MSI Big Bang *Official* Motherboard thread (Lucid Hydra 200)

Associate
The thing is judging from how Nvidia disables physX is there main GPU is not nvidia, I wouldnt be surprised if nvidia find a way to make the performance of their GPU's crappy on this in comparison to an nforce SLI chipset.

Associate
The thing is judging from how Nvidia disables physX is there main GPU is not nvidia, I wouldnt be surprised if nvidia find a way to make the performance of their GPU's crappy on this in comparison to an nforce SLI chipset.

And what nForce SLI chipset would that be?

Nvidia don't make chipsets for 1156 or 1366 cpu's there is no point to them doing that. As they have also said that no plans to do so until at least after the Intel/Nvidia dispute is settled in court they really have no incentive to do so. No garauntee that will win either and so introduce an nForce SLI for DMI or QPI CPU's.

Associate
I made the comment before reading about their decision to not do anymore nforce until their dispute with Intel is settled.

But they would be mad to not want to get back doing nforce as soon as possible especially since thats the only current way to do nvidia SLI.

But if this new msi big bang is any good then either they see that as an opportunity to compete on a level playing field, or they become disgruntled and find a way to make multi nvidia gfx cards near useless on this. I think it will be the latter judging from their last move with physX.

Associate
I made the comment before reading about their decision to not do anymore nforce until their dispute with Intel is settled.

But they would be mad to not want to get back doing nforce as soon as possible especially since thats the only current way to do nvidia SLI.

But if this new msi big bang is any good then either they see that as an opportunity to compete on a level playing field, or they become disgruntled and find a way to make multi nvidia gfx cards near useless on this. I think it will be the latter judging from their last move with physX.

Sorry to do this again however most P55 and x58 based boards other then the entry level boards have official SLI capability. ie Asus LE and Gigabyte UD3/UD3R on P55. With the x58 then with BIOS updates then pretty much all of them have SLI capability.

As the system still has to load an Nvidia and ATI Driver there is still scope for Nvidia to place restrictions in here though.

Associate
OK, guys.
BIG BANG project has been launched. Site works.. but there are 2 mobos there: Trinergy and Fuzion. Trinergy is simple P55 + nForce 200 giving us SLI/CF x16x16x0 or x16x8x8 and is NOT what we were waiting for. Just some "whole filler".
Second mobo - Fuzion - is equipped with Lucid Hydra 200 chip. It's the clue. But it seems like MSI got delay until Q1 2010, so the first term 29.10.2009 is not valid anymore. Quite good that boys from MSI didn't delete the time counter, so we can check their "credibility" now and see how long does it take to move project into market:

http://event.msi.com/mb/bigbang2/

Soldato
I think this is going to work pretty well - so long as you are using cards from the same generation. They've already put the nVidia/ATI mix & match on the backburner (and may be quietly forgotten), and I think people expecting it to run trouble free with cards from different generations are in for a bit of a let down.

Associate
It could mean end of high-end nForce chipsets (SLI) and big troubles for nVidia (as well as their financial condition, HD5xxx series competition and 'no cheaper GPUs' policy), will see in 3 weeks how powerful this technology is. So far there are no tests (NDA ?), just Anandtech's leaks...

lol at this.....

Dont Nvidia make profit and ati/AMd lose millions every year?

Associate
A lot of questions raised about this new system of doing things. PR department is gonna have to work hard to sell this item and quell fears at the same time without bogging themselves down in too much technical speak.
Still it's a very interesting bit of news, and it'll be fascinating to learn what advantages this gives over normal SLI or crossfire... i.e. taking advantage of both cards technical advantages?

Back
Top Bottom