Mummy, how does Daddy clean his gun?

Caporegime
Spamalot said:
Hmmm, why have you got a gun? I thought all hand guns have been banned, sorry to sound stupid.

From wiki.

"The United Kingdom has some of the strictest gun legislation in the world. All rifled firearms except low-powered airguns can only be obtained on licence on a "firearms certificate", while smoothbore firearms such as shotguns are subject to a less rigorous certification and registration process, on a "shotgun certificate".

"Exceptions to the ban include muzzle-loading "blackpowder" guns, pistols produced before 1917, pistols of historical interest (such as pistols used in notable crimes, rare prototypes, unusual serial numbers and so on), starting pistols, pistols that are of particular aesthetic interest (such as engraved or jewelled guns) and shot pistols for pest control."

Last edited:
Soldato
Energize said:
From wiki.

"The United Kingdom has some of the strictest gun legislation in the world. All rifled firearms except low-powered airguns can only be obtained on licence on a "firearms certificate", while smoothbore firearms such as shotguns are subject to a less rigorous certification and registration process, on a "shotgun certificate".

"Exceptions to the ban include muzzle-loading "blackpowder" guns, pistols produced before 1917, pistols of historical interest (such as pistols used in notable crimes, rare prototypes, unusual serial numbers and so on), starting pistols, pistols that are of particular aesthetic interest (such as engraved or jewelled guns) and shot pistols for pest control."

So I can buy, own and shoot legally a single action colt?

Commissario
OP
VeNT said:
whats that bit in the grip?
It's a spring. No, it's not a shock absorber (I chuckled at that suggestion, sorry), it's for making the hammer drop once the trigger is pulled.
pyro said:
So I can buy, own and shoot legally a single action colt?
Providing it's a powered by black powder or a derivative and is muzzle loaded, yes. As long as you have a firearms certificate with that particular type of gun listed on it.

K.

Soldato
But those are pretty much antiques by now, can they even shoot? Or does the law take into consideration replicas? Not that I can afford one of these... :o

Soldato
Sorry, Feekster, but I don't understand why. You've already got it pulled apart, the barrel is the only thing the dishwasher won't touch, so you still have to clean that. Surely the dw has no more scrubbing power than just wiping it down with some CLP on a rag (which you still have to do anyway). Did you actually run the whole cycle just for one gun?

Last edited:
Associate
Raist said:
Sorry, Feekster, but I don't understand why. You've already got it pulled apart, the barrel is the only thing the dishwasher won't touch, so you still have to clean that. Surely the dw has no more scrubbing power than just wiping it down with some CLR on a rag. Did you actually run the whole cycle just for one gun?
old caldari proverb say: He who questions man with gun often finds hole in self

Soldato
dymetrie said:
old caldari proverb say: He who questions man with gun often finds hole in self

In communist Russia, proverbs say YOU.

stalin_pointing.jpg

Commissario
OP
Not the whole cycle. I missed off the first rinse cycle as that's not needed but apart from that, yes.

The powder that I use (triple seven) is a good powder in that it doesn't need as much scrubbing as 'true' black powder. It leaves a lot less deposits which are removed simply by using lots of hot water. What better way to apply lots of hot water to the entire gun than stripping off the grips, taking it apart and running it through the dishwasher. It's made of stainless steel so rust isn't an issue.

There are also very little deposits left down the barrel. I run a cleaning patch soaked in 009 through it a couple of times directly after shooting and then do a similar thing with a patch coated in gun oil after the dishwashing session.

After it's been through the dishwasher, I dry it off, leave it to cool for a few minutes and then apply a nice layer of gun oil. Sorted.

Pyro, there are many modern black power guns available based on old tried and tested designs.

K.

Soldato
Feek said:
The powder that I use (triple seven) is a good powder in that it doesn't need as much scrubbing as 'true' black powder. It leaves a lot less deposits which are removed simply by using lots of hot water.
Changes my whole opinion of this matter, that does.

I'd still run it with a load of dishes, though. The extra lasagna particles could help break up the powder even more. :p

Soldato
When I first opened the thread and was waiting on the image loading, I thought you had done the inexcuseable, Feek.

I was expecting "Combat Tupperware" in there.

For those unfamiliar with the term, it refers to those horrible little things called Glocks......

Man of Honour
I hope you made Mrs Feek actually open the door and place the gun in the machine. A gun totin', beer swillin' Feek has no place anywhere near a domestic appliance. :D

Back
Top Bottom