MSI Motherboard owners, Fan Control?

Soldato
I've got a B450 has anyone any ideas. Can match system fans to CPU, or System or Chipset. Anyone any good settings in bios for the four temps and speeds.

In the bios > Advanced Mode (F7 if your not already in Adv. Mode) on the right of the screen there is a hidden menu that pops out when you move the mouse over to it, select hardware monitor, you can adjust all of your fan curves in there, you can select for each fan which temp you want it to ramp up and down with, ie CPU, Chipset etc, select the fan at the top of the screen you want to adjust, now on the left youll see the option to select what temp you want the fan to run with, make sure to select the smart fan tick box, adjust the curve accordingly.

As im water cooling I have all of my radiator fans connected to the CPU fan header via a basic fan controller which supplies power to the fans via an SATA connector, the CPU fan header just supplies the PWM signal side of things, im running AMD RyZen, the temps even at idle seem to jump around a bit, so I have 0oC = 42%, 60oC = 42%, this keeps my fans running at around 800rpm all the way up to 60oC on the CPU, this also keeps them completely quite, then the next step up is 70oC = 75% and then finally 80oC = 100%, works perfectly fine for me, this is just a guideline and you may have to tinker with those yourself for what suits your system best.

Soldato
@Jamin280672 any sort of baseline like temp curve and speed?

Also nothing pops up when hover mouse over. Is this on latest bios?

Which board do you have ? Does it have the click 5 bios or that horrible back to basics bios on it ?

This is what I have set as posted above: 0oC = 42%, 60oC = 42%, this keeps my fans running at around 800rpm all the way up to 60oC on the CPU, this also keeps them completely quite, then the next step up is 70oC = 75% and then finally 80oC = 100%, works perfectly fine for me, this is just a guideline and you may have to tinker with those yourself for what suits your system best.

Associate
@Jamin280672 any sort of baseline like temp curve and speed?
Which board do you have ? Does it have the click 5 bios or that horrible back to basics bios on it ?

This is what I have set as posted above: 0oC = 42%, 60oC = 42%, this keeps my fans running at around 800rpm all the way up to 60oC on the CPU, this also keeps them completely quite, then the next step up is 70oC = 75% and then finally 80oC = 100%, works perfectly fine for me, this is just a guideline and you may have to tinker with those yourself for what suits your system best.

I'm guessing the back to basic board haha.. B450 pro carbon lol

Soldato
If you have the GS Lite Click bios as per this video, then watch the video on how to setup your fan curve, it basically works the same way, just not graphical like mine, so level 1-4 temp, just type in the numbers yourself, so you could do like ive done as a starting point and put 0, 60, 75, 85 for your 4 temps, and fan speed is a %, so again as a starting point you could put the same as me, 43, 43, 75, 100 and work from there, temp source to CPU, the next set down will then be for system fans etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NR_Wwi6v-4Q

If you're not running a RyZen 3000, then back flash to an older bios that still had the graphical interface, they only changed it because they couldnt fit all of the info into the 16mb bios chip on those boards, hence the release of the MAX boards, they come with a 32mb bios chip so they could keep the GUI.

Associate
iv just set my b450 pro carbon in the bios yesterday it works fine. It took a few times adjusting because the cpu spikes to 50 degrees for a second when browsing so you have to account for that.
You have to set it in the bios under hardware monitor because using the when you use msi program you have to set it each restart.

Associate
Msi b450 pro carbon fan profile
a6s0FXZ

https://imgur.com/gallery/a6s0FXZ

Soldato
Speed fan can be used to set a fan curve based on GPU temp. Although it hasn't been maintained for years and doesn't work with a lot of newer boards and GPUs.

If not, try Argus Monitor.

Associate
Gents, I have a B450M and have followed the instructions to access the fans via hardware monitor. I can see all the settings and am reading what the settings are on here but can’t seem to match them up. I’m a newbie and a bit unfamiliar with all the settings so basically what I’m asking for is either a screenshot showing the curves or to be explained in a way that an old thicko like me can understand haha. Sorry guys.

Associate
In the bios > Advanced Mode (F7 if your not already in Adv. Mode) on the right of the screen there is a hidden menu that pops out when you move the mouse over to it, select hardware monitor, you can adjust all of your fan curves in there, you can select for each fan which temp you want it to ramp up and down with, ie CPU, Chipset etc, select the fan at the top of the screen you want to adjust, now on the left youll see the option to select what temp you want the fan to run with, make sure to select the smart fan tick box, adjust the curve accordingly.

As im water cooling I have all of my radiator fans connected to the CPU fan header via a basic fan controller which supplies power to the fans via an SATA connector, the CPU fan header just supplies the PWM signal side of things, im running AMD RyZen, the temps even at idle seem to jump around a bit, so I have 0oC = 42%, 60oC = 42%, this keeps my fans running at around 800rpm all the way up to 60oC on the CPU, this also keeps them completely quite, then the next step up is 70oC = 75% and then finally 80oC = 100%, works perfectly fine for me, this is just a guideline and you may have to tinker with those yourself for what suits your system best.

Thanks for this Jamin, managed to get to this part where the curves can be adjusted, I’m just a bit slow. What does OOC mean? And do I adjust the 4 balls up and down? Thank you.

Soldato
OP
My system fans on my msi pro carbon matched to system temp, silent at idle and kick in as the system temp heats up

42c 100%
30c 20%
20c 20%
10c 20%

Basically flat to 30c and then ramp up anything passed 30c so it's completely silent in windows and louder and pushing plenty of air when gaming and the GPU heats the system up

The above will need tweaking based on you fans and their rpm but it's definitely the best curve I've used so far

CPU curve is very different this is for system only

Associate
My system fans on my msi pro carbon matched to system temp, silent at idle and kick in as the system temp heats up

42c 100%
30c 20%
20c 20%
10c 20%

Basically flat to 30c and then ramp up anything passed 30c so it's completely silent in windows and louder and pushing plenty of air when gaming and the GPU heats the system up

The above will need tweaking based on you fans and their rpm but it's definitely the best curve I've used so far

CPU curve is very different this is for system only

Thank you, I’ll have a bash at these settings later. Out of curiosity, why do you choose system and others choose CPU? is this based on the motherboard temperature?

Soldato
OP
Thank you, I’ll have a bash at these settings later. Out of curiosity, why do you choose system and others choose CPU? is this based on the motherboard temperature?

System fans for system temp as far as I'm concerned but each to their own, I don't like having all the fans syncing with the CPU, the way I've done it the GPU kicks in, heats up the case and the system temp then the case fans spin up to cool it down, it's also completely silent in windows.

If you want case fans matched to CPU then just use the same curve as CPU curve but they will ramp up and down with CPU and that bothers me personally

Associate
OK, so here’s what I’ve done in the end. I’ve left the CPU fan curves at the default level and ticked the box for smart fan. I only have 2 more fan headers on my mobo and 1 of them is being used by the AIO pump, which from what I’ve read, should be on 100% all the time. So I’ve daisy chained a few splitters and have 3 fans running off 1 header. I’ve changed the curve on that header to kick in when the GPU fan kicks in to keep air flowing. These fans don’t kick in until the CPU hits around 60c. Seems to be working so far and the PC is really quiet until I start playing a game. The only thing bugging me is the original fan that came with the PC has a different type of connection because it’s RGB. It will won’t connect to the splitter because it has grab pins on either side of the connector and clip at the top, right in the middle that will only connect to the front panel connector that has the correct slot. So that fan is on the same speed all the time and I have no idea if I can control the speed of it.

Soldato
Hi guys,

Rig in sig. My fans must be all over the place, I've not tweaked much apart from enabling PWM and Smart Fan Mode on all of my fans in the bios and switching to the XMP profile that runs my ram at stock.

I'm sat here now listening to my idle computer and the fans seem to be stepping up/dropping down every twenty seconds or so...

Are there any guide/videos about?

Back
Top Bottom