1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multirotor, multicopter and quadcopter discussion thread (drones).

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RomanNose, 13 Jan 2012.

1. TheBrooder

Mobster

Do any shops do bundles to build your own?

Also, what lights are these?

2. Lowe

Soldato

I went from a Q4 to a LaTrax Alias and I love it. Plenty of grunt, responsive and virtually bomb proof. :)

3. Shoei

Wise Guy

Had to buy a couple of new batteries for my Q4. Fly it round the office at lunch times. Its great fun. Need one for home now to annoy the dogs :D

4. gandhi

Wise Guy

They do, but then you're tied to the components they pick, which aren't necessarily the best.

The lights are either COB LED 12v Vehicle running light strips off ebay, or they sell similar ones on HobbyKing.

Generally speaking you need:

250 Frame (Carbon if poss)
    Flight Controller (Naze 32 Acro, CC3D, Mini KK2.1, Flip32 etc)
    ESC's x4 (zMAX or EMAX 12a)
    4x Motors (DYS1806 2300kv, EMAX 2204 2300kv etc)
    5x3 or 5x4 props
    1500mah 35c 3s Batteries (Turningy Nanotech or Zippy Compacts)

Soldering Iron, solder, wires, heatshrink, nylon standoffs and other assorted gubbins.

Receiver and transmitter (range from £40 up £2-300) spend as much as your budget will allow!

Then it's just FPV equipment, but I'd advise learning to fly as is, before loading up on expensive FPV equipment!

5. booyaka

Capodecina

Just a thought - do NTM Prop Drive Series 28-26 1100kv / 252w come with mounts? or is this something i need to order seperately??

6. d_brennen

Capodecina

7. booyaka

Capodecina

damn - forgot to order anything like this.....

£1.20 each - £4.80 total for 4 ---- £5.18 postage for uk warehouse!

:(:(

Last edited: 3 Dec 2014
  8. howler

Wise Guy

The 250 bug has bitten me! Going to build one I think

Are the carbon frames stronger than the traditional plastic ones? The arms on the non-carbon frames look a lot more sturdy and less likely to snap when it goes tumbling through a field!

9. gandhi

Wise Guy

I've broken 2 arms on my CF quad, both at the body end of the arm through the bolt holes. First time I hit the ground at full speed, with a 2200mah battery on board as I was testing it. Second time I killed the motors at a height of about 80-100' by accident I think, landed on the arm.

Other than that, still going strong.

G10 is possibly a little stronger, but heavier.

I don't think many people break the arms very often.

10. d_brennen

Capodecina

I think a good few people make a meal out of breaking stuff. I've crashed my 250 a bajillion times on every type of surface (bar water, ice and lava, fortunately) and only scuffed it. Everything else however... Is not so resistant.

11. alexthecheese

Mobster

What would you guys recommend for a quadcopter or hexacopter setup for FPV? Wondering about hexacopter, if it'll be needed for a GoPro FPV setup, as it'll mean 50% more on ESC's and motors. What do you reckon?

What frames do you guys recommend for that?

12. krisboats

Mobster

Gone from these....
    [​IMG]

To this....
    [​IMG]

I tried the screen mounted on the controller, but it was quite bulky and a little annoying to use.
    [​IMG]

So i made the makeshift groundstation using an old lipo box to hold everything and a camera tripod
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Been really pleased with it so far. The lilliput screen i had was the cause of all my black "blue-screen" dropouts and this little £20 screen goes to a snow screen on low signal so i can actually use it now. Lilliput got ten feet before cutting out every 2-3 seconds and this one is fine at over 200ft now! The pixel density is pretty poor and the contrast isn't as good as the lilliput but for £20 its a great screen on a budget.

Sony cc1333 is a great little camera too!

13. alexthecheese

Mobster

You need to upload some videos of that flying from FPV. :p

14. booyaka

Capodecina

looks like no other option but to order the NTM Prop Drive 28 Series Accessory Packs from Hobbyking. Sticks in my throat a bit paying £4.80 for the goods and £5.18 for the postage!

15. alexthecheese

Mobster

Do 28 and 35 sized motors fit the same mountings on a frame?

16. krisboats

Mobster

Done a couple of laps round the bedroom with it while i was sat downstairs, seems okay with such limited space... although i did hit the metal lampshade on the roof, hence the chips in the nearest prop in the last pictures haha. :eek:

Hopefully getting a mobius to strap on top in the next couple of weeks so i can upload fpv vids :D

17. alexthecheese

Mobster

[​IMG]

What about this setup?

Not sure about the Lawmate, I don't think it's legal in this country is it? It's tempting due to the ridiculous range it offers.

18. Lisapete

Perma Banned

That Honbyking you gotta be super careful to check exactly where your ordering from. Just full check and 6x 3s 5000mAH £107 delivered.

19. alexthecheese

Mobster

Wassat Lisapete? Check other places for cheaper stuff?

Oh you mean UK or International Warehouse? Getting everything through the UK warehouse, can't be bothered with 3 month waits...

20. Russinating

Capodecina

Yep, illegal.