MSI GE66 Raider or Lenovo Legion 7i

Soldato
Hey there,

So I’m currently looking into replacing my desktop machine with a laptop. Reason being, I have two kids under 2 years and outside work it’s difficult to make use of a desktop.

I will need to use the machine for both work during the day (Sofware Development) when I will have it hooked up to an external monitor and keyboard, and in my own time (likely sat in the living room) I plan to use it on my knee for Gaming.

Prior to my desktop (spec in sig) I had an Asus G751JY laptop that had a 980m graphics card. This was top spec at the time, and although it was big and heavy, it ran very quietly even when pushed which was ideal and I was able to use it in shared spaces around the home without disturbing others.

It appears that laptops, including gaming laptops, have slimmed down quite a bit since I had the G751JY and as a result are more portable but also noiser.

Because of this, I have rulled out some of the slimmest models available in an effort to keep the fan noise down and considering that the machine will only be used around the house.

The models I am currently looking at are the:

MSI GE66 Raider w/ the RTX 2070 (Max-P)
and,
Lenovo Legion 7i w/ the RTX 2070 Super (Max-Q)

Both of these models retail for around £1,900.00.

The games that I mostly play are Factorio, World of Warcraft, and Overwatch, which are not the most demaning of games. However I also on occasion play Assassin's Creed: Odessey, GTA Online and Red Dead Redemption, however I am willing to turn down setting to play more demanding games such as these.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the above two models, either positive or negative, or can suggest any other models that may suit my needs.

I have pretty much rulled out the Omen series as I previewed one and was not satisfied with the build quality of the machine, despite these being one of the the best bang for buck machines as far as specs are concerned.

Thanks,

Kohaashi

Last edited:
Soldato
I have the Legion 7i with 8 core 10875 and RTX 2070 and it is superb. It’s an all metal build and build quality is fantastic. The screen is stunning 144Hz 500 nits with HDR & Dolby Vision, %100 RGB. It’s pretty much the best non Apple laptop screen I have used tbh. Assassins creed odyssey runs very well. The 2070 uses Nvidia new power shift tech so it can have 105W at times so although it’s a max Q it runs almost as good as a non max Q model.

The only downside is all the RGB lights are controlled by a separate Corsair chip which means on power on it defaults to a rainbow spin effect. You can immediately stop it by using function & space or it changes to what you have set once windows loads. There is not yet a way to permanently set something in the bios.

Other than that it’s a fantastic laptop. I paid a lot less for mine by getting the 2070 rather than a super but so far I have not found anything that does not run very well.

Soldato
OP
Thanks @MOOGLEYS

I appreciate your comments.

Are you able to comment on the fan noise during light tasks and gaming? Is there any coil whine on your unit?

I appreciate there will be some fan noise whilst gaming, but how is it and how does the system perform on silent and balanced modes?

With the majority of the games I play being less demanding titles I’m hoping I can get away with using the laptop is silent mode the majority of the time without much of a noticeable impact on performance.

Finally, did you consider any other brands/ models and what was it that swayed you into getting the Legion 7i?

Thanks.

Soldato
Fan noise is ok at idle and normal windows tasks its pretty much silent. If you select silent mode it is quite all the time. I leave mine in balanced mode and the noise is not an issue it only spins the fans up if doing something intensive and even then its not loud at all. Whilst gaming it makes some noise but nowhere near as much as other similar laptops its also not an annoying whiny noise. You can set it into Hybrid mode which uses the intel graphics for less intense tasks and switches to the Nvidia gpu when under load. You loose G-Sync doing this though. You can select which you prefer in the Lenovo softwawre and it applies after a restart. If using battery hybrid mode gives considerably better battery life.

I have a few laptops and the Legion 7i is by far the nicest one. This one is likely to be a keeper which tbh i was not thinking it would be being an intel system. Its easily as fast as the Dell G5 4800H i had without all the thermal issues. The 2070 is considerably better than the RX 5600.

I have always like the Legion laptops and had the previous version which the kids now have. This is my first 7 series and im very happy I splashed out a bit more to get it the build and general quality is superb.

Last edited:
Soldato
He seems to have issues with cooling and throttling not sure if his machine is pre production or a review unit as I don’t get it on mine. My cpu is the 8 core i7 and it sits at around 85c under max load with the 2070 running as well. If I enable high performance mode it’s around 80c.
You can also unlock the advanced bios which enables overclocking and under volting and just about any other setting you would want. With -100mv undervolt applied my cpu sits under 80c most of the time with occasional spikes to 85c.

Strange he seems to have higher temps and issues with the lower spec 6 core cpu. I don’t get it on my 8 core version. I also have the RTX 2070 not 2080 super but he does mention cpu only loads..... Weird.. ??

Last edited:
Associate
which Omen did you rule out? the 2019 model is fine, nothing wrong with build quality and the cooling is as good as you will get for a RTX 2070 fix - no issues with mine.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
which Omen did you rule out? the 2019 model is fine, nothing wrong with build quality and the cooling is as good as you will get for a RTX 2070 fix - no issues with mine.

The most notable issue people talk about is the fan noise at idle being intrusive, so if you're sensitive to a constant fan then it's not ideal.

Associate
The most notable issue people talk about is the fan noise at idle being intrusive, so if you're sensitive to a constant fan then it's not ideal.

No issue here with fan noise, and if you are getting a RTX 2070 machine you wont get one that's as quiet as a Thinkpad...

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
No issue here with fan noise, and if you are getting a RTX 2070 machine you wont get one that's as quiet as a Thinkpad...

This is my biggest issue really, when doing office based tasks I don't think it's unreasonable for a laptop to be quiet, or even dead silent. During heavy workloads and games, by all means, ramp those fans up, but not when I'm reading a PDF or replying to an email.

Soldato
My 7i is silent during general use and tbh not that loud when gaming. It’s considerably quieter than my Y540 and MSi Bravo under load but these are also quite under normal use. My Dell was noisy under any use tbh.....

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Despite D2D’s recent negative review of the Legion 7i, I’m still considering it as it seems to have everything I’m after.

I’ve also been considering some more expensive options such as the Aero 15, although from what I can tell the fans on this are apparently louder than the 7i which puts me off.

My main priorities would probably be as follows, and in this order :
- Low fan noise
- Build quality
- Display
- Performance.

Still searching for now.

Last edited:
Soldato
It’s strange what D2D had with his 7i also the same on his review unit. He did have the top end GPU but only the 6 core i7. Maybe that config causes temperature fluctuations but he even mentions a CPU only load so I’m not sure. With my i7 10875 8 core my temps spike at first up to around 90c with the initial boost then level off at 80-85c with around 4ghz on all cores.

His findings don’t seem to tally up with other reviews although most others have an 8 core cpu. Maybe it’s issues with the 6 core cpu. I cannot really think of anything else tbh....

If you want anything trying with the 7i let me know.....

Last edited:
Associate
Apologies for barging in on the conversation, I was looking at the 7i also and saw D2Ds review which put me off a little but then there are yourselves who are using it saying its fine.

Do you know if there is a 2080 maxq version. I remember seeing a review for one with the 2080 but that was a US unit and it seems the UK stops at 2070. Is it just a case of waiting for a 2080 or is Europe not getting this version?

Soldato
OP
Apologies for barging in on the conversation, I was looking at the 7i also and saw D2Ds review which put me off a little but then there are yourselves who are using it saying its fine.

Do you know if there is a 2080 maxq version. I remember seeing a review for one with the 2080 but that was a US unit and it seems the UK stops at 2070. Is it just a case of waiting for a 2080 or is Europe not getting this version?

There is a UK online retailer that sells the 2080S for £2200.00

I can’t say who as they are probably classed as a competitor to OcUK.

Soldato

Not sure if UK are getting the vanilla 2080 might just be the 2080 Super Max Q.

Soldato
It’s not just D2D though.
https://youtu.be/6zU5X-OZwKc

Strange he has the same spec 7i as me but my temps on both CPU and GPU are at least 10c lower than his ?? He also seems to average 3.6ghz whereas I’m getting nearer 4ghz sustained.... Strange...

Just been playing some Shadow Warrior 2 1080p max settings and the CPU was around 80c and GPU 72c whilst playing as reported by Afterburner. No undervolt and system in balanced mode.

Maybe the American units are duff..... lol... I wonder if the newer bios has fixed thermal issues ? I upgraded to the latest as soon as I set it up so have no experience of the previous bios ?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
So I’ve gone and ordered the GE66 Raider w/ the 2070.

I could have decided with a coin toss between the two, but in the end I figured that I preferred the TKL layout of the GE66 keyboard over the 7i.

I’ve ordered from somewhere with a good returns policy so if it’s not great then I may end up getting the 7i instead.

Back
Top Bottom