MSI Gaming Pro Max Help

Associate
Okay so I'm struggling here. I've built a few rigs over the years and was very excited to finally upgrade from my overclocked i7-2600k to a Ryzen 9 3900. Partly prompted by a great deal on the cpu and mobo from a retailer here in the UK.

So my bundle arrived two days ago, got it all setup with new DDR4 ram, new nvme drive and shifted over my psu and gpu (Palit 1070). All went well for the first 48 hours but tonight the rig has refused to boot despite me using it all day today. I remember shutting it down so it hasn't crashed so to speak just refusing to boot.... Kind of.

On boot the fans start up, the cpu cooler starts up, the gpu fans start up. I see the cpu error light come on for 6s then turn off, assuming it boots and the monitor is seeing power, as it switches source, then nothing, no bios, no text, nothing. You can leave the rig in this state indefinitely it seems but the gpu fans do stop after a short while. USB components, such as mouse and keyboard don't illuminate or seem to function - although strangely the mouse has one led that flickers before turning off....

So far I have tried the following:

- Mobo reset via button
- Mobo reset via battery removal for five minutes
- Unplug all usb / sata components
- Alternative monitor
- Alternative gpu output
- Remove all but one stick of ram, alternate remaining stick of ram
- Use different brand of ram
- Use different gpu
- Use different psu

Components are - MSI x470 Gaming Pro Max, Ryzen 9 3900, 32gb (4x8gb) HyperX Fury 3200mhz, WD_Black SN750, Palit 1070 8gb

All are showing the same issue and I'm slowly losing the will... I'm dreading the thought of a return but can't think of much else to try

Soldato
I would try updating the bios with bios flashback and see if that fixes things.

If that doesn't work then try reseating the CPU cooler.

Soldato
my gigabyte x570 did very similar when i first got it
try removing bios battery for no less than 10 minutes
less than 10 minutes didnt work for me
can also try this used to have an asus board this worked on
unplug from wall
unplug 24 pin
press on/off button a few times
reconnect 24 pin and turn on hopefully

Associate
OP
my gigabyte x570 did very similar when i first got it
try removing bios battery for no less than 10 minutes
less than 10 minutes didnt work for me
can also try this used to have an asus board this worked on
unplug from wall
unplug 24 pin
press on/off button a few times
reconnect 24 pin and turn on hopefully

I've just disconnected the battery and will leave it for half an hour to see if that works! Tried 5 yesterday but maybe it wasn't enough.

Associate
OP
yeah i tried a few minutes
tried everything i could think of
was about to pack it up for RMA and took it out for
longer as a last desperate resort
its worked perfectly ever since

Anddddd that looks like a no. Its odd as the monitor comes on so it detects it all starting and then displays a no input error.

Booted without usb devices in but checked if they'd get power and nothing. Still no error lights on the motherboard either.

Looks like it's going to have to go back

Soldato
Anddddd that looks like a no. Its odd as the monitor comes on so it detects it all starting and then displays a no input error.

Booted without usb devices in but checked if they'd get power and nothing. Still no error lights on the motherboard either.

Looks like it's going to have to go back
sometimes you can only try so much
but have to rma even though its a pita

Soldato
Try removing the Reset Switch from the front panel wires.

Seen reports of this fixing boot/post issues.

It's not guaranteed to work but worth a shot.

Associate
OP
Try removing the Reset Switch from the front panel wires.

Seen reports of this fixing boot/post issues.

It's not guaranteed to work but worth a shot.

Thanks for the suggestion but don't even have a reset switch connected. Try disconnecting everything other than the power switch and no luck!

Associate
OP
So I thought I would update you all and maybe useful for anyone troubleshooting in the future!

The retailer finally came back to me with the following image;

rub7Q68.png

They are now trying to accuse me of causing this damage - an issue most commonly caused by an overtightened cooler / CPU from what I'm reading.... currently in dispute with them, their argument is that it worked at testing when they dispatched.... in the same way that it worked for me for 48 hours! The heat and use of the PC must have caused the issue to amplify would be my assumption but I specifically didn't touch the CPU because we were advised it would void the warranty!

Ongoing discussions with them and MSI but will certainly not be buying from these guys in the future - if anyone wants to know the retailer, they are UK based, feel free to PM.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom