Multirotor, multicopter and quadcopter discussion - The Drone thread

Caporegime
Unless you must ahve the absolute best pictures, the air 2 every day.

I had the same decision last month and just couldnt bring myself to pay all that extra for the pro for ever so slightly better pics if you pixel peak.

Associate
Unless you must ahve the absolute best pictures, the air 2 every day.

I had the same decision last month and just couldnt bring myself to pay all that extra for the pro for ever so slightly better pics if you pixel peak.

Thanks for the reply dude.

I've watched and read about the "Mavic Air 2 vs Mavic 2 Pro" issues and come across some videos that would make the Air 2 seem buggy?

Like this guy here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cq8J-j_JwaA who is saying things like the Air 2 can only get 17-19 mins fly time and it is always disconnecting, now the video he posted is from when it 1st came out,

So i'm thinking it maybe had some issues at the start and they've been sorted with firmware updates, has this been your experence with the Air 2?

Caporegime
I have never lost signal or transmission at all with my air 2. Maybe the firmware updates fixed it? I had one when I first bought it and another the other week.

The pro has more anti collision sensors (downwards I think) than the air 2 and a bigger camera sensor but I would only pay £100 more those. Sadly the price difference between them is way too much.

Pro 3 is rumoured to be fairly imminent which should open the gap between capabilities and more the pro worth it again,

EDIt reading the comments on the video lots of people said all the bugs he was complaining about have since been fixed with updates. I only got mine in August.

Associate
I have never lost signal or transmission at all with my air 2. Maybe the firmware updates fixed it? I had one when I first bought it and another the other week.

The pro has more anti collision sensors (downwards I think) than the air 2 and a bigger camera sensor but I would only pay £100 more those. Sadly the price difference between them is way too much.

Pro 3 is rumoured to be fairly imminent which should open the gap between capabilities and more the pro worth it again,

EDIt reading the comments on the video lots of people said all the bugs he was complaining about have since been fixed with updates. I only got mine in August.

I think what you're saying is right and reading that now i can see that about the issues. Also like you said, with talk of the new Pro coming.

Thanks for the advice dude.

Soldato
Having the Phantom 3 Pro and Mavic Pro, I've now got the Mini 2. I wont get chance to fly it until the weekend, weather permitting.

It's soooooo tiny...........(the Mini, obviously :))

Soldato
So having just got an Air, original not the 2. What else do I need to do?

I’ve signed up to the local authorities, paid my £9. Read the local laws. I’m printing my labels today at work.

From what I can gather now is just, don’t crash? i flew it around the house last night, that was quite fun!

Associate
So having just got an Air, original not the 2. What else do I need to do?

I’ve signed up to the local authorities, paid my £9. Read the local laws. I’m printing my labels today at work.

From what I can gather now is just, don’t crash? i flew it around the house last night, that was quite fun!

Don't fly..
  • within 150m of either a congested area or an organised open air crowd of more than 1000 persons
    and / or
  • within 50m of people or properties/objects that are not under your control
  • Go above 120m
  • Fly it without seeking permission of the land owner, eg local park, farmers field, council land.

Or, don't buzz people, fly it at head height zipping around being a d*ck. Don't crash it. Enjoy it!

Soldato
Don't fly..
  • within 150m of either a congested area or an organised open air crowd of more than 1000 persons
    and / or
  • within 50m of people or properties/objects that are not under your control
  • Go above 120m
  • Fly it without seeking permission of the land owner, eg local park, farmers field, council land.

Or, don't buzz people, fly it at head height zipping around being a d*ck. Don't crash it. Enjoy it!

That’s everything I’ve read so that’s good.

Soldato
Can anyone recommend a decent budget drone (if such a thing exists!) - I'm looking to get something suitable for a 10 year old to mess about with - ideally an outdoor one so our walls and ceilings don't get trashed!

Budget-wise I'd like it to be more than £50 if that's possible?

Soldato
Can anyone recommend a decent budget drone (if such a thing exists!) - I'm looking to get something suitable for a 10 year old to mess about with - ideally an outdoor one so our walls and ceilings don't get trashed!

Budget-wise I'd like it to be more than £50 if that's possible?

Ryze Tello seems to be the best "toy" drone I could find, can be used both indoors and out (as long as the wind isn't too strong). A bit over budget though at ~£90 for the basic model or ~£120 with a few spare batteries etc.

Soldato
Just got delivery of a Holy Stone hs720e.

Just unpacked it paired the controller and phone and ensured it said something on the GPS regarding signal and that the motors all warmed up.

Now all packed back up for me to open on Christmas day.

Never had a drone, but the whole thing looks really nice. Only cheapness originates from the controller really.

I've done my test and have the relevant docs. I'll sit with my lad to get him a flyer Id over Christmas and then we'll take it out to lose it in a tree.

Soldato
What's the cheapest drone that gives you the wow factor with footage quality, so your thinking that this could be almost TV or movie quality?

Don
Any drone will produce crap footage if you have no idea about framing, composition, flying etc.
If you know what you are doing and are willing to practise then the Mavic Air 2 is probably about the lowest end for footage quality you would get away with as professional.
For movie quality you will want to fly something that can carry a camera capable of shooting 10-bit RAW. So, probably the Inspire 2 for that. £10k ish including the camera / lenses.

However, even the little Mini 2 can take some seriously cinematic shots if you are willing to learn its limits and work to its strengths.

As with anything, the model of oven doesn't have much of a bearing on the quality of the food. However if you are a good chef, you can make a feast with a microwave and a toaster oven.

Associate
The lads mini 2 takes pretty damn good images, albiet coming from a complete novice, I was pretty amazed with the video.

For a base model, it's an amazing bit of kit and with it being under the new 250g limit for the C0 designation, you have a lot more freedom where you can fly it. The Mavic is a brick if you follow the Drone Code to the letter, or at least may as well be.

Back
Top Bottom