• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Soldato
This does seem to me that there was a lack of testing before these cards were released.
With the lack of overclocking headroom on these cards and the sheer brute force power usage it's quite clear they pushed it a bit too close to the edge of stability to get this level of performance. Shipping with stability issues out of the box is unforgivable but unsurprising.

Soldato
What could also be happening here is the lack of binning.

the 3080 cards released so far are not using binned dies - so unless the manufacturers do their own binning, they may be pushing the boost clock settings a bit high.

the other thing that can be an issue is igors lab said the GDDR6x modules run very very hot so need really good cooling, maybe some of these AIB cards just can't cool the Memory well enough.

People are complaining about MSI cards crashing and reviews show their cooling is worse than the Asus TUF - has anyone with a TUF has crashing?

Soldato

the 3080 cards released so far are not using binned dies - so unless the manufacturers do their own binning, they may be pushing the boost clock settings a bit high.

the other thing that can be an issue is igors lab said the GDDR6x modules run very very hot so need really good cooling, maybe some of these AIB cards just can't cool the Memory well enough.

People are complaining about MSI cards crashing and reviews show their cooling is worse than the Asus TUF - has anyone with a TUF has crashing?

My original concern with the Ventus (and also the gaming x trio) is there's no real holes in the backplate apart from where the chip is whereas pretty much everyone else went with holes to allow air to flow through. Anyhow mine is arriving tomorrow so I guess I will be able to check it out myself.

Soldato
So its supposed to boost to only 1740 but seems to be going over 2000?
Is that normal or an error?

Because that's how Nvidia Boost works, its perfectly normal. Nvidia chips automatically clock higher than the stock specs by default to gain more performance, as long as certain temp and power limits are maintained. Limits and curves set by Nvidia and the manufacturers vbios.

What seems to be happening here is that Msi haven't tuned the vbios limits correctly, and its boosting to a point of instability. Hence manually downclocking the curve by 50Mhz is enough to keep stability and performance where its supposed to be. No doubt Msi will release a vbios update.

Soldato

running a +900 mem OC on my card and its fine, sits at about 70c with fans at 70%.

Soldato
So its supposed to boost to only 1740 but seems to be going over 2000?
Is that normal or an error?

That's how boost works, it has a base clock and a boost clock but if there are power and thermal overhead then it will boost far in advance of what the official boost clock is. But not to the point of it becoming unstable. Something is early wrong in this case and possibly the silicon selected for this card hasn't been properly binned and the stock bios is pushing card too hard causing instability.

Soldato
running a +900 mem OC on my card and its fine, sits at about 70c with fans at 70%.

what card and what software for measuring memory temperature? You made need to use an infrared thermometer to get an accurate reading unless the card has special sensors near or on the memory

Soldato
what card and what software for measuring memory temperature? You made need to use an infrared thermometer to get an accurate reading unless the card has special sensors near or on the memory
3080 ventus OC, the 70c is just the card temp so not sure why that's bad, if I crank fans to 100% it runs in the 50s.

Soldato

Thats a high fan speed to temp ratio ! My Gaming X Trio with a manual/profile set up will run at 64 deg with 60% fan speed.

Worried about the X Trio now :(

Don't be, mine is working fine.

My original concern with the Ventus (and also the gaming x trio) is there's no real holes in the backplate apart from where the chip is whereas pretty much everyone else went with holes to allow air to flow through. Anyhow mine is arriving tomorrow so I guess I will be able to check it out myself.

If your case has good airflow thats not an issue, TBH I would rather that than blow hot air directly onto my ram.

The Tuf, once fan noise and everything else is equalised, runs around 5 degrees cooler yes, The X Trio is very very quiet at stock, mine doesn't even spin the fans above 48% if left to its own devices.
The Ventus has a less hefty heatsink and slightly different fans which obviously are not as efficient.

I wanna order tommorow 3090 but worried about that issues. Should i risk? What brand to choose?

If you really are prepared to pay double for 15% more performance, then At current pricing levels go for an Asus TUF. The 3080 is proven a good cooler and the 3090 will likely run a bit hotter. But TBH my advice would be save yourself the money and get a 3080 :)

Soldato
Because that's how Nvidia Boost works, its perfectly normal. Nvidia chips automatically clock higher than the stock specs by default to gain more performance, as long as certain temp and power limits are maintained. Limits and curves set by Nvidia and the manufacturers vbios.

What seems to be happening here is that Msi haven't tuned the vbios limits correctly, and its boosting to a point of instability. Hence manually downclocking the curve by 50Mhz is enough to keep stability and performance where its supposed to be. No doubt Msi will release a vbios update.

This ;)

Back
Top Bottom