Multiple BSOD out of no where.. help! :(

Associate
Hey all!
Hoped something like this wouldn't happen.
Anyway 3/4 days ago I was playing on my pc, just music inbetween the odd league game with a friend and I got a BSOD. Now this is my first one since building this pc back in January last year.

5960X (OC'd to 4.6GHz)
SLI 980TI Hybrid IChills
32GB Crucial Ballistix RAM
99x-pro MB.

Ran completely smooth from day one until the last few days.

Firstly I got an error with the BSOD saying ** BAD_POOL_HEADER **

Followed a few online things to fix it and tried again, worked for about a hour before getting another BSOD saying ** MEMORY_MANAGEMENT **

After following a few more online helptips I checked and found out that one of my RAM sticks if I place in a specific slot on the board (think it was A1) it didn't recognise it - however here's the weird bit.
If I put another slot of ram into that slot, it recognises THAT one, yet if I put the apparent faulty ram stick into any other slots... it recognises THAT fine. weird.

Anyway, I went with only 2/4 ram sticks (16GB) and that seemed to work okay for a hour or two before another BSOD.
This time saying ** IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL **

I found online that a full reinstallation of windows fixes it (along with others). So I burnt windows reinstall onto a USB and ran that, or tried... over 10 hours about 30 times, kept erroring at different %s.

Finally, I don't fully remember what difference I did but it reinstalled windows...and bugged with BAD_POOL_HEADER again... so did a full reinstall AGAIN.

This was last night, was working fine until about... 30 minutes ago (pc was on for about 6 hours) where it BSOD and said ** PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA **
Which if I recall from googling is to do with fault windows install and just needs to be repaired... so i put the USB stick back in, restarted pc, kicked open repair and instantly crashes and says " Windows Repair cannot fix this problem " ... nothing else.. other than try another option.

So I'm completely out of my mind now. I should also mention I've reinstalled every driver over the last few days encase it was one of those, taken apart my pc and put back together - eventually I'll get a BSOD again.

Atm it seems to go for about 10-60 minutes before it just crashes. All temps are below 40c.

anyone have ANY ideas on what to do...

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Sounds like a faulty ram stick mate. Try running memtest.
Didn't expect someone to reply so fast, still typing and sending encase pc randomly goes again.

I've done 3 tests today - mostly over the 6 hours today.

2 hours on (the stick I thought was faulty)
2 hours on 16 GBs
and then 2 hours on all 4 sticks.

all completed and with no errors. It's so weird.

But I can do another test, any particular set up you want me to use? all 4 ram sticks?

Soldato
Have you removed overclock?
That's the first thing to try when having problems.

Also in troubleshooting it's always good to try to minimize number of "variables" as in having only one graphics card connected.

Also do a full list of all parts including PSU.

Associate
OP
Have you removed overclock?
That's the first thing to try when having problems.

Also in troubleshooting it's always good to try to minimize number of "variables" as in having only one graphics card connected.
Also do a full list of all parts including PSU.

I've tried with both and single gpu.
Yup removed all overclocks, got even more bsod tbh when it was removed. Haha.

Including above list of components;

Nzxt kraken 61 cpu cooler
Super flower leadex gold 1000w FM PSU
Samsung 512GB SSD
Seagrave sshd 1TB HD

That's the last of any important bits anyway. ^^

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Morning.
I've tried memtest for a whole 12 hours on all the ram. Just finished pass 6 no errors. =/.

Any other ideas guys .. ?

EDIT - just restarted pc and it had two short beeps but loaded up completely fine.

Usually this is either 1 - ram. 2 - bios according to motherboard manual.

I reinstalled the newest bios (which I was on anyway) and even an older version but still get the two beeps. *shrugs*

Last edited:
Associate
OP
What PSU are you using and wattage?
As mentioned above, a Super Flower Leadex gold 1000W PSU.

I have however tested with an old PSU and completely same thing happens.

It seems aswell also, that if I use all 4 of my ram sticks in in slots A1, B1, C1 and D1 - I get the two beep (memory error) sound and will crash within 20 minutes.
If I use just two (16GB) so far it's been on 2 hours but I haven't ran anything other than internet/music.

I've also noticed really weirdly that I only have 2-3MB download speed whereas every other pc and phone in my house can get the full 140ish/150MB connection I have.
I've reinstalled drivers and uninstalled, tested with ethernet cable and wireless but nothing. Even bought a brand new wireless connector but I haven't been past 4mb download in the last few days.

I first thought all this was a RAM problem... however I'm starting to think it's something to do with the Motherboard..

Back
Top Bottom