Associate
Hi guys,

I just need a bit of assistance with my new Ryzen build. After first boot up with my Motherboard I updated the BIOS via Live Update which bricked the Motherboard. But I've heard this is a known issue that MSI & Overclockers both know about etc. So I was issued a replacement. That arrive earlier on today and I got it all set up and in my build nice and easily but this time updated via M-Flash and the latest BIOS went on nicely. After this however I went to insert my M.2. but when rebooting the machine into BIOS to set boot priority I realised the CMOS battery was dead as it was a new board. I did however see the M.2. There as an option. But after I changed the battery I rebooted and went to set the boot priority but the M.2. simply vanished? I rebooted multiple times and it just isn't there at all. I also tried using the M2_2 slot but exactly the same issue. Could this be due to a faulty Samsung 960 Evo or is this something out of the blue? I've issued for an exchange which is coming tomorrow so I'll try it with a new one and hopefully I don't have the same problem. Any tips?

Soldato
Did you reset BIOS settings to optimal defaults after updating and changing the battery? Does a Windows install see the M2 drive and allow you to install Windows to it? If not, you could try to clear the CMOS by moving a jumper on your board, see the manual.

I am surprised the battery was dead on a new board. Did you get your replacement and did it resolve the issue?

Soldato
Can't help, just want to say my one big gripe with MSI motherboards is that they still haven't removed BIOS updating from Live Update. I honestly don't know what they are thinking and why they think it's better to leave it in despite all the bricking when using it. Some software on other boards of other brands can be a pain too, causing issues and difficult to uninstall completely, but at least they don't brick your board.

Hope you get it sorted.

Associate
OP
I eventually sorted it all after receiving the replacement, also had to get a new M.2. As bricking the board also took out the M.2. Drive and I updated to the new bios via M-Flash and loaded the operating system onto the drive and after that it was all fine. So can now actually use my computer but the only thing I'm not happy about is how they haven't released a 3000mhz compatibility with the board yet for the Corsair Vengeance 3000mhz I have to run it as something stupid like 2667 so I hope that gets sorted eventually too! I suppose that's the issue of getting newly released components but overall I'm happy with it!

Back
Top Bottom