• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

MSI R9 390 usage throttling

Associate
Hi everyone, i hope this isn't a repeat thread but i couldn't find this subject on here.

So i have an MSI R9 390 8GB Gaming. Definitely not a bad graphics card when it works correctly, however, Recently i've noticed low erratic frame rates. it runs call of duty 4 remastered at roughly 88fps but by the time i notice it has dropped to 10, 5, 1 then back up to 60 then 88 (guesstimate figures, i have no log file).

Attached are screen caps of msi afterburner graphs showing all the info i could fit on the screen.

This isnt a thermal problem as my temps are posted on afterburner and hold between 68 and 72.

I really hope there is someone out there who knows what i can do to fix it, or at least tell me straight that i need to buy a new GPU.

Thanks

http://imgur.com/28WwLel
http://imgur.com/pN0IVwu

UPDATE: I replaced the PCI-e power cable to my gpu and for the moment it looks stable-ish.
It still fluctuates when playing call of duty but the FPS doesn't drop to below 55-60 so its playable. Im not sure if that was what it needed but for now im happy with it.

Thanks for the support!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Hi and welcome to the forums. :)

Has it always done this or has it just started recently? My first thought was that maybe the vrm's are overheating but I checked a review that took the card apart and it has dedicated cooling for them so I doubt that they are the problem. Doe afterburner show the temps for the vrm's on your card? What make and model psu do you have? Actually, can you just post your complete spec please?

Soldato
Hey there and welcome to the forum! Have you changed anything recently? As has windows updated your graphics driver automatically? It tends to cause people issues when windows does this. It would be something id try. Use DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller). Unistall AMD graphics driver using booting into safe mode option. Let it remove the drivers and then download latest AMD driver and install that.

What are the rest of your system specs if you don't mind me asking.

Associate
OP
Thanks.
I've just noticed it recently but I couldn't tell you when it started exactly.

Specs:
CPU: AMD FX 8350 4.0Ghz
GPU: MSI R9 390 8gb gaming
MOBO: Asus Sabertooth 990x R.2
PSU: Corsair CS750M 80+ gold. (Upgraded from 550 two days ago, didn't help)
RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) Hyper x fury.

I was going to get a watercooler for the card because they notoriously run hot but i don't want to put money into a duff GPU.

I have DDU'd the hell out of amd drivers and re-installed all possible drivers that amd will let me and that didn't help.

I only have one system so its gonna make it near impossible to swap components to test.

Associate
OP
I replaced the PCI-e power cable to my gpu and for the moment it looks stable-ish.
It still fluctuates when playing call of duty but the FPS doesn't drop to below 55-60 so its playable. Im not sure if that was what it needed but for now im happy with it.

Thanks for the support!

Soldato
GT5 plays well on AMD hardware AFAIK and will put it under some stress. GTA5 also like a few threads too so it will put your cpu under some moderate usage.

Associate
OP
GT5 plays well on AMD hardware AFAIK and will put it under some stress. GTA5 also like a few threads too so it will put your cpu under some moderate usage.
Brilliant. Im gonna have a shot on prey and battlefield 1 to see if theres a difference. I dont have the money to throw at gta5 just for a benchtest :')

Back
Top Bottom