!

Associate
giphy.gif

Glad the rest of your system is OK OP

Back
Top Bottom