• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

MSI Twin Frozr 3 overheating?

Soldato
Last night my computer hard powered off (no Windows shutdown message) and kept doing it a few minutes after turning it back on.

I checked the temperatures and the only one that seemed excessive was the graphics card which was ~80C!
I opened the case and cleaned out the dust (of which there was a lot!) but when I powered it back on with the case open I noticed the rear fan on my graphics card (MSI TF3) was not spinning. Sometimes it tries to spin but struggles and stops after a few seconds.

Cleaning out the dust seemed to help for a bit (temps down to 65C and stable for a few hours) but this afternoon it started powering off again and temperatures hitting 103C!

So, is my graphics card dying? If so can anyone suggest a similar replacement that will be compatable with my system (motherboard is an MSI P67A GD65 B3 from 2011)?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Associate
Is this an HD7950?

In recent months I have had issues with two of these GPU's.

1st is still waiting for me to have a look at it, was going to try stripping it, applying new thermal compound and seeing if it stopped tearing and crashing.

Second one is now been having issues on a Windows 7 pc with driver issues n blue screens, even AMD drivers had an update related to the crashes.

But we have now installed W10 and its worse.

Associate
I now have two failed HD7950, both ran on W7 Ultimate, the latest started blue screening with infinite loop something or other and even the last AMD driver was meant to solve the issue. Now with W10 it's even worse, Repeated crashes and restarts.

Stuck in a 1050ti and it works, lad is now trying an old AMD 5750 card and no crashes. So deffinitely related to my HD7950's. Both were tearing also and getting a bit hot.

Soldato
OP
I guess it's time for a new card then.
The AMD Radeon RX 580 looks like a reasonable replacement. Both my screens are DVI so ideally I'd like a card with dual DVI but it looks like most cards are DisplayPort / HDMI these days so I guess I'll need an adaptor.

Permabanned
I guess it's time for a new card then.
The AMD Radeon RX 580 looks like a reasonable replacement. Both my screens are DVI so ideally I'd like a card with dual DVI but it looks like most cards are DisplayPort / HDMI these days so I guess I'll need an adaptor.

To be fair its an 8 year old card so its had good use but this kind of thing is never nice.

Soldato
OP
At least tell me it went out playing Metro Exodus @4k in a blaze of glory and not minecraft @480p? Hahaha

It was a 480p film :D

I purchased a new GPU but when I tried to install it there was no video signal so I updated my BIOS to try and fix it. Unfortunately, even though it said it was successful, my system now won't even POST, its just power cycles until I unplug it. I'm guessing the BIOS is bricked, seems to be a common issue with this MSI motherboard :(.

Looks like I'm going to have to replace the motherboard, might as well use this as an opportunity to upgrade the motherboard & CPU.

Back
Top Bottom