MSI Neo2 Platinum SATA unlocked

Soldato
what does that mean and on xtreme systems they suggest not to use the 2 ports further away from CPU. what does it mean when its unlocked?

Soldato
If you overclock the FSB (front side bus), it can corrupt any hard disc on the unlocked channels.
Can stop it booting as well.

The sata ports sit on the BUS and if that bus speed is increased the sata ports go out of spec.
For some reason, they managed to isolate 2 ports from that bus.

Soldato
OP
lol i got 3 SATA drives hmmm...any solution to this problem?

does the PCI clock gets screwed when upper the FSB too?

Last edited:
Soldato
I just knew you was gonna ask that :)

You'd prolly get away with that, but don't blame me if you don't.
May be better of testing it on a disc you can afford to corrupt as some discs can handle running out or spec better it seems.
It normally starts by hanging at boot.

Yes they seem to have locked the PCI bus.
You can adjust the AGP frequency, and I think it locks to half of that.

Soldato
OP
thanks very much for now i will play it safe and limit the FSB at 200 and HTT at x5 etc and till i get a big SATA drive to replace my Raid. then i will look into overclocking more, plus i got a bit of a rubbsih ram right now i doubt it will go pass the 220 mark anyways.

well thanks a lot. and is it true that ram slot 3&4 are not working?

Soldato
This is the best overclocking thread on the Neo2.

Think some people had probs with slots 3 and 4, but may depend on ram.
The Neo 2 is a bit different when it comes to dual channel..

color coded ram slots are different than other 939 boards. Slots 1&2 are the ones nearer to the CPU and are dual channel

Is generally the way to go.

Soldato
OP
big heatsink, ya very possible that the 1&2 will be out, but is the slot 3&4 working as duel channel or not really?

Soldato
You can see the mem config here.
Note the....
Dual-channel DDR works ONLY in the 3 combinations listed in the table shown in the previous page.
(which is the grid above)

You can see that in slots 3 and 4 it's dual channel, but some people had grief with it.

Soldato
OP
cheers lets get our fingers cross, :D shame that i dun have enuf cash for a PCI-e upgrade had to stick with the AGE card i got (which is lovely) otherwise i d went down the route of Nforce 4 ratehr nforce 3 :(

Soldato
OP
call me supersticious but i never believed in Duel format systems, they try to do both and not doing too well in either is my opinion, always have avoid those type of motherboards. but ya that *** be good if theya re any decent

Back
Top Bottom