msi b450 tomahawk amd 3000 no longer posting

Soldato
I don't really know for sure why AMD don't have any Bxxx boards available for launch with the Ryzen 3000 CPU and X570 boards; but I'm sure I saw someone post somewhere, that AMD likely want to be seen as a higher end competitor to Intel, and not just a cheaper alternative for those people who can't afford Intel's better products.

If AMD release more expensive products, that might give some people the impression that they are competing at the 'higher end' with Intel, so are more likely to consider AMD products as a good alternative to Intel. With only X570 available, some people are just paying that higher price.

ASMedia make the Bxxx chip sets, but won't supply B550 to board manufacturers until the end of the year. I'm guessing that's down to AMD, not ASMedia. I'd imagine they could have had them ready by now, if required.

AMD wanting to up their profile, makes sense, and not just be the 'cheaper alternative' to Intel.

Sucks for those who won't pay £200+ for a decent board though. Less of a problem for those already with a previous gen CPU and board, as they can flash to the latest BIOS without too much trouble. Certainly more of a hassle for first time builders with a Ryzen 3000 CPU though.

Soldato
thanks guys for the flashback advice. I built my daughter a 1700 pc a couple of years ago but unfortunately she is very protective and I doubt whther she would loan me her CPU even though I have some thermal grizzly left.
Lol.

Remind her of all the things you've done for her. And that it's nice to help people especially when it costs nothing but perhaps time.

Soldato
I've been told that won't help, as I suspected it wouldn't. There is the latest bios on there and it's been reset to default.

I think you need to understand what is happening when you use the flashback port and button, rather than making an assumption it won't work again.

You are essentially force flashing the SPI ROM and it overwrites *everything* stored included any changes made etc. If you managed to get the system to boot with this method once, then assuming nothing else is at fault it would work again. Using a logical method to resolving an issue like this is required, not an emotional or assumption based one.

Associate
thanks guys for the flashback advice. I built my daughter a 1700 pc a couple of years ago but unfortunately she is very protective and I doubt whther she would loan me her CPU even though I have some thermal grizzly left.

Tell her she might need a kidney one day.

Associate
I just find it ridiculous that they didnt release Ryzen 3000 ready boards that are mid tier prices.

I'd rather have a lite BIOS though then the hassle of returning my carbon B450, for a MAX board. Especially if they dont cover costs.

Associate
Associate
OP
I think you need to understand what is happening when you use the flashback port and button, rather than making an assumption it won't work again.

You are essentially force flashing the SPI ROM and it overwrites *everything* stored included any changes made etc. If you managed to get the system to boot with this method once, then assuming nothing else is at fault it would work again. Using a logical method to resolving an issue like this is required, not an emotional or assumption based one.

I do understand it and I said it wouldn't work because I had already done that (re-flashed it) over and over again. I wasn't getting emotional....

However, I solved my problem, sorry I haven't been back on for a while to explain why, slightly embarassing solution coming up.....

Swap the Display Port GPU cable to HDMI, screen came on.

I suppose I mistakenly said it wasn't posting because nothing was coming on the screen, but it turns out the computer just decided it didn't like Display Port anymore.

There are still plenty of people on Reddit saying there Tomahawk + Ryzen 3000 series isn't working though.

It could be that people aren't formatting their USB stick correctly for the flash back port, a guy put a very comprehensive procedure on Reddit the other day regarding this so hopefully that'll help a lot of people out.

Associate
I do understand it and I said it wouldn't work because I had already done that (re-flashed it) over and over again. I wasn't getting emotional....

However, I solved my problem, sorry I haven't been back on for a while to explain why, slightly embarassing solution coming up.....

Swap the Display Port GPU cable to HDMI, screen came on.

I suppose I mistakenly said it wasn't posting because nothing was coming on the screen, but it turns out the computer just decided it didn't like Display Port anymore.

There are still plenty of people on Reddit saying there Tomahawk + Ryzen 3000 series isn't working though.

It could be that people aren't formatting their USB stick correctly for the flash back port, a guy put a very comprehensive procedure on Reddit the other day regarding this so hopefully that'll help a lot of people out.
thanks for telling us. Hopefully next time we have a similar problem it will help remind us to try other things rather than jumping to conclusions.

Associate
This is the issue with AMD not releasing any boards that natively support Zen 2 for under £100, why the hell they didn't release some B550 boards beats me, I'd be all over Zen 2 but even the cheapest X570 boards are £150 and the good ones cost over £200+, no one in their right mind would spend all that on a £180 CPU.

Board prices are ridiculous. Hopefully future BIOS updates fix these issues with earlier boards but it seems even X570 have their own issues.

Soldato
Board prices are ridiculous. Hopefully future BIOS updates fix these issues with earlier boards but it seems even X570 have their own issues.
What issues do the X570 boards seem to be having? MSI Tomahawk Max is now in stock with UK retailers so that is good at least, will be interested in how things go with those.

Back
Top Bottom