• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Soldato
Hello all,

Please, all those that are having (or had) problems with the card can make a photo of the back, just to see the capacitors. And those that are not having issues aswell?

What I saw is that in lot of websites the card with 6 SP-CAP and in others (youtoube videos too) cards with 5 SP-CAP and 1 MLCC. This last one seems to be fine.

Thanks all of you!

No pic but mine is also 1 MLCC block and 5 SP-CAPs.
No crashes at stock, only when trying for an overclock or too much undervolt.
Several hours of gaming and benching at stock since last weekend with 0 issues.
I even downloaded warzone (not something I normally play) as that was known to be a game that crashed some cards, all played fine.

Associate
Got the MSI 3080 Gaming X trio here, has the 5 sp and 1 MLCC block. So far I haven't encountered any issues with regards to crashes etc. My card generally spikes to 2010mhz but I even pushed on an extra +30mhz to see if there were any issues and nothing, it was stable between 2010-2040mhz. My temps never really exceeded 65c I will add but I have a custom curve from my previous 1080 which works well for this card.

I have tried with (Max settings) : No Man's Sky, Modern Warfare SP, MP and Warzone, Destiny 2, Forza Horizon 4, Halo MCC (ODST + 2), Assassins Creed Origins, Microsoft Flight Simulator. All these are at the max settings 1440p 144hz monitor, apart from the odd stall in MSFS which is a demanding game anyway, I haven't seen any instability issues.

For reference I have a 9700k @ 4.8ghz, Corsair RM850x PSU. Anything else just ask :)

Associate
MSI uploaded an install guide for the Ventus, the model in the video has the 6 SP Caps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxyuKJ1_XmA

Thic confirms that it's not just a render in the initial product page showing the 6.
Since the page and retail models are 5 + 1 MLCC, it pretty much verifies the design was corrected after an initial production run since actual hardware had the 6.

Regardless of the complexities in power delivery, they changed the manufacturing of the cards as with other AIB's.

Could this have contributed to the shockingly low inventory?

Soldato
MSI uploaded an install guide for the Ventus, the model in the video has the 6 SP Caps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxyuKJ1_XmA

Thic confirms that it's not just a render in the initial product page showing the 6.
Since the page and retail models are 5 + 1 MLCC, it pretty much verifies the design was corrected after an initial production run since actual hardware had the 6.

Regardless of the complexities in power delivery, they changed the manufacturing of the cards as with other AIB's.

Could this have contributed to the shockingly low inventory?

Due to the lack of info from Nvidia, these AIBs had to design their cards on paper and then when the dies came in, had to rush to make the cards only to find they were unstable using the recommended spec. They then quickly changed the power delivery and rushed the cards out the door for launch not having time for proper testing.

That's what I think has happened. Nvidia has keep too much info hidden to the point where the AIBs had real trouble making workable cards in time for launch.

And they aren't the only ones who got bad data, EKWB had to re design it's blocks because it got bad data from Nvidia

Soldato
Third day with MSI Ventus OC. No crash whatsoever.

out of interest, overclock it at 15mhz increments to see at what speed it starts crashing. People with this card say it crashes at 2000mhz so I'm keen to see what clock speeds yours crashes at

Soldato
I am doing some relatively thorough testing to come up with my longer term voltage and fan curve and overclock with this card. It seems 0.875v is the highest voltage where the card doesn't hit any power limits.

Been using 1800mhz at 0.875v with 1700rpm on fans all day. It seems to sustain boost at 1815-1830mhz when using it. Totally stable. Completed 5 hours of Unigine Heaven at 4k extreme on loop and gaming all night in 4k HDR with RT Ultra and DLSS in BF5 without any crashes.

Going to test higher clocks. 1860mhz @ 0.875v doesn't work but will now be trying 1815mhz.

Not certain the obsession with max clock, the sustained clock under full load is what matters in the end.

Soldato
By the way this is how the card behaves using the 1800mhz at 0.875v and 1700rpm on the fans in bf5 4k HDR ultra RT on dlss on.

It runs stable, cool and quiet. Going to try push the clocks slightly higher. I think I may have success at 1830mhz.

Associate
What is your max clock speed please ?
Gaming, it stays 1860 - 1950/70. However I have seen spikes of over 2.000, not very often.

out of interest, overclock it at 15mhz increments to see at what speed it starts crashing. People with this card say it crashes at 2000mhz so I'm keen to see what clock speeds yours crashes at

I am at work now, but I can do the test tonight. However if this indeed crashes over 2.000, i think the problem is the cards are boosting more than should and crashing, an Auto OC. At least is the way I see things. Not mentioning the Ventus says the boost is 1750mhz. Never understood this boost numbers on the box if the cards always boost much more.

Associate
If you guys want to see:

https://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/23616145/fs/23616281#

+50 didn't crash, +100 crash. The difference performance is close to nothing. So I will happily leave on stock 100%.
I could play with voltage, etc. But really, there is no point. I am locking at 100fps anyway due to my monitor hz/gsync. Playing COD at 3440x1440 everything maxed out, Ray tracing enabled and the card still resting ehehe.

Associate
Well, I have a MSI rtx 3080 Gaming X trio here (5 sp and 1 MLCC)

Had no crashes at all (Metro Exodus, Doom Eternal, Division 2) out of the box and running 456.38 at default clock settings. However core clock OC of + 66MHz resulted in crashes after some minutes of playing with 456.38.
With 456.55 I can now OC +100MHz and all runs stable no crashes at all.... boosts up to 2070MHz.

In 10 runs of Metro Exodus Demo (RTX, 1440p) the AVG FPS difference between the two drivers at default clock speed was abour 1 - 1.5 FPS (around 87 AVG FPS)... so nothing I would call significant.
If comparing the Core Frequencies (at default clock speed) over the time of 10 runs of Metro Exodus Demo (data gathered with GPU-Z log) they look more or less congruent, with both of them boosting up to 1950.

So I guess there must be more in that driver update than decreased boost frequencies.

However the synthetical benchmarks 3DMark time spy and unigene superposition are a bit lower (some 1-2%) with 456.55.

Back
Top Bottom