• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Associate
So I'm not sure if it makes a difference for those saying they have the ventus 3x vs those that have the Ventus 3x OC, but I have an OC version and I am getting the crashes as well with games like witcher 3 and AC Odyssey. I found a reddit post that someone mentioned they tried different clockspeeds on the MSI Afterburner. I got it to work at -50. Alex try that and let me know how that works for you. It made me lose some frames but ultimately games don't crash on me. Not sure why the OC breaks it but I Hope MSI comes out with a fix, or Nvidia comes up with a driver that helps.

Soldato
So I'm not sure if it makes a difference for those saying they have the ventus 3x vs those that have the Ventus 3x OC, but I have an OC version and I am getting the crashes as well with games like witcher 3 and AC Odyssey. I found a reddit post that someone mentioned they tried different clockspeeds on the MSI Afterburner. I got it to work at -50. Alex try that and let me know how that works for you. It made me lose some frames but ultimately games don't crash on me. Not sure why the OC breaks it but I Hope MSI comes out with a fix, or Nvidia comes up with a driver that helps.

I think the bios just needs updating, it's clear their overclock is fine, but the cart is operating at much higher clocks, they just need to knock the offset down in bios.

Associate
Had a fiddle with afterburner and mine is the same, shooting up to 2010Mhz. Limited it back down to 1740 and it runs perfectly now.

Hopefully this is just a bios issue and MSI roll out an update shortly.

Associate
Wouldn't undervolting slightly fix the issue as it wouldn't be hitting the power limit constantly? Should be able to keep the high boost clocks this way.

Soldato
I have just watched a youtuber having the same issue on a gaming X trio with Warzone and Metro.
He didn't try downclocking, but it seems certain games may be not fond of the higher boost clocks.
It may be a game thing, a driver thing or a bios thing, At his stage these cards are in their infancy so I guess we have to wait for some fixes.

I don't have those games to try, I have spent a fair amount of time running various benches of the games and benchmarks I have and a couple of hours in flight sim 2020 with no CTDs.

IDK if you can undervolt in AB ... mine is locked out, I tried adding them in the config file as a google suggested, but still locked off :rolleyes:

Soldato
I have just watched a youtuber having the same issue on a gaming X trio with Warzone and Metro.
He didn't try downclocking, but it seems certain games may be not fond of the higher boost clocks.
It may be a game thing, a driver thing or a bios thing, At his stage these cards are in their infancy so I guess we have to wait for some fixes.

I don't have those games to try, I have spent a fair amount of time running various benches of the games and benchmarks I have and a couple of hours in flight sim 2020 with no CTDs.

IDK if you can undervolt in AB ... mine is locked out, I tried adding them in the config file as a google suggested, but still locked off :rolleyes:
Just need to go settings > general > tick unlock voltage control then on the main screen hit CTR +F.

Soldato
OK .... Just out of curiosity, I manually backed the card core off by -50 mhz and ran the port royal benchmark.
I scored my best score to date, and the average core clock was higher !

Soldato
OK .... Just out of curiosity, I manually backed the card core off by -50 mhz and ran the port royal benchmark.
I scored my best score to date, and the average core clock was higher !
Probably due to it not bouncing off the power limit.

Associate
Had a fiddle with afterburner and mine is the same, shooting up to 2010Mhz. Limited it back down to 1740 and it runs perfectly now.

Hopefully this is just a bios issue and MSI roll out an update shortly.

I'm not sure on how fast MSI works with new products and patching/fixes, but I hope it's sooner rather than later. It's hard to find quality issues with such a small test group. You know with with so few 3080's out there.

Associate
I'm not sure on how fast MSI works with new products and patching/fixes, but I hope it's sooner rather than later. It's hard to find quality issues with such a small test group. You know with with so few 3080's out there.

Yea the fact it seems a mostly common issue with those few who do have that card seems to indicate needs sorted.

On the bright side now I know what I'm doing (I thought it wasn't supposed to go above 1740Mhz at all oops..) I reduced the downclock and set it to apply on startup with MSI afterburner so everything seems good now :)

Soldato
I am actually downloading (slowly) Warzone whatsit to see how it goes, not that I can play fast paced shooters at all well !
Will try stock, then with my newly experimental voltage reduction map that still lets the card clock up to 1950 max, and if those fail, a manual downclock :eek:

Soldato
Just been messing about with afterburner and time spy as my internet is still down and I've got up to 18213 graphics score which seems pretty good for a 320w limited card.

Soldato
GDI !
Having jumped through 20 hoops to actuall be allowed to play the stupid war game, it now is stuck spinning on registering for activision despite having been done in the blizzard account ... Grr talk about frustrating extraneous BS !

Associate
The only winning move is not to play.

the-only-winning-move-is-not-to-play-768x455.png

Soldato
Ha !
Well after i jumped all the hoops, straight in with card stock and untouched, no issues :)

(apart from being shown up by my youngest son) :o

Back
Top Bottom