• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Associate
So i recently recieved my MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ventus 3X OC and i'm getting crashing problems with it. So basically when im in game within the first few seconds of playing it crashes (not Blue screen crashes out of the game) and i believe the problem is the factory overclock is too high, as the core clock speed boosts all the way up to 2010Mhz in game and as soon as it reaches that speed it crashes. It does this in all games. The only way i can fix this problem is by downclocking the core clock in msi after burner. Another thing that is strange is that MSI stated that the normal clock speed is 1440Mhz but it never goes that low even in idle, and the boost clock is 1740Mhz and that is the speed it sits at in idle. But as soon as you go in game its starts overclocking itself upwards towards 2010Mhz and crashes itself. I use no auto overclocking software of any kind, and haven't tried to overclock it once. the only thing i have done is downclock it to make it actully work in game. i am also using all the lastest Nvidia Drivers. Anyone have any ideas ?

GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ventus 3X OC
CPU : i7 8700k Delid 5ghz
MOBO: msi z370 pc pro
corsair 2400mhz ddr4
PSU: tx750m
Driver: 456.38
Driver type: DCH

Last edited:
Associate
Hi, If you have the Dragon Centre software installed, try uninstalling that. Do you have the 8 pin power daisy chained off one cable? (check that).

And of course make sure latest driver is installed (456.38) @ tow

Associate
You could try disabling RTX voice from the system tray (right click and exit). I have found that this locks the card mem to max speed available and the clock to base speed and has cause me some stability issues with MS2020 (currently using RTX 2070).

Soldato
So i recently recieved my MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ventus 3X OC and i'm getting crashing problems with it. So basically when im in game within the first few seconds of playing it crashes and i believe the problem is the factory overclock is too high, as the core clock speed boosts all the way up to 2010Mhz in game and as soon as it reaches that speed it crashes. It does this in all games. The only way i can fix this problem is by downclocking the core clock in msi after burner. Another thing that is strange is that MSI stated that the normal clock speed is 1440Mhz but it never goes that low even in idle, and the boost clock is 1740Mhz and that is the speed it sits at in idle. But as soon as you go in game its starts overclocking itself upwards towards 2010Mhz and crashes itself. I use no auto overclocking software of any kind, and haven't tried to overclock it once. the only thing i have done is downclock it to make it actully work in game. i am also using all the lastest Nvidia Drivers. Anyone have any ideas ?
What PSU do you have and how old?

Associate
OP
Hi i tried it both with and without the dragon center software installed, no difference. sorry i don't get what you mean by daisy chained off one cable. i have a two 6+2 pin pcie connections coming straight from the PSU with one cable

Associate
OP
You could try disabling RTX voice from the system tray (right click and exit). I have found that this locks the card mem to max speed available and the clock to base speed and has cause me some stability issues with MS2020 (currently using RTX 2070).
i don't seem to see rtx voice in the sytem tray. the only programs from nvidia in the tray is the usual control panel and geforce experience

Associate
OP
i tried it both with and without the dragon center software installed, no difference. sorry i don't get what you mean by daisy chained off one cable. i have a two 6+2 pin pcie connections coming straight from the PSU with one cable

Associate
Hi i tried it both with and without the dragon center software installed, no difference. sorry i don't get what you mean by daisy chained off one cable. i have a two 6+2 pin pcie connections coming straight from the PSU with one cable
thats a daisy chain! try using 2 6+2pin cables from PSU. another thing you could check if your card supports it is the status LED's on back plate near where the cables plug in. Good Luck man.

Associate
OP
So i tried it with two seperate pcie connections and still the same problem. when it hits 2010Mhz clock it crashes out of the game. i have a feeling the factory overclock is too high or wrong

Back
Top Bottom