MSN vs Skype vs ???

Soldato
Skype's audio quality is trash.

Compared to something like Ventrillo or TS3 it's terrible. No matter what I do Skype ALWAYS has background hissing, sometimes it gets worse and worse until you drop and remake the call.

Add to that the fact you cannot force ports with Skype for forwarding and/or QoS/Shaping because it routes through other people as peers and all in all it's a pretty bloated not so great piece of software.

Caporegime
Skype's audio quality is trash.

Compared to something like Ventrillo or TS3 it's terrible. No matter what I do Skype ALWAYS has background hissing, sometimes it gets worse and worse until you drop and remake the call.

Add to that the fact you cannot force ports with Skype for forwarding and/or QoS/Shaping because it routes through other people as peers and all in all it's a pretty bloated not so great piece of software.

Get the person to tap their microphone :p

Soldato
Still can't believe Skype is missing vital features such as being able to send a message to someone who is offline and for it to be stored in the cloud until they come online. Instead it'll only send the message when we're both online at the same time! Apart from this the service is OK but uses too many resources (mainly RAM)

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
Still can't believe Skype is missing vital features such as being able to send a message to someone who is offline and for it to be stored in the cloud until they come online. Instead it'll only send the message when we're both online at the same time! Apart from this the service is OK but uses too many resources (mainly RAM)

That is VERY annoying I agree!

Associate
I have been playing around with jitsi
https://jitsi.org/

Review from tech republic
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/wi...-the-ultimate-sip-voice-and-video-client/6366

Its basically a open source skype like program with encrypted video and audio.

At the moment its mostly in beta but it does work quite well, it also unlike skype allows you to change many settings such as the resolution of the camera rather than the skype way of picking it for you.
They are meant to be releasing a 2.0 version soon.

I think at the moment skype has the edge on ease of use but i think it wont be long before jitsi is the same.

I mostly use skype at the moment though as it works well.

Caporegime
What annoying Skype adverts? I use the free version and the adverts are very un-intrusive in my opinion.

The call quality is only bad if one of the people in the call has a bad mic or a slow internet connection.

Associate
I have migrated to skype but re-installed MSN alongside it. I just don't like the IM feel of skype. Also there doesn't (as far as I can tell) seem to be any way to add multiple people to a group and then right click the group and block or unblock all which I find very useful in msn.

Back
Top Bottom